+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RA Experience, AOR and Processing Fee (Few Questions)

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Hi,
I am thinking of applying for CEC immigration based on my RA experience and graduate studies. I have one problem that the university is not giving me a letter stating that I have worked as a full time RA despite my offer letter says that I am required to work as a full time RA when I am not taking any courses. I have almost worked 2 years and 1 term so far as RA/TA. I have a few questions. Looking forward to your feedback

1- Is my offer letter (and T4 and T4A) sufficient to prove that I have worked as a full time RA when I am not taking any courses.

2- If you get AOR after applying does it mean that your application is accepted and you will get immigration once they confirm all the information.

3- In case I do not fulfill the criteria do they return my fee or not?

4- In case I do not get approved is there a time limit before I can apply again and does it affect my next application?

Thanks in advance to all who reply to this forum.

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
Were you a RA after you graduated from school?

They don't count any work that you did during school, besides I don't think RA'ing is in the NOC qualified

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
I am a RA at the University of Alberta.

It is in the NOC qualified. NOC 4122. Its skill type A.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lahorimunda said:
Hi,
I am thinking of applying for CEC immigration based on my RA experience and graduate studies. I have one problem that the university is not giving me a letter stating that I have worked as a full time RA despite my offer letter says that I am required to work as a full time RA when I am not taking any courses. I have almost worked 2 years and 1 term so far as RA/TA. I have a few questions. Looking forward to your feedback

1- Is my offer letter (and T4 and T4A) sufficient to prove that I have worked as a full time RA when I am not taking any courses.

No. You still need a "Letter of Employment" from the university - can (should be) from your immediate supervisor. Must state the number of hours worked and the exact start date(s). See the application checklist for more info.

2- If you get AOR after applying does it mean that your application is accepted and you will get immigration once they confirm all the information.

No. AOR only means that CIC has received a "complete" application from you, it has not yet been evaluated. If your application is deemed incomplete, it will be returned to you. If it is deemed complete, you will receive an AOR and your application will be put into processing.

3- In case I do not fulfill the criteria do they return my fee or not?

No. No refunds for CEC applicants.

4- In case I do not get approved is there a time limit before I can apply again and does it affect my next application?

No, and "maybe" - it would depend on the reason the first application is refused.

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Thank you so much jes_ON. Your replies really helped me. I am trying to get the letter from my supervisor. The letter I currently have does not have sufficient hours as the university is giving me trouble in reporting the actual number of hours that I have worked. They say that they are only going to report the hours I have worked not related to my masters project. So they are reporting the following

Sept01/08 - Apr30/09 --->24 hrs/week
May01/09 - Jun30/09 --->15 hrs/week as supposed to 37.6 hrs/week
Jul01/09 - Aug31/09 --->11 hrs/week as supposed to 37.6 hrs/week
Sep01/09 - Apr30//10 --->11 hrs/week as supposed to 24 hrs/week
Apr01/10 - Aug31/10 --->11 hrs/week as supposed to 37.6 hrs/week
Sept01/10 - Apr30/11 --->10 hrs/week as supposed to 18 hrs/week

Can I explain this to CIC buffalo in a letter that they are not reporting the hours that I have worked. The checklist say that I have to give a reason why I am not providing an experience letter. Do you think it will work.

I also have another letter stating that I am working as a RA/TA with the department but it does not state the number of hours. Any ideas about how should I go about applying.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So, the issue you are having with the hours is the crux of the "RA" problem. You can apply and try to explain to CEC, but unless your university supports your claim that you have been employed for 3900 hours in the past 3 years, you are unlikely to succeed.

I personally agree with your university that the hours you spend on your thesis research are "study," not "employment." The fact that some people DO get away with it does not mean that you will, too.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just saying that the program is intended for those with successful job experience, and researching/writing a thesis does not fit with that purpose. There are other ways for you to qualify, tho, and I wish you the best in doing so.

- If you obtained a degree in Canada prior to your Master's program, you may qualify with one year (1950 hours) of experience.

- you can obtain your MA, get your PGWP and apply after 1 year of work.

- you can see if you qualify through the Provincial Nominee program
http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp-eds-semi-skilled-criteria.html

Good luck!

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Yes. The issue is with the number of hours. Most of the work done by RA is actually related to their thesis. Like I have not done anything which is not related to my thesis. So if CIC has the category 4122, they should realize that RA work mostly is related to their thesis. So if RA work is not acceptable as work experience then why have it in the NOC categories.

I am just trying to apply because I do not when they change the rules. One year is a long time. I wanted to apply in the FSW category but then they changed the rule and now I cannot apply unless I have a job offer which at the time is looking very difficult.

My department say that they do not believe that I can use this work experience to apply for permanant residence but here on this forum I have read many forums in which people have contacted CIC buffalo and they accept the work experience as RA. So the department say that if I can get a written confirmation from CIC that I can use this experience for PR application then they will allow my prof to give me a letter for full time RA.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lahorimunda said:
Yes. The issue is with the number of hours. Most of the work done by RA is actually related to their thesis. Like I have not done anything which is not related to my thesis. So if CIC has the category 4122, they should realize that RA work mostly is related to their thesis. So if RA work is not acceptable as work experience then why have it in the NOC categories.

Because there ARE research assistants who are EMPLOYED by the university. The NOC 4122 description states:
"Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges." Here it says nothing about the work being related to your thesis :)

So, you are being paid to help someone else with their research - not do your own degree-related research. Ideally there is considerable overlap, this is true. It varies considerably from one university to the next, some have limits on hours per week worked, some do not... With so much variability between universities, it would be difficult to expect HRSDC to write an NOC that perfectly matched everyone's situation...

I am just trying to apply because I do not when they change the rules.
Understood, this IS a problem...

One year is a long time.
You want to stay permanently, but one year is a long time? :)

My department say that they do not believe that I can use this work experience to apply for permanant residence but here on this forum I have read many forums in which people have contacted CIC buffalo and they accept the work experience as RA. So the department say that if I can get a written confirmation from CIC that I can use this experience for PR application then they will allow my prof to give me a letter for full time RA.

Wow, that's tough. I don't know how you will get that in writing - I assume you have already shown the NOC description to them, etc?

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Yes I have showed them the NOC description and they say that the information that has been supplied by CIC to the university states that I cannot use this experience for PR application purposes. For PR application I have to finish my degree and then work one year on PGWP to be eligible for applying.

When I told them that people are using this work experience for PR application purpose they said that if I could get that in writing from CIC then they have no problem allowing my proff to give me a full time RA letter. I contacted CIC buffalo through email and phone. But on the phone there is an automated message and there is no way I can talk to someone. I do not know how people claim that they have talked to representatives at CIC buffalo. The response to my email to CIC buffalo was that if I do not have a file number or application in process they cannot reply to any of my questions.

Do you think that if I apply and get rejected on the basis of insufficient work experience only, will I be able to apply again on CEC once I get the proper experience or is there a limit? Do you know what is there policy on such issues? I do not care about the processing fee, I just want to give it a try. I know a lot of people who did not have the proper points on FSW category but they still got approved by Sydney and Buffalo. What is your opinion should I give it a try or be patient and hope the rules don't change in a year.

Is there anyone or do you know someone who got rejected on the basis of insufficient work experience from CEC buffalo.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If I were you, I would wait, get the PGWP and work for a year (or alternatively, if you get a permanent job offer you could go the PNP route).

Yes, there are people on here who have been rejected because of insufficient work experience. If you don't care about the application fee, go ahead and apply, you will likely lose it (based on the hours issue). You can re-apply if your application fails the first time. However - and this is important - if CIC believes you have deliberately misrepresented facts, you will be banned from re-applying for... how many years, anyone?

But your choice - if you do it, please keep us posted.

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Thanks Jes_ON for you replies. Why would CIC believe that I have misrepresented the facts. I am still not sure if I will apply or not but in case I apply, I will explain CIC my situation and will leave on the CIC official to determine my eligibility. I will send in the letter which states the number of hours that I have worked and explain them the whole situation. Then its upto them to interpret my eligibility.

Thanks for your help and answers.

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
oops I just reread your OP and realized I'm wrong haha ;D

Good luck

idoit

Star Member
Jan 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Included
IELTS Request
27-04-2013
LANDED..........
27-08-2009
@lahorimunda: please don't make it a big deal. Explaining the unnecessary facts will just make them suspicious and will absolutely make the route for future applicants who are in the same situation as you much more difficult. If you are eligible which I think you are, just state hours and letter from your supervisor/employer that this guy did this and that...
I will apply, but not now, in 7 month. And what I see is that IN THE RULES, we are eligible. So why do we have to beg them? It is our right! :)
Take care

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cscat - here's the problem. The letter that the university is willing to write will document 2040 hours, but 3900 hours are required. Hours worked are not "unnecessary facts," they are an application requirement. Based on what the university is willing to provide, the OP will not be eligible by the end of April.

idoit

Star Member
Jan 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Included
IELTS Request
27-04-2013
LANDED..........
27-08-2009
Thanks jes_ON
Ok now my question is: Would it be ok if this letter is directly from the supervisor and the Department rather than the University itself or its Human Resources office?
cheers