+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding spouse sponsorship

OzGuy

Sep 10, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm an Aussie guy who's found the love of my life in Canada and we would like to get married so that I can stay . She's 21 and still a student. I would essentially be the one supporting the both of us. My question is, under the sponsorship requirements on the cic site, it mentions that the sponsor must be able to financially sponsor their spouse. How would this work in our case as she wouldn't be able to provide that she could support me financially?.

thanks for any help in advance..

OzGuy

dan-carol

Sep 8, 2007
Gooday OzGuy,

Read the CIC IP2, Family Class Operations Manual sections 5.25 to 5.33.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02e.pdf

It's a little confusing at first but there appears to be a few options available to you in your situation. I am curious as to what this means in 5.33:

5.33 Exception to minimum necessary income requirement
The ability to meet the minimum income requirement is mandatory, unless the
sponsor is sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or a
dependent child where the child has no dependent children of their own.

I am not an immigration lawyer, but that reads to me like it is not a requirement if you qualify as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner. Will you meet the requirements for spouse, common-law or conjugal partner at the time of your partner filing her sponsorship papers?

Cheers,

Dan & Carol
Philippines

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
it means, my friends, that under spousal spons. we don't have to meet any fnancial requirement she will still need an option C printout though.

OzGuy

Sep 10, 2007
Thank you soo much for the replies guys. That was the hope that I was searching for. I did notice it mentioned on the canada.visa site that it wasn't required to meet the financial requirements for spouses, but for some reason wasn't able to find it on the actual CIC site (excluding the manual!)...

OzGuy

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
"You don't have to meet the minimum income requirement in spousal applications", that I understand. But I also read that if you are called in for an interview as an applicant, you are most likely to be asked to show your own funds. I wonder if this is true. I think it should be the case. Because as an applicant you might have enough savings for moving yourself in and look after your family. It should help your case as they also look for being able to provide for yourself.