+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding SP and its application

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi,

Here is my case. I'm a 28 years old, single, graduate student. I hold a masters degree and was hoping to continue my studies in a Canadian university. I've been recommended for admission in a PhD program at a university in BC with a financial aid offer of $19,000/year. The semester starts January 5th.

My parents are retired and I have a cousin who has immigrated to Canada and is now a Canadian citizen. But he lives in Montreal and I'll not be relying on him for any help since he will be very far away. His sister has applied before for a visiting visa but was rejected because the officer was not convinced she had ties that will make her return back. Currently, I'm a research assistant at a university in my country.

I will be applying for a Study Permit, hopefully this month. And I was hoping someone could help me with the following three questions:

1. When answering Q.12 in the application form, sections (c) to (g), should I mention the cases of my cousin and his sister? I mean should I answer them with their cases in mind? According to the application guide (IMM 5269E), family members are the immediate members of my family. So, do they qualify as being a family member?

2. Will my current position as a research assistant at the university in my country be considered work? Or will they consider me as being without a job? And if so, will that affect the officer's decision?

3. What is considered an acceptance letter? I currently only have an offer letter from the university. Is that it? Or will I need another letter after accepting the offer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definition of immediate family member as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5351E3.asp

An “immediate family member” is considered to be a son, daughter or adopted child.

I am sure they do not change definitions between forms so your sister and cousin are not classified as immediate family.

I do not know if they consider you to be working or not. If they say you are not, they may feel you don't have enough ties that you will return. Can you get a letter from the university where you work saying that they are expecting your return when your studies in Canada are finished? That would help.

Your offer letter is good for an acceptance letter. Normally if you would apply for a position and get accepted, that would be the letter.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Leon. I doubt that I'll be able to get such a letter from the university since they consider research assistants as temporary employees. But I'll try my best because I don't have other alternatives. I'll also try to include a declaration of assets, although they'll be in my parents' names.

Regarding the documents I have to submit. Should I include a Police Clearance Certificate from the beginning? And must all non-English documents (e.g. declaration of assets or the police clearance) be translated?

04el82

oh mine case is also similar, i am also research assistant in the university of the volunteer based but i provide them my proof of employment with my study permit application.

If you don't show ur bank statement, hence pay 1st two semester fees to university and get letter from them and send it to embassy:)