+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding job scenario in canada

pelvil

Nov 22, 2009
Hello!
I am IIT, Delhi Graduate (M.Tech.) in Mechanical Engineering and M.Sc. from University of Alberta. Presently I work for one of the biggest MNC in India, Siemens, AG in India for over 2 years now. I have very valuable experience in Thermal and Fluid Mechanics and Renewable Energy and have also worked in Canada in Renewable energy sector for about 3-4 months on part time basis. Also, I am PR of Canada from past 10 months. Presently I am desperately looking for opportunities in Canada right from India. I am NOT p.Eng yet. So if someone can tell me:

1. What is the current job scenario in Canada? How hard recession has hit Canada?

2. I am planning to come to Canada in March-April 2010 and look for job opportunities there as it is difficult to make impression sitting from India. Is it good idea to land up in Canada without job offer?

3. Does anyone knows any job agent who could help me to look for job opportunities in Canada right from India?? Job agent who could help me to get in touch with prospective employers there. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Pelvil

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
the job scene depends on the kind of job u are looking for.

The scene is good if you ar ready to work in Macdonold/pizzahut.....drive a cab/truck....

If you are looking for a engineers job , the scene is bad and will remain bad unless you go and study in canada full time and then start from scratch. :)

V

vbond007

pelvil, your post is really eye opening.

In many forums people blindly suggest to oen another to search job from India, though they are simply graduate. They list various web sites as if no one knows. You are an IIT double graduate, which is more than PSU or equivalent to MIT of US. You are among top 0.5% brains of India. Then you are post graduate of Canadian University having Canadian work experience. Though you are not able to fix a job from India! Also u want to take help of any agent. This is a hard core reality and every one should understand it (including chandan in other thread)

Alberta (Edmonton & Fort McMurray) has largest job opportunities. But right now I see many people who are P.Eng, drawing s salary of 10,500/- CAD per month are jobless and finding job in middle east.

So wait for recession to subside. If you want money u can opt for Gulf. If you want good life you can continue in India. But I think, any time you move to Canada, initially for few months you may have to do odd jobs, so mentally be prepared for it, otherwise you will come back to India as I did! But after some time you will get your own level's job is 100% sure. If you won't get a good job, on one else will get, and people's faith from Education will be lost!

Though you are genius, and I am too 'small' to advise you.

boss2009, do you know University of Alberta is in Canada?

V

vbond007

boss2009, then why did you advice pelvil to 'study in canada full time and then start from scratch.'. He has already done his M.Sc. from U of A. And I think M.Sc. is a full time 2 yr. course.

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hi ,

Cool it.

The problem with canadian companies is , they want canadian work ex , candian edu....every thing canadian.

I know someone very close who worked for over 15 years in middleeast with US MNC's ( like shell , Mcdermott , aramco..) , he was a lead engineer ....he moved to canada , those very companies did not hire him in canada , coz , he did not have any canadian work ex . he worked 2 years doing odd jobs then came back to his old job in middleeast....
I mean to discourage no one , but it always helps to know the ground realities...

Best for him will be to , get a lateral shift to siemens branch in canada.

Anyway , everyone should take his own decisions , best of luck

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear all,

Things r not that bad in Canada as with elsewhere. Yes, recession has hit, but so it has hit India, US, UAE and other nations. On any front once we migrate to another country we would have teething troubles. Unless we get a job first and then move there. And with Canada that is virtually impossible, to some extent, though there r guys who got it too.

Now, as we have opted for PR, we must have thought abt it at length. And we also r prepared for the initial slogging, else we wouldn't have applied. Right? So brother, we will come there, we will have our hardships, we will do sublime jobs, but we will succeed too eventually !

I know of lots of guys who r well qualified, went thru that rigmarole and r today nicely settled too in Canada. I am sure the original poster of this thread is aware of that, moreso 'coz he had tasted the Canada gourmet already. But he has yet posted the query 'coz he is ready to bite the dust, ditto like all of us.

I am a BTech, an MBA, an Ex-Army Officer, a successful Crime Investigator, savings r quite Ok, am well settled in Dubai; and yet I look forward to having my port of call at Toronto, at the earliest; Why? Firstly, I have decided to move on from my home country (reasons r same like all of us); Secondly, no matter how big I get, I'll never be able to settle permanently in the UAE. While, at Canada... I can, I'll be for the rest of my life. Give a good life to my family, Good edn, Great Medicals... That's our primary concern, I guess today.

Initial slogging... we r ready to face for the benefit of our family, especially for our kids...

Plz correct me if I'm wrong, friends ?

jakram

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Hyderabad(Sindh) Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov'2009
Doc's Request.
Jan'2010
AOR Received.
(2nd)Feb'2010
File Transfer...
30-06-10 to London
qorax said:
Dear all,

Things r not that bad in Canada as with elsewhere. Yes, recession has hit, but so it has hit India, US, UAE and other nations. On any front once we migrate to another country we would have teething troubles. Unless we get a job first and then move there. And with Canada that is virtually impossible, to some extent, though there r guys who got it too.

Now, as we have opted for PR, we must have thought abt it at length. And we also r prepared for the initial slogging, else we wouldn't have applied. Right? So brother, we will come there, we will have our hardships, we will do sublime jobs, but we will succeed too eventually !

I know of lots of guys who r well qualified, went thru that rigmarole and r today nicely settled too in Canada. I am sure the original poster of this thread is aware of that, moreso 'coz he had tasted the Canada gourmet already. But he has yet posted the query 'coz he is ready to bite the dust, ditto like all of us.

I am a BTech, an MBA, an Ex-Army Officer, a successful Crime Investigator, savings r quite Ok, am well settled in Dubai; and yet I look forward to having my port of call at Toronto, at the earliest; Why? Firstly, I have decided to move on from my home country (reasons r same like all of us); Secondly, no matter how big I get, I'll never be able to settle permanently in the UAE. While, at Canada... I can, I'll be for the rest of my life. Give a good life to my family, Good edn, Great Medicals... That's our primary concern, I guess today.

Initial slogging... we r ready to face for the benefit of our family, especially for our kids...

Plz correct me if I'm wrong, friends ?
No my friend, u are 1000% right, we all suffering from the same dilemma, Life in sub-continent countries is so disgusting that sometime i said to my wife if i would have to go Iraq i will go, family is our formost priority, Would we like to see our children to grow in such a contaminated, hypocarte and polluted environment, no not all, one can bear all the hardship of life but after intial survival one can look around and can move ahead, its the fact Life is the name of struggle and determination, what a quote"No pain no gain" All the best to all!

pelvil

Nov 22, 2009
qorax:

I do understand that one should go to Canada without too many hopes. Though I have reasonable good qualifications, I am still worried about the job opportunities. I have seen Canada from close quarters and its good place to settle.

Anyway my situation is little different, I want to go there and settle as quickly as possible:

1. I dont have too much savings that I can survive without job for long , secondly I am in phase where I will like to have family and get settled quickly.

I am not afraid of hard work or expecting job immediately after landing there. However, I dont want to land up in situation where even after looking for jobs for long there is no sucess.

I hope that wouldn't be situation, maybe you are correct that we are over concious. However, we have to make sure that we gather as much information as possible before landing in Canada. Hope you can understand my point.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
dear pelvil,

the concern of urs r the same for us too. at this stage of our lives (vis-a-vis our quals) we r generally well settled wherever we r. but we yet decided to take the plunge towards Canada, why? Ur ans is as good as all ours.

said that, under no circumstances, in any new country, we can settle down with our coveted jobs imdtly. that imdtly will also be 6 months hence. and for sure we need to be prepared for that. 'coz, for the 1st 6 months we cannot get any (i repeat any) job to our liking, present position & quals.

it is always easier for a newbie to migrate than in our quals & positions. 'coz, he can easily slog better in low profile jobs than us. we, with our present well paying jobs WILL have a socio-cultural SHOCK. let's be honest & be prepared for it. buddy... 6 months of useless jobs r for us !!!

nonetheless, thereafter the sky would be surely OPEN...

pelvil

Nov 22, 2009
Hi,

Well this discussion is moving little out of track. What I wanted to bring out is how we can go about the job search in Canada. Well, we all know that we will have to slog for initial period so no point in discussing about it. What I am interested in knowing is:

1. How is the job scenario in Canada? is it really improving? Unemployement decreased to 8.4% in sept but increased again to 8.7 % in Oct, so will it get down to about 7.5% or 7.0% by March - April 2010?? I mean is situation really improving???

2. Right now Fort McMurray and Edmonton are good for job prospect is it true? and how job market for engineering jobs there????

3. What is the best approach to finding a job from India?? Is there any agent/agency that can be of help????

4. With so many Canadian citizens waiting in line what is the chance of a PR holder getting a job there?
Lets get answers to these from the experts that will help us in longer run and planning our stratergy accordingly.

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian economy largely depends on their largest trading partner and US is in deep recession. Most reports show economic growth next year (2nd half) but employment is a lagging indicator... Most economists are projecting 2011 for significant change in employment activities.

Calgary is oil driven, oil is still in flux.

Finding job in your area of interest is paramount, you enjoy your work and grow will time.... You can wait for some time but not many months, especially in IT where skill drives and you risk being out of touch--- Think it through!

H1BPRcanada

Nov 16, 2009
Hi Experts !

I dont want to deviate focus of the initiator of this thread !

Just have one more quesiton.

everyone is saying be prepare for 6 months to do odd jobs ! then we may find some jobs in our line of expertise. (6 months is a prerequesite to understand the canadian life ? because we have already done those odd jobs in USA !).

I think he is trying to catchup the canada market pulse , He knows we have to be prepared for the worst situation, But trying to avoid those kind of situations by taking the right decision ! Moving to canada at right point he may avoid the odd jobs :) may be after 6 months ? one year ?