Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi there! We are almost ready to mail the whole thing, just need to get a few more documents ready, but as we were filling in the forms, a few questions occurred to us, and I would be very grateful if you guys could help me with these (we are a Polish citizen currently living in Canada as a foreign worker - me, and my sponsor, a Canadian citizen; we are applying outland):

First of all: could anyone please confirm that the forms we used are all current? I know some were updated, I downloaded them today, but some have old dates on them, please let me know if we're using good ones.

General questions:
1. When dividing the package (modelled on the helpful post on this forum), where do we put relationship proof? all in one envelope, or maybe for each set of forms (sponsor, person sponsored) we provide the evidence that is required (so for instance proof of common law and cohabitation, and visits between us when we lived apart would be in the sponsored person's package)?
2. This is really bugging me - on the checklist as well as on the forms, can we write N/A when it's non-applicable, in pen? And do we submit forms (like the use of representative, which we are not doing) but with N/A written all over them, or do we not submit them, but put N/A on the checklist (in pen, because I assume the form does not give that option by default). For instance, I have no dependants and I don't want to submit that form, we are also not using a representative, my common law husband does not have a co-signer so he does not want to submit the statutory declaration of common law, etc.

Sponsored person (me):
IMM 3902E (06-2016)
3. There are some questions (bulletpoints) on this checklist (like question 7) in which I provide some information (like my passport information, etc), but not all of it (I have no dependants and no one else is attached to my application, so I am not providing any other person's passport information, etc. Can I just tick the box in that question (indicating I am providing the information) and not bother explaining, or should I write a letter of explanation each time I am providing information only on myself even though the form asks it of the PA and other dependants/ppl attached to the application?
4. In question 7 is my Polish ID (copy, translated and notarized), my full birth certificate (translated by a certified translator), proof of name changes (marriage, divorce, name change document) enough? The problem here is that the question seems to be asking me to prove my relationship to my family, and I feel like I don't have to, because they are not only not accompanying me, but are also not my dependants (I have a brother who is married and has kids, and my mother whose parents - my grandparents - are still alive), but I really would like someone to confirm this. And by the same token, does my family, which I will only list on the 'Additional family information' form and not on the dependants form which I will not include in the application at all, do they need to have medicals done and provide photos? I am not, at the minute, considering sponsoring any of them, but I would prefer to know if, should they not provide a medical/criminal/background check and photos, they would be barred from being sponsored by me in the future. In the same question it says "For each family member who is a Canadian citizen..." here I leave it blank, because my only Canadian family member is my sponsor. Correct?
5. In question 8 just put N/A on the checklist and then not submit the form?
6. In 9 it says "if you live in a country other than that of your birth.." - I live in Canada. Does that mean they want a copy of my work permit, or maybe the previous work permits I had? If so, do I need to notarize these copies? I mean, they have those documents on file...
7. In question 12 - I am the only one required to take the medical exam, right? (I already did, upfront).
8. In question 13 - just my photos, not my family's?
9. In question 14 - is it ok if I provide copies of diplomas from just university (BA, MA, PhD), but not high school, or does it need to be for all levels of education? And again, do I have to notarize a copy? I will also provide a few reference letters from employers.
10. What about those declarations in the end of 3902E? They refer to children (and I don't have any) - can I just not submit those? Or submit, but write N/A everywhere?

11. In guide 3999 it says that visas are valid only with the validity of the medical - they mean COPR, and when they say that we have to land before the deadline on COPR, right? Not the PR status? This guide also says that we should write N/A when something doesn't apply - does that mean that they *do* expect to see the unnecessary/non-applicable forms submitted, but with N/A written all over them, in each question?

IMM 5669 (12-2012)
12. Does my family need to complete the background check? They are not coming with me, and are not my dependants.
13. names of schools I attended - do I need to translate them, or do I write them in in Polish, their original language?
14. SO I am not to put my UCI number on this form (even though I have one)?

IMM 5490 (08-2013)
15. In question 1, is it ok just to give the month and year? We don't remember the exact date, at the time it didn't seem it would be necessary ;) Can I just tell them the truth, that we just met in a pub, as he was being welcomed as the new employee of the university I worked for, and I happened to be invited by the person who was organizing the welcome drink? So she sort of introduced us ;)?
16. In q. 4 - do gifts we give to each other for birthdays etc, as we are already living together, count? I mean, we didn't used to give each other gifts (unless I need to count buying dinner?), but since I moved in (Sept 2014) we have been giving each other small gifts, for birthdays, Valentines, or on no specific occasion).?
17. For q. 9 - can I just write in 'Answer on a separate sheet of paper' - or do they expect a short summary in the box *and then* a separate sheet?
18. In q. 11 it says that if you are CL you go straight to q. 20 (we are Common Law) - does that mean we leave questions 10-19 blank, or write N/A?
19. In q. 20 can I just write 'list of evidence on a separate sheet of paper, followed by documentary and written evidence"? Or do I need to write up the list in the box?
20. In questions 22-23 - is it ok that we did not have an official ceremony recognizing our common law status, nor a reception? I mean, our families met when my Mum came over here, and we had a very relaxed Thanksgiving then, but it was nothing fancy and it was not a reception of any kind. Do I need to explain this on a separate sheet, or not bother?
21. In question 24 - we've known each other since 2011 and we lived in the same country (Poland) until July 2013 when my then boyfriend got a job in Canada and moved here, whereas I had to stay for a year, but moved to Canada in September 2014 and I've lived here since, with him. So we basically were apart for one year - do you think I should explain all that in reference to this question, or just provide evidence for our trips and contact for that time?

IMM 0008 (11-2015)
22. In question 3 - there's only person in this application, me, right? Or do I count my sponsor?
23. What to do with the information on dependants - leave blank or write N/A in pen?
24. The additional dependants form - leave blank/write N/A all over it and submit, or write N/A on the checklist and not submit?

Sponsor (my Canadian CL husband):

Guide 3900/IMM 1344 (07-2016):
25. We sign the agreement (as mentioned in the guide) both of us, on for IMM 1344, right?
26. In question 6, what does he put in - he was born in Canada, to Canadian parents - so is he Canadian by birth or by descent?
27. He does not have a UCI - he can leave this blank, right?
28. In the co-signer bits (there is no co-signer) - does he leave it blank, or write N/A all over it?
29. In the section for signatures, do we write N/A for the co-signer or just leave blank?

IMM5491 (02-2016):
30. In regard to the Statutory Declaration of Common Law - he does not have a co-signer, which seems to be the only instance in which the checklist asks for a tick, but we might sign one between us and submit as evidence of relationship - so does he write N/A here?
31. As proof of his citizenship, is a copy of his passport enough?
32. In question 18 (he does not need to meet income requirements) - so he does not need to present interest evidence?
33. In 19, because there is no income requirement, he just puts N/A everywhere?
34. In 20 and 21 (he has no children or dependants and lives in Canada) it's N/A, right?
35. In question 27 - I did my medical upfront (on June 3rd), but all I got from them was an eMedical information sheet with a UMI number and my details. I know the clinic already sent the results to CIC. So what do we do here - I don't have an IMM 1017 as I didn't get anything like that, and the
doctor said I just need to give them the UMI number. Can anyone please confirm this? Do we tick this box here in question 27?

IMM 5481 (04-2012):
36. In "details of persons in udertakings in effect or *not yet in effect*" - does either of these include me? He never sponsored anyone before, so there are no undertakings for him, but there is the upcoming one, with me, so does he fill this in, or leave blank or write N/A? From what I understand, I am the person listed in 5A, whereas the "details" section refers to ppl in 5B etc, so my inclination is to assume that he just writes N/A or leaves blank but please confirm this.

Ok, so these are my questions (I apologize for the length of the post!) - I will be extremely grateful if anyone would answer those for me :)

Thanks! :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
A quick answer first:
I would have your sponsor be your representative, so fill out that form.
I would also use the form 'Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union'. It is true that technically you only need it if there is a co-signer, but many visa officers ask for it anyway. If you send it in with the application, it won't hurt, and if the visa officer is the type who wants this document for common-law couples, it will save time.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
canadianwoman said:
A quick answer first:
I would have your sponsor be your representative, so fill out that form.
I would also use the form 'Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union'. It is true that technically you only need it if there is a co-signer, but many visa officers ask for it anyway. If you send it in with the application, it won't hurt, and if the visa officer is the type who wants this document for common-law couples, it will save time.

Thanks canadianwoman! So you're saying that it is normal and won't cause any problems if he's my representative? doesn't it seem like overkill? We live together at the same address, so would it matter if we didn't submit the form, just say N/A, and then give the residential address the same as mailing address? Or is appointing him as my representative just to be safe?

And yeah, the declaration we wanted to submit signed by us, it's just that i don't know what to put on the checklist of the sponsor because it says 'if there is a co-signer'... does that mean we tick the box but write a letter of explanation or say n/a on the chcecklist but submit the declaration with not the sponsors documents but with additional proof of relationship?

And what about proving my relationship to my family that i have,but who is not my dependants nor want to immigrate? And do they have to take medicals and get clearances? If they don't will that bar me frim sponsoring them?

I much appreciate your answer and i would look forward to answers to these and the rest of the above questions,.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Having the 'Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union' will not look like overkill. I would just tick the box for it and not bother with the letter of explanation.
You don't need to designate your husband as your representative, but it won't hurt.

'Family member' for CIC just means your spouse or common-law or conjugal partner and any dependent children. So your parents and other relatives do not get medicals or police certificates. You could still apply to sponsor your parents later, even though they are not examined now. It is just when you omit mentioning a child or a spouse or partner, that you would not be able to sponsor them later. You also do not have to prove your relationship to these other relatives - that part of the checklist is for people who are sponsoring children or other relatives, not for someone who is being sponsored as a spouse. You have to prove your relationship to your sponsor.

You do have to list your parents and all siblings on the Additional Family Information form, even if they will never be immigrating to Canada.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thank you very much for your help canadianwoman! Much appreciated :)

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
3902:

As mentioned, your family is only your spouse and dependent children, not your siblings and parents (for questions where it says family members. You are still required to list them in the additional family info form).
3. Just submit the documents for yourself.
4. Yes.
5. Correct. Just put N/A on the checklist.
6. Yes, they want a copy of your work permit. I would get it notarized, since the guide specifically says: Send notarized photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. We submitted all her school records.
10. We did not include them since they did not apply to us.
11. Right, the visa/COPR will have a limited validity, but your PR status itself does not, provided you land before the expiry date of your visa/COPR.

5669:
12. No..
13. We transliterated them from Cyrillic, but did not change them otherwise.
14. It does say for CIC use only, so I wouldn’t put it there.

5490:
15. That’s fine. We couldn’t remember the exact date either. I imagine a lot of people don’t remember the exact date that they met as well. I just put a note explaining that it was in month X, but that we couldn’t remember the date.
16. Question is talking about your first meeting. Did you give your sponsor gifts on your first meeting?
17. I would first write and fill up the box, then include a separate sheet, although I suppose both options are fine.
18. It tells you to go to question X, so you skip the others. Leave them blank.
19. You could do either one. Just be sure that it’s clear.
20. Many couples do not have ceremonies when they become common-law. If that’s not something that’s common for you, then just explain that you didn’t do anything like that.
21. Say that you lived together for X amount of time, that you were apart for a year and he could not visit due to X reasons.

And yes, you can apply outland. Submit the outland forms with your Canadian address.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
MilesAway said:
3902:

As mentioned, your family is only your spouse and dependent children, not your siblings and parents (for questions where it says family members. You are still required to list them in the additional family info form).
3. Just submit the documents for yourself.
4. Yes.
5. Correct. Just put N/A on the checklist.
6. Yes, they want a copy of your work permit. I would get it notarized, since the guide specifically says: Send notarized photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. We submitted all her school records.
10. We did not include them since they did not apply to us.
11. Right, the visa/COPR will have a limited validity, but your PR status itself does not, provided you land before the expiry date of your visa/COPR.

5669:
12. No..
13. We transliterated them from Cyrillic, but did not change them otherwise.
14. It does say for CIC use only, so I wouldn’t put it there.

5490:
15. That’s fine. We couldn’t remember the exact date either. I imagine a lot of people don’t remember the exact date that they met as well. I just put a note explaining that it was in month X, but that we couldn’t remember the date.
16. Question is talking about your first meeting. Did you give your sponsor gifts on your first meeting?
17. I would first write and fill up the box, then include a separate sheet, although I suppose both options are fine.
18. It tells you to go to question X, so you skip the others. Leave them blank.
19. You could do either one. Just be sure that it’s clear.
20. Many couples do not have ceremonies when they become common-law. If that’s not something that’s common for you, then just explain that you didn’t do anything like that.
21. Say that you lived together for X amount of time, that you were apart for a year and he could not visit due to X reasons.

And yes, you can apply outland. Submit the outland forms with your Canadian address.
Thanks very very much MilesAway!!!! I am really grateful for your answer! :)

Ok, so now it looks like (at least for now), I know what to do, so back to organizing the file! :)

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
canadianwoman said:
Hello fellow outland common-law applicant!

It makes sense to me that your partner does not want to fill out the statutory declaration of common-law marriage, as it very clearly states he should not! I am on the forum today, however, because this morning I received an email requesting Form 5409. I imagine the CIC is not fond of being asked to read or update their own instructions, so rather than respond with an image of their forms with this information circled, I will agree with the advice above. Set aside the cognitive dissonance of cosigning your own application, and send it along. And get it notarized, I guess.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hey quercus! Looks like you're already advanced in having your application reviewed by CIC, congrats :)

Yes, I will definitely go and get the SDCL signed with my spouse in the presence of a notary - why not :)

thanks and good luck with your app!

maledil

Star Member
Aug 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2016
AOR Received.
11-05-2016
File Transfer...
SA 24-08-2016 PR App Processing 30-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Decision Made 10-02-2017 - PPR Email 21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 15-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-03-2017!!!
quercus said:
Hello fellow outland common-law applicant!

It makes sense to me that your partner does not want to fill out the statutory declaration of common-law marriage, as it very clearly states he should not! I am on the forum today, however, because this morning I received an email requesting Form 5409. I imagine the CIC is not fond of being asked to read or update their own instructions, so rather than respond with an image of their forms with this information circled, I will agree with the advice above. Set aside the cognitive dissonance of cosigning your own application, and send it along. And get it notarized, I guess.
Yikes that is exactly what I did. I sent them images of their own instructions telling me I didn't need to send in form imm5409! I would have just sent it in but I received the request just as I came back from visiting him and we weren't sure how to have it notarized by the same person as the form outlines. So after they requested it again without really explaining how to resolve that problem I contacted my MP who called them and confirmed they were OK with having two separate notaries notarize it. I sent it in last week. Hopefully I haven't poked the bear too much. Anyway I concur ALWAYS send in this form. This mess has cost us 2 months and as I've now discovered I may have angered CIC eek.

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
maledil said:
I sent them images of their own instructions telling me I didn't need to send in form imm5409! Anyway I concur ALWAYS send in this form. This mess has cost us 2 months and as I've now discovered I may have angered CIC eek.
I hope it didn't slow you down too much, but I have to say I kind of love that you did this. I was so annoyed that we were hung up because of this. They need to update their forms or train their agents! ::)