+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions re pre existing medical conditions and prescription coverage

nancyfit

May 5, 2018
Hi, I'm new to all of this, so forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been asked and answered previously, but I can't seem to find my particular situation.
Actually, I'm asking for my daughter, a US citizen, who is marrying a Canadian citizen. She has preexisting medical conditions that require medications that are costly. I inquired on Visitors to Canada insurance site and was told that she could be medically inadmissible, and that the insurance doesn't cover prescriptions for pre existing conditions. Can you give me information on this? Thank you!
This is what i was told--
"People who are covered with a provincial insurance plan can get a supplemental extended health plan that includes prescription drugs coverage, but during the waiting period of approximately 3 months from the date of arrival, new immigrants insurance policies do not cover any prescribed medications. Usually people bring their own supply (depending on the quantity allowed by the border security servises)."

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi, I'm new to all of this, so forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been asked and answered previously, but I can't seem to find my particular situation.
Actually, I'm asking for my daughter, a US citizen, who is marrying a Canadian citizen. She has preexisting medical conditions that require medications that are costly. I inquired on Visitors to Canada insurance site and was told that she could be medically inadmissible, and that the insurance doesn't cover prescriptions for pre existing conditions. Can you give me information on this? Thank you!
This is what i was told--
"People who are covered with a provincial insurance plan can get a supplemental extended health plan that includes prescription drugs coverage, but during the waiting period of approximately 3 months from the date of arrival, new immigrants insurance policies do not cover any prescribed medications. Usually people bring their own supply (depending on the quantity allowed by the border security servises)."
Spousal sponsorship is not subject to medical inadmissibility, but she can't just come to Canada and get health coverage. It depends on how they intend to apply for her residency.

nancyfit

May 5, 2018
Spousal sponsorship is not subject to medical inadmissibility, but she can't just come to Canada and get health coverage. It depends on how they intend to apply for her residency.
They are doing the Inland spousal sponsorship. She will be going through the 90 day waiting period that is required. My question is about the 90 days of no health insurance. I have looked at private insurance, but haven't found one that covers prescriptions very well. My daughter has expensive prescriptions. I was just hoping to get advice on where to look for insurance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They are doing the Inland spousal sponsorship. She will be going through the 90 day waiting period that is required. My question is about the 90 days of no health insurance. I have looked at private insurance, but haven't found one that covers prescriptions very well. My daughter has expensive prescriptions. I was just hoping to get advice on where to look for insurance.
People generally pay out-of-pocket for prescriptions unless they are on welfare/low-income or have extended benefits through their employer.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
People generally pay out-of-pocket for prescriptions unless they are on welfare/low-income or have extended benefits through their employer.
Prescriptions are not generally covered by provincial health. This is a general misconception of "free healthcare" in Canada.

nancyfit

May 5, 2018
Thank you for your reply. My daughter is disabled and on Medicare here in US. Her future husband is also disabled. But I imagine she will need to prepare to pay out of pocket for the first 3 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. My daughter is disabled and on Medicare here in US. Her future husband is also disabled. But I imagine she will need to prepare to pay out of pocket for the first 3 months.
Although there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship they may have difficulty proving that they have enough money to care for themselves with disability. Would suggest outland sponsorship. Your daughter will have to wait much longer for healthcare if she is in Canada waiting a year for sponsorship.

nancyfit

May 5, 2018
Although there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship they may have difficulty proving that they have enough money to care for themselves with disability. Would suggest outland sponsorship. Your daughter will have to wait much longer for healthcare if she is in Canada waiting a year for sponsorship.
I don't understand. Why would she need to wait for a year with the Inland sponsorship?

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
I don't understand. Why would she need to wait for a year with the Inland sponsorship?
Most would not qualify for provincial coverage until after their application is completed, and the average time to complete an uncomplicated application is 12 months. Given that your daughter and her future husband are disabled, it might take longer due to questions about their ability to cover their expenses in Canada. You don't get coverage just by being physically present in Canada. I would imagine that the three month stipulation "after arrival" means 3 months after arriving as a landed immigrant, not just as an applicant. If anyone has more details about this or if my reading is wrong, please correct me.