+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions Police Clearance - Canada (Applying PR & OWP under LCP)

lonelyhusband

Feb 8, 2011
I will apply my OWP & PR under Live-in Caregiver in 2 months and I just got a Police Clearance at the local RCMP here. Just wondering because there's a notation on the Certificate "This Check does not include offences under the Motor Vehicle Act. Contact ICBC for a certified Driving Extract" My question is - Do I need to get one from ICBC? (I'm a law abiding driver though - thank goodness no demerits yet) Or this Clearance that I got from RCMP is enough? And one thing more the validity of the Certificate is just 3 months. I know I get it too early coz I'd thought the validity is 6 months. Is it okay I will use this clearance even it's not valid anymore when I will send my application? Or I really have to get another one? huh another $22.20 again then! :( Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lonelyhusband said:
I will apply my OWP & PR under Live-in Caregiver in 2 months and I just got a Police Clearance at the local RCMP here. Just wondering because there's a notation on the Certificate "This Check does not include offences under the Motor Vehicle Act. Contact ICBC for a certified Driving Extract" My question is - Do I need to get one from ICBC? (I'm a law abiding driver though - thank goodness no demerits yet) Or this Clearance that I got from RCMP is enough? And one thing more the validity of the Certificate is just 3 months. I know I get it too early coz I'd thought the validity is 6 months. Is it okay I will use this clearance even it's not valid anymore when I will send my application? Or I really have to get another one? huh another $22.20 again then! :( Thanks in advance.
1. Did CIC request you to get an RCMP fingerprint check? If not, you don't need one. read the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp
PS the one from the local RCMP is not what you need anyway. You need a full national fingerprint check, not just a name check if requested.
2. You don't need anything from ICBC. Please read the instructions.

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Im also applying PR and OWP in a couple of months. What clearance/s will you get from your home country? I have sent a copy of my NBI clearance to Ph. for renewal purposes. Will this be enough or do I still need a fingerprint request letter from NBI/ police?

In regards to RCMP, I'm assuming that both forms (Request for Police Certificates and Fingerprint Request Letter) on Appendix C must be obtained and submitted.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

plussy said:
Hi

Im also applying PR and OWP in a couple of months. What clearance/s will you get from your home country? I have sent a copy of my NBI clearance to Ph. for renewal purposes. Will this be enough or do I still need a fingerprint request letter from NBI/ police?

In regards to RCMP, I'm assuming that both forms (Request for Police Certificates and Fingerprint Request Letter) on Appendix C must be obtained and submitted.

Thank you.
Please read the instructions. You don't require a Canadian Police Certificate unless CIC requests it. They will do a name check on their own. You need a new NBI check.

lonelyhusband

Feb 8, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Please read the instructions. You don't require a Canadian Police Certificate unless CIC requests it. They will do a name check on their own. You need a new NBI check.
Thanks PMM for the link. If only I ask here first before going to RCMP that would save my $22.20. Again thanks and appreciated!

lonelyhusband

Feb 8, 2011
See below link

http://www.gatewaytocanada.com/2008/02/nbi-clearance.html

plussy said:
Hi

Thank you.

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh, I get it. Thank you so much PMM and lonelyhusband. I thought I must do that RCMP thing. Appreciate it. :D

kitt1517

Star Member
Mar 14, 2010
Hi PMM

I'm going to apply PR&OWP at the end of March. Thank PMM for that link but I still confuse because a lot people told me that I have to get one from RCMP but from that link It says we don't have to (case by case) So do I need to get it? I'm sorry to ask you again just want to make sure.

Hi Lonelyhusband

Where did you do your canada police certificate? I think 22$ it's so cheap cause I try to call a lot of agecies they told the cost is 55$ - 60$ plus tax!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kitt1517 said:
Hi PMM

I'm going to apply PR&OWP at the end of March. Thank PMM for that link but I still confuse because a lot people told me that I have to get one from RCMP but from that link It says we don't have to (case by case) So do I need to get it? I'm sorry to ask you again just want to make sure.

Hi Lonelyhusband

Where did you do your canada police certificate? I think 22$ it's so cheap cause I try to call a lot of agecies they told the cost is 55$ - 60$ plus tax!!
I think that I would listen to what CIC says, that you don't need the RCMP check unless for it, rather than what a lot of people say. Lonelyhusband probably got a name check, rather that a fingerprint check. A name check is not valid for Immigration purposes.

lonelyhusband

Feb 8, 2011
what's the difference between fingerprint check and that of name check? Thanks

PMM said:
Hi

I think that I would listen to what CIC says, that you don't need the RCMP check unless for it, rather than what a lot of people say. Lonelyhusband probably got a name check, rather that a fingerprint check. A name check is not valid for Immigration purposes.

lonelyhusband

Feb 8, 2011
kitt1517 said:
Hi PMM

Hi Lonelyhusband

Where did you do your canada police certificate? I think 22$ it's so cheap cause I try to call a lot of agecies they told the cost is 55$ - 60$ plus tax!! I just went to our local RCMP in town province of BC. Actually is $20 plus tax 12% = $22.20. And since it's not need to get one I will just ignore the one I got.