Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Hello,

I just have a few questions about sponsoring someone.

I was born and raised in Canada and obviously a Canadian citizen. My boyfriend moved here from Greece so we can get married and we are going to live here.

Do we have to get married first before I can sponsor him?
Do I need to get an immigration lawyer to do all this?
Do I need to apply to be a sponsor? What does my boyfriend need to do?
How long does it take for him to get a PR card?
When can he start working?
Can we go on a vacation while we apply for his PR card?

I know these are a lot of questions but I have never done this before.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

kolibri

Star Member
Nov 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
17-05-2010
File Transfer...
15-04-2010
Med's Done....
01-12-2009
Interview........
09-06-2010
Passport Req..
17-06-2010 (rec'd 05-07-10)
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2010 (rec'd 16-07-10)
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
I would suggest first going to cic web-site to read the guide http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

If you lived with your boyfriend more than a year you can apply as common-law - then you don't have to marry him. If not - marry him first.
Also you have to decide whether to apply inland or outland.
He can start working as soon as he gets PR (applying outland), or work permit (applying inland).

Good luck!

stonecold39

Star Member
Apr 21, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK since that guys says the link its all current about immigration lawyer you can choose if you wants to he help you to guide your process only. and your papers will speed up but not the process .

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
You don't need an immigration lawyer unless there is some complication, like a criminal conviction or something. The information you need is on the website and you can come here to find many answers. Everyone is very helpful!

If you get married, you don't have to wait to submit your PR.. just the wait for the documentation you will need, such as the official marriage certificate, etc.

There are two applications that are completed, although you send everything to the same place. The first is your application as a sponsor. The second is his application as a PR. You will first be approved as a sponsor and then he will be assessed for his PR. The waiting times really depend on which visa office he will be applying to.. you can find that waiting time on CIC's website as well. Most of the time it is better to apply 'outland', which means the application is processed at an overseas visa office that serves Greece. He can still stay with you in Canada as a visitor, but he has to maintain legal status. Whenever he is approved, he will 'land' and is then eligible for work in Canada.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes, unless you've already lived together in a marriage-like relationship for a continuous year (common-law).

For a simple spousal sponsorship, a lawyer isn't usually necessary. Obviously it's your decision, but many people here have done the paperwork themselves just fine - it's not difficult.

You send the application to sponsor and the application for permanent residence together at the same time. The guide and application package you most likely* want is here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

*Note there are two possible applications, in Canada and outside Canada. That is to do with where the application is processed, and you can file the outside Canada application even if he is currently in Canada as a visitor. In most circumstances, this is the best option - it is faster, and preserves your right of appeal.

If you go the outside Canada route, the timeline is typically 2 months for the sponsorship (processed in Mississauga), then 5-12 months in Rome (Rome processes applications for Greek citizens), less if you're lucky. (The actual card comes in the mail a month after landing, but once landed, he is a PR.)

Through the outside Canada route, he can start working when he lands and becomes a PR. Through the in-Canada route he's eligible for a work permit after "approval in principle". However, often usually takes longer to get to than an outside Canada app takes to complete, so there's no gain there.

Through the outside route, you can go on vacation with no risks to the PR application. There's always a risk that - as he's not a PR - he could be refused entry into Canada when you come back from vacation. However, if the application is inland, such a refusal would then mean you also lose the inland app. Through the outside route, the risk of refused entry when he tries to come back is similar, but a refusal would have no effect on the PR application.

Key to avoiding refusal is making sure he understands he is "visiting" Canada (until the PR application is finished) not living here, and satisfying them that he will stay in status (extend status if necessary, or leave), and that he would leave if the PR application were refused.

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I just have a few more questions.

Do I need to pay anything to apply as a sponsor?
Is there a fee to apply for a permanent residence card?
How much is it to get married at city hall?

Also, when you guys so to apply from outside Canada, would that mean to send everything to the Canadian consulate in Greece?

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I suggest you read through the application package, and then ask if any of your questions aren't answered.

You'll have to ask your local city hall about weddings.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
The total fees, if you're sponsoring one person, are 1050. This include several fees, including one for sponsorship, a right to permanent residence fee, and other fees. You have to pay that before you send it in.

If you file outland you send it to Mississauga first, and then they send it to the overseas office when they approve your sponsorship.

Every city hall has a different fee.

Matthewc is right, read over the link he gave you carefully. All of that information is there.

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the quick responses. They are very helpful.

I just have a few more questions.

1. Where can my boyfriend go to get the police report or fingerprints? He has never had a criminal record in his life but to apply for his PR card, we need to provide this information to CIC. He is from Greece and I have looked at the CIC website and when I choose Greece, it gives me two names and phone numbers of people in Greece. My bf lives here in Canada with me now and we are getting married in two weeks and need to fill out the paperwork.

2. If my bf has a job offer and he is here on a visitor, can he somehow get a temporary work permit? I heard that this employer must call Human Resources Canada to get approved. Does the employer have to pay something to do this?

3. My bf also needs to have a medical evaluation. Does anyone know roughly how much these cost? What are the ranges?

Thanks for all info in advance.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
1. You will have to contact those people in Greece to get the police clearance. This is a very important part of your application. It may take several weeks or months to come in. You can get the fingerprints done in Canada but will have to send them to Greece.

2. I don't know so much about this but other members will. It depends on his field and qualifications but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for this.

3. I had mine done in Toronto and it was 180 for the exam and 20 for the lab work. It can vary wildly between doctors. You will need to pay cash. Be sure to tell them it is for an outland application.

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Hello sbw,

Thanks for the reply.

Just a question here.

After he get's his fingerprints done here then does he have to send those to Greece to get the police clearance stuff? Also, can we send in the application without the police stuff and then send in the police stuff as soon as we get it?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Yes, you have to have a police clearance from every country he has lived in for more than 6 months, so you will have to send to Greece for that.

As for sending the app in before you have the clearance.. some people have but some people say that you shouldn't. Try calling CIC's number and see what they tell you to do, or perhaps someone with experience will come along and tell you. It's really better to just send a complete application.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
angtao said:
How much is it to get married at city hall?
I just checked a dozen towns and cities in Ontario today. I seems that it pays to shop around for a marriage license. Every town and city (and township, etc.) sets their own price for marriage licenses. I found $100, $115, $125, $130, and $153. Once you have a license from any Ontario municipality, it's good anywhere in the province for 90 days. Some take cash, some won't, some take debit and/or credit. Some will do it while you wait, some take 2 days. Some you have to make an appointment in advance.

Of those dozen places I checked, 3 mentioned on their websites that they perform ceremonies as well. Ottawa charges $153, Carleton Place charges $200, and Toronto charges $75 (plus GST). I'm pretty sure Ottawa gives you the room for an hour for picture taking, etc., but it only holds 10 people (including the official). Toronto only gives you half an hour. I'm not sure what you get from Carleton Place for $200. You need to check around.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Two things.
1. You said he is living with you here in Canada. Does he have legal status now? As a visitor from a visa exempt country you can only stay for six months without an extension. If he is here illegally it would jeopardize his PR process.

2. As far as getting married. Be sure to have your marriage full documented. Lots of pictures, and witnesses that can vouch for the validity of the marriage. The Immigration asks if parents and family are present. You can get married without them being present. But having them does add validity, that this is not a marriage of convince.

3. (ok one more point). It is my opinion that Canada discriminates people getting married to outsiders. For one that means you can not automatically bring your spouse into the country to stay permanently without them having PR status. (I understand lots of people come here under the guise of marriage. Only to have other plans.) Many of our married members wishing to immigrate from countries that require visa are refused entry until the PR is complete.
Also being married entitles you to none of the legal benefits otherwise taken for grant. No Health Care, or other benefits without a Health Card. Third not only can he not work, but it is illegal for him to work and support your new family without a work permit. To get a work permit, means the employer has to file for LMO (which takes at least a month to process) that says they can not find a Canadian to do the work, and it is in Canada's best interest to hire an alien (from another country).

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Hi Sog,

Me and my boyfriend were trying to decide where we want to spend the rest of our lives together and we decided on Canada. He came here on a 6 month visitor and I called CIC and they said that he can extend his visitor permit for another 6 months if we fill out some forms and pay $75.

He is here now and he is not working as he does not have a work permit.

I don't really understand the last paragraph that you wrote to me. He is here legally.