+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions around just a short landing trip

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
Hi, I finally got my COPR and now plan to do a short trip (10 days) for landing. I read on other posts on this forum that it is possible by telling the immigration that I am staying at a friend's place and ask for the PR card to be sent by mail to that friend's address. I have the following questions and appreciate help :

1. at the border as a visitor, it's quite common the immigration officer will ask 'who do you travel with?' 'how long do you stay in Canada?'; for now I will cross the immigration with my COPR, will the officer ask me 'how long do you stay in Canada?'
if yes, should I say my actual plan staying for 10 days? or it is not advised to say 10 days because suppose I am expected to stay in Canada and wait for my PR card which may only be available after 2 months from my landing date?
how should I answer that question if being asked?

2. with the current ETA introduction, it seems for PR, you must show a PR card when re-enter Canada; therefore it will mean my friend has to mail me the PR card when he receives it for me, so does it mean once I leave Canada after this 10-day trip for landing, I can only re-enter Canada after I get my PR card through my friend ?

Thanks for your help!

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
Hi, I just read the instruction information from CIC website site; it describes about the interview process at the border and ask to be prepared with the following questions and it includes 'how long do you plan to stay in Canada?' Appreciate your help sharing tips on how to handle this question; is it fine to say my plan of just a 10-day trip for landing? or should it be stay and wait for the PR card to be ready?

reference from CIC website: be prepared to answer questions,
- are you travelling with your family
- have you been convicted of a serious crime in your home country
- how much money do you have with you
- how long do you plan to stay in Canada
- are you healthy
- have you been to Canada before? were you required to leave?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
smile1212 said:
1. if yes, should I say my actual plan staying for 10 days? or it is not advised to say 10 days because suppose I am expected to stay in Canada and wait for my PR card which may only be available after 2 months from my landing date?
how should I answer that question if being asked?

2. with the current ETA introduction, it seems for PR, you must show a PR card when re-enter Canada; therefore it will mean my friend has to mail me the PR card when he receives it for me, so does it mean once I leave Canada after this 10-day trip for landing, I can only re-enter Canada after I get my PR card through my friend ?
Hi

1. If asked, you need to be honest. There is no rule stating that you must remain in Canada after you land. Many people land and then return home to wrap up their affairs.

2. You can apply for a PR Travel Document if you want to return prior to receiving your PR card.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
smile1212 said:
Hi, I just read the instruction information from CIC website site; it describes about the interview process at the border and ask to be prepared with the following questions and it includes 'how long do you plan to stay in Canada?' Appreciate your help sharing tips on how to handle this question; is it fine to say my plan of just a 10-day trip for landing? or should it be stay and wait for the PR card to be ready?

reference from CIC website: be prepared to answer questions,
- are you travelling with your family
- have you been convicted of a serious crime in your home country
- how much money do you have with you
- how long do you plan to stay in Canada
- are you healthy
- have you been to Canada before? were you required to leave?
these are questions specific to traveling to and entering canada as a visitor. Canadians and PRs are not asked these questions at entry. since you'll be handing them your COPR as soon as you get up to the window/booth and the first thing you say to them is something along the lines of "i'm here to land as a pr", you won't be asked these questions. more than likely they will ask "where are you coming from", "what's the purpose of your trip", and "do you have any alcohol, tobacco, firearms and food". you will be taken to secondary to do the landing proceedure and will be asked the questions written on your COPR.

kamalnba

Star Member
Oct 27, 2011
Appreciate your help.

I have got my COPR and expiry is 22nd June 2018. I am planning to go Canada in the month of April 2018 to activate my PR card. It would be short trip from 12-15 days and will come back. Can you please help me with below queries.

1. Is there any bad effects of travelling late or after 6-7 months after getting COPR?
2. What should be answered to Immigration officer in case he/she enquirers for duration of stay?
3. Can Immigration officer asks for initial stay and near future plans in canada?
4. Regarding Proof of funds need to shown to officer. It should be carried as a cash or Bank Statements would do with carrying couple of thousand CAD along in cash?
5. If God Forbidden, PR Card gets lost during courier. What are the chances PRTD can be rejected?

Thanks in Advance and have a nice day!!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Appreciate your help.

I have got my COPR and expiry is 22nd June 2018. I am planning to go Canada in the month of April 2018 to activate my PR card. It would be short trip from 12-15 days and will come back. Can you please help me with below queries.

1. Is there any bad effects of travelling late or after 6-7 months after getting COPR?
2. What should be answered to Immigration officer in case he/she enquirers for duration of stay?
3. Can Immigration officer asks for initial stay and near future plans in canada?
4. Regarding Proof of funds need to shown to officer. It should be carried as a cash or Bank Statements would do with carrying couple of thousand CAD along in cash?
5. If God Forbidden, PR Card gets lost during courier. What are the chances PRTD can be rejected?

Thanks in Advance and have a nice day!!
1. No. It does not matter as long as you land prior to the expiry.
2. You should be honest with the officer.
3. Yes they can. If they do, you can just explain you are doing a short trip now and will be permanently moving later.
4. You do not need proof of funds to land as a sponsored PR
5. This I don't know

Reactions: kamalnba

kamalnba

Star Member
Oct 27, 2011
1. No. It does not matter as long as you land prior to the expiry.
2. You should be honest with the officer.
3. Yes they can. If they do, you can just explain you are doing a short trip now and will be permanently moving later.
4. You do not need proof of funds to land as a sponsored PR
5. This I don't know
Thanks for prompt reply but One of the requirement during landing is Proof of Funds, Need help to understand if you need to carry whole money in cash or Bank statement would be good. Along with Bank statement if we can carry around 7-8 k CAD for expenditure.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thanks for prompt reply but One of the requirement during landing is Proof of Funds, Need help to understand if you need to carry whole money in cash or Bank statement would be good. Along with Bank statement if we can carry around 7-8 k CAD for expenditure.
Are you landing under family class or a different immigration stream? This forum is for family class and there is no requirement to show proof of funds for family class, so I'm not sure. You may want to ask about this in the other forum related to your immigration stream where there would be more information :)