+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about the forms for Quebec undertaking + sending more documents to CIC

MontrealPQ

May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
AO1 15-02-2017, AOR2 27-02-2017
I am sponsoring my wife from the Philippines. So the CIC emailed me, saying I was approved as a sponsor, and that our demand for a permanent resident status was sent to the Manila office for evaluation at a future date. I am now invited to conclude an undertaking with the Quebec government to obtain a CAQ number, so our demand can be processed forward.

I filled all the forms but I just have a few questions regarding them.

On form A-546-GF-dyn (Undertaking application form, family class), Question 2 (Information on your spouse (where applicable))

Is this to be filled if I am sponsoring my spouse who lives in the Philippines, or only if I have a spouse in Canada who acts as a cosigner for the sponsored person? As on question 3 I must fill all the info for the sponsored person (my spouse), it isn't clear to me.

My other question is in regards to question 3 (and it is the same thing on question 1 of the Application for selection certificate - Family class form).

In the Philippines, at birth a child is given his/her mother's last name as her middle name, and her father's last name as her last name.

When later in life a woman gets married, on her official documents, her last name (father's name) becomes her middle name, and her husband's name becomes her last name.

Suppose my wife's name at birth was Jasmine Valencia Gomez, and my last name is Johnson. So on her official documents, she is now Jasmine Gomez Johnson (my wife changed her passport, etc. to that effect).

The Quebec form goes like this:

Family name at birth
First name(s)
Family name after marriage (where applicable)
Other family name(s)
Other first name(s

1-Should I put Valencia Gomez in "family name at birth", Jasmine in "First name(s)", Gomez Johnson in (Family name after marriage (where applicable)), and nothing in the other categories?

2-Or should I put Gomez in "family name at birth", Jasmine in "First name(s)", Johnson in (Family name after marriage (where applicable)), Valencia in (other family name), and nothing in (other first name)?

I know that with the CIC forms I sent, I put it as option 1. However when the CIC emailed me, it said "This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class you submitted on behalf of JASMINE JOHNSON and family (if applicable)." So I don't quite know what to do this time.

I know that Quebec doesn't allow a wife to take on her husband's last name, so I suppose they will revert her to her maiden's name at some point. Or maybe what will happen is that they will only allow her to be registered in provincial records and send her provincial ID (driver's license, health cards and others) under her maiden's name.

Furthermore, since the visa will be processed in Manila, if I have to send documents at a later date, I wonder if I have to send them in Mississauga or in Manila, and if so at which address or through which process?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Re: Questions about the forms for Quebec undertaking

Hi!

You do not need to fill section 2. You would need to fill it only if your wife would be in Canada and helping you to sponsor someone else.

Section 3 is the one you have to fill as you sponsor your wife.

Regarding the name, I am not sure. To me, the option 1 appears logical. But maybe you should post this question in the thread for Manila visa office.

Regarding the husband's name in Quebec... I don't think your wife will have to use her maiden name here. The rule is for weddings being celebrated in Quebec. But not so far in our history, the wife had to option of taking the husband name. So there are still plenty of women with their husband name in Quebec. It is just not allowed to do it anymore.

If IRCC requires additional documents, they will indicate you at which address you have to send the documents.

Best of luck with the whole process!

MontrealPQ

May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
Re: Questions about the forms for Quebec undertaking + sending documents

Merci pour les réponses, Sylvain.

As far as the last name goes, my understanding is that in the case of an immigrant spouse, the Quebec government will force the spouse to revert back to her maiden name, as far as they are concerned, at least when it comes to any official documents or records pertaining to the provincial level. It did surprise me however that the Quebec government is not asking for a copy of her birth certificate, only a copy of her passport (in colors).

My only worry is if it could cause conflicts when she later tries to open a bank account, sign a contract, etc... if her records on the federal level, for instance her social insurance number, are with my last name, but not her driver's license or other provincial documents. If this could create duplicate files at Equifax and Transunion and make it very difficult for her to apply for a credit card or a car loan, or other similar situations.

As far as I'm concerned this law is extremely stupid, but not much that we can do.

As for sending documents, there was a small issue with our marriage contract, in that the town of birth was wrong and didn't match the one on her birth certificate. We initiated a demand to change it so we could order a new one, but were told it would take about four months. Back then, I started a thread here, explaining the situation, and I was told that since it would take months before the Manila office would be able to start processing my file anyway, I could simply insert a note explaining the situation along with our marriage contract, and send them the updated one when we would have it. So that is what I did.

MontrealPQ

May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
I found out that unlike with the CIC, it is possible to call the Ministry of Immigration of whatever that is of Quebec to ask questions about how to fill the application. So I did, and I was told that it had to match the way it was presented on my wife's passport (in my case, her last name + my name). So option 1 it is. Hopefully, they will understand that in the CIC's letter, it only states my wife's first name + my last name, even though I submitted her name to the federal government with option 1 to begin with.

MontrealPQ

May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
On second thought I really am not sure anymore... I looked at Filipino passports, and it says "Surname", "Given name" and "Middle name"... so what do I do with the middle name? I know that as I said, the federal government removed my wife's middle name entirely when I check my wife's status on the CIC website and in the letter they sent me (although I put both her middle name and her surname in the "name section).

What is even more confusing is that they ask for the name at birth, but there is no section for "other names" in this case... so do just I skip the middle name entirely on all the documents?

shahriar6567

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hello everyone, in some of the forms in KIT A, there is a note which says :
Please note that this form must be filled out in French. This English translation is included only to help you do so accurately.

And the only form which already has the French version is
SPONSOR’S OR CO-SIGNATORY SPOUSE’S DECLARATION OF AUTHORIZATION,

Should I search for the French version of the forms for Undertaking Form (A-0546-GA) and Documents to submit in support of an undertaking application (A-1520-BA) ?

Marthea217

Jul 14, 2017
Hello everyone, in some of the forms in KIT A, there is a note which says :
Please note that this form must be filled out in French. This English translation is included only to help you do so accurately.

And the only form which already has the French version is
SPONSOR’S OR CO-SIGNATORY SPOUSE’S DECLARATION OF AUTHORIZATION,

Should I search for the French version of the forms for Undertaking Form (A-0546-GA) and Documents to submit in support of an undertaking application (A-1520-BA) ?
Yes you should search for them cause you have to send the french version A-0546-Gf and A-0546-Bf

Reactions: shahriar6567

Marthea217

Jul 14, 2017
oops the other one is A-1520bf
can you tell me in the undertaking a-0546-ga
section 4 information on family members of the principle sponsored person so in here I will write my daughter,so on the section 4.2 dependent children under 22yrs old ......should I also right my daughter's name?
thanks

sh.mo2018

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Hi,

I have a question about form A-0527-AO.
Do I have to print all 3 pages? or only the last page in French. because 1st page is a general information explaining the document and the 2nd page is in English and say (Specimen).

Thank you