+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about temporary visit visa (tickets and med. insurance)

noc_2174

Feb 17, 2021
Hi, we (me, wife and kid) recently got a PR status, and I want to invite my mother or my mother in law here using 6 month visit visa. In the online application they request several thing that I am confused about.
1. Purpose of Travel - Other (required).
You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.​
Examples of what you can provide as proof:​
A scanned copy of:​
Your flight ticket departing Canada,​
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),​
Proof of a medical appointment.​
So, she is going to stay in our house, not the hotel, and therefore only proof I can provide is the flight ticket. The problem is how can I know when she will get (if she ever gets) visa to know when can she arrive and leave Canada?​
2. Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
You must provide proof of medical insurance coverage for one year with a Canadian insurance company (a copy of the insurance certificate or policy).​
This is similar to ticket question, also if the visit is for 6 months max, why do I need to provide 1 year insurance? If I get insurance, can I get reimbursement for the days she isn't in Canada, or get a full refund if she doesn't come to Canada during that 1 year period or if she don't get visa at all? Any recommendations on insurance companies?​

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, we (me, wife and kid) recently got a PR status, and I want to invite my mother or my mother in law here using 6 month visit visa. In the online application they request several thing that I am confused about.
1. Purpose of Travel - Other (required).
You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.​
Examples of what you can provide as proof:​
A scanned copy of:​
Your flight ticket departing Canada,​
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),​
Proof of a medical appointment.​
So, she is going to stay in our house, not the hotel, and therefore only proof I can provide is the flight ticket. The problem is how can I know when she will get (if she ever gets) visa to know when can she arrive and leave Canada?​
2. Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
You must provide proof of medical insurance coverage for one year with a Canadian insurance company (a copy of the insurance certificate or policy).​
This is similar to ticket question, also if the visit is for 6 months max, why do I need to provide 1 year insurance? If I get insurance, can I get reimbursement for the days she isn't in Canada, or get a full refund if she doesn't come to Canada during that 1 year period or if she don't get visa at all? Any recommendations on insurance companies?​
would really suggest that you come to Canada and get established before having your parents apply for TRVs. There are often concerns that they may be attempting to move to Canada with you.

noc_2174

Feb 17, 2021
would really suggest that you come to Canada and get established before having your parents apply for TRVs. There are often concerns that they may be attempting to move to Canada with you.
We are in Canada since Aug 2019, and I come with work visa and still working at the same company as a software developer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are in Canada since Aug 2019, and I come with work visa and still working at the same company as a software developer.
Oh ok. If not vaccinated by one of the approved vaccines in Canada you'll need to provide a quarantine plan in a basement suite or hotel/airbnb. For the remaining time you can just say that she will be staying with you and your address.

You don't technically need to buy medical insurance for a TRV although I would highly recommend it. Most plans allow you to start coverage when you arrive in Canada and cancel when you leave.