+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about marriage proof on Express Entry

tp_marina

Star Member
Nov 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone! I'm new around here and just getting started on the Express Entry proccess.

I have a few questions about the marriage proof required and will be very thankful if you guys could help me.

Me and my boyfriend would like to apply to express entry as a married couple. We plan on getting married soon but we still have a lot to figure out, so "getting married soon" could mean during the next year or even the year after that. The worst is that we can't prove common-law partnership at this point. Obviously, we would marry as soon as possible if we did receive an invitation to apply.

So my questions are:

- At which point do they require you to submit proof of marriage? As far as I can tell, it's only after receiving the ITA, so we wouldn't have to prove that we're married to create an Express Entry profile. Is this correct?

- Most importantly, suppose we create an Express Entry profile as a married couple (even though we are still not married), then receive an ITA, THEN we get married and submit our marriage certificate. Would we be disqualified because our marriage date is after the ITA date? Does anyone have any idea about this?

StAnger

Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tp_marina said:
Hi everyone! I'm new around here and just getting started on the Express Entry proccess.

I have a few questions about the marriage proof required and will be very thankful if you guys could help me.

Me and my boyfriend would like to apply to express entry as a married couple. We plan on getting married soon but we still have a lot to figure out, so "getting married soon" could mean during the next year or even the year after that. The worst is that we can't prove common-law partnership at this point. Obviously, we would marry as soon as possible if we did receive an invitation to apply.

So my questions are:

- At which point do they require you to submit proof of marriage? As far as I can tell, it's only after receiving the ITA, so we wouldn't have to prove that we're married to create an Express Entry profile. Is this correct?

- Most importantly, suppose we create an Express Entry profile as a married couple (even though we are still not married), then receive an ITA, THEN we get married and submit our marriage certificate. Would we be disqualified because our marriage date is after the ITA date? Does anyone have any idea about this?
Marriage certificate is required post ita along with other documents. So it upfront.

Getting ITA based on false data is misinterpretation and can lead to consequences. I would suggest you to get married and than proceed.

MooseNBooze

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-05-2016
LANDED..........
25-12-2016
StAnger said:
Marriage certificate is required post ita along with other documents. So it upfront.

Getting ITA based on false data is misinterpretation and can lead to consequences. I would suggest you to get married and than proceed.
This. If you're not married yet, then you're not married yet. Also, have you tried calculating points as a single applicant? The thing is there might not be much of a difference in points. No reason to rush such a life-altering thing as marriage just to get a little bump in your EE app. Best wishes to you.

tp_marina

Star Member
Nov 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MooseNBooze said:
This. If you're not married yet, then you're not married yet. Also, have you tried calculating points as a single applicant? The thing is there might not be much of a difference in points. No reason to rush such a life-altering thing as marriage just to get a little bump in your EE app. Best wishes to you.
The problem is not the points. It would actually be easier to apply as a single applicant, and I would get a few more points than we get by applying together.
The problem is that I can get past the 450 points by myself but he can't, so the chances of him getting an ITA are way too low. We just want to apply together to make sure that we can go together.
If I apply as a single applicant, and receive an ITA, there's no way to bring my boyfriend with me. Or am I missing anything?

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it possible to do your marriage registration for now and then do the actual "getting married" later... it is done in numerous cultures that way.... maybe just get the signed document, but you can always stay at your own places or plan a big wedding etc for a later date and then move in as a "married couple" once you are ready...
Depends on culture really.. but where I come from, the marriage certificate/ registration is often done a good 1 or 2 years before "getting married and moving in"...

With regards to your questions:
1) You don't need to show proof of marriage until after ITA
2) However, if you say that you are married when filling out EE, and then you have a marriage license date of after EE/ after ITA, then that will be misrepresentation.. so would strongly suggest that you do not do it..

You need to decide regarding your marriage first.... if you both are 1000% sure that you want to go ahead with the wedding.... that should be your biggest life changing decision to worry about....then the Canada PR issue is secondary...

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi tp_marina,

I applied as single and later decided to add my bf in the application. So we wanted to apply as common law. This is not a good option accroding to me because you need to have proof of this - having a doc to show you live in the same address for one year (which we did not have), joint bank account, joint rent, life insurrance with the other one added as a beneficient, pictures ... stuff like that.

So we got married. Meaning we did sign the papers and made a small "party" including our families and few very close friends who were our witnesses (best man and his wife). We did not give each other wedding rings and made the big wedding we wanted. I am currently wearing my engagement ring and we are planning the big thing for the spring.
However, we did make pictures and have our marriage certificate already translated and legalized.
In case there is a request for additional proof, we have made a joint bank account, life insurance and a whole bunch of pictures we have taken for the whole time we've been together.

basically, my situation was the same as yours. I do have enough points to get an ITA sent by myself but he doesnt.. So this was my decision and I placed my bets on him so time will show how this will go.

In many countries you can get married for few days (including the time to get the docs you need for the town hall to have it legal). you can always do this way and then make the wedding that you desire to have.

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
My application got straight away cancelled because I only submitted my marriage affidavit. I did not submit my urdu marriage certificate. Now I am going to get it translated and submit both of them. Also, I will be submitting my passport along with my spouse passport as we have each other name in the spouse section and my kids passport (name of father and mother mentioned in passport ) for a strong case. As we have our name on each of our passport. Is there anyone who have got more input on this ?