June 26 2013
File Transfer...
July 8 2013
Med's Done....
May 16 2013
Passport Req..
February 21 2014
Hi people,

My husband's coming to Canada next week. This is his first time landing in Toronto. He was thinking about sending his bigger and heavier stuff using Cargo, but then my friend was telling me immigrants who travel for the first time can bring a whole load of goods for free. I think it's known as 'container' or something... Does anybody know of such thing?

One other thing. Beside the forms he was provided by embassy when picking up his visa, is there any other form he needs to bring to the airport? I have heard he must list the items he is bringing with him!? I read the info on Landing thread here, but it was so confusing.

I really appreciate any help.

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since your husband is landing (as a PR?) he can bring either then or later (or both) his possessions without paying duty, but he has to supply lists when landing distinguishing between goods he is importing there and then and goods he will be importing later. That is usually done on a CBSA form B4E, which you can google, but my understanding is that the use of that form is not mandatory. Unless he is stinking rich it would be extravagant to import his possessions by air cargo, if that is what you mean by cargo. Normally bulky possessions would be transported by a shipping container, which broadly speaking come in 2 sizes, 20 foot and 40 foot long. You can hire them. A 40 foot container is pretty big: total load about 26 metric tonnes and 76 cubic meters. I only know that because I have been looking it up for my own purposes. A 20 foot contrainer which will probably be too small for my purposes, will carry about half that. You can also via agents share a container, which would be cheaper. I got a lot of help from Britishexpats.com's internet notes Goods to follow- Canada. Even though your husband may not be from the UK a read of that would be very useful. You will also gain some insight from reading Qorax's post on this forum entitled Form B4 goods to follow list.

Melisaa

Star Member
May 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 03 2013
AOR Received.
June 26 2013
File Transfer...
July 8 2013
Med's Done....
May 16 2013
Passport Req..
February 21 2014
wowsers said:
Since your husband is landing (as a PR?) he can bring either then or later (or both) his possessions without paying duty, but he has to supply lists when landing distinguishing between goods he is importing there and then and goods he will be importing later. That is usually done on a CBSA form B4E, which you can google, but my understanding is that the use of that form is not mandatory. Unless he is stinking rich it would be extravagant to import his possessions by air cargo, if that is what you mean by cargo. Normally bulky possessions would be transported by a shipping container, which broadly speaking come in 2 sizes, 20 foot and 40 foot long. You can hire them. A 40 foot container is pretty big: total load about 26 metric tonnes and 76 cubic meters. I only know that because I have been looking it up for my own purposes. A 20 foot contrainer which will probably be too small for my purposes, will carry about half that. You can also via agents share a container, which would be cheaper. I got a lot of help from Britishexpats.com's internet notes Goods to follow- Canada. Even though your husband may not be from the UK a read of that would be very useful. You will also gain some insight from reading Qorax's post on this forum entitled Form B4 goods to follow list.
Very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Melisaa said:
but then my friend was telling me immigrants who travel for the first time can bring a whole load of goods for free. I think it's known as 'container' or something... Does anybody know of such thing?
Just to clarify, the only thing that is "free", is that there is no import duties or customs charges on items you bring when you land as PR. You can also list on the form any other items that will be delivered later, and those will also be duty/custom free.

However the actual method you use for shipping, and all associated shipping costs, are NOT free. You need to co-ordinate and pay for all this yourself.

JGM613

Apr 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-10-2013 ... In Process 12-03-2014...Decision Made 14-03-2014 as per ECAS
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2014
LANDED..........
02-04=2014
I've been reading a little about "Landing" and wondering if a *B 4 is necessary if everything that is accompanying the new arrival is of a personal nature and is " used"?
I'm speaking of clothing and a laptop,a camera,and two mobile phones..very little jewellery.
Anybody please? Thoughts?
Seems like lots of bureaucracy for so little!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JGM613 said:
I've been reading a little about "Landing" and wondering if a *B 4 is necessary if everything that is accompanying the new arrival is of a personal nature and is " used"?
I'm speaking of clothing and a laptop,a camera,and two mobile phones..very little jewellery.
Anybody please? Thoughts?
Seems like lots of bureaucracy for so little!!
Especially for jewelries and other valuables, better to use hand carry or check-in baggage than using the services of shipping companies to bring them to Canada. B4 is not required if you are bringing accompany items.

For more details on which item can be used/new, check the cbsa website.

JGM613

Apr 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-10-2013 ... In Process 12-03-2014...Decision Made 14-03-2014 as per ECAS
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2014
LANDED..........
02-04=2014
steaky said:
Especially for jewelries and other valuables, better to use hand carry or check-in baggage than using the services of shipping companies to bring them to Canada. B4 is not required if you are bringing accompany items.

For more details on which item can be used/new, check the cbsa website.
Thanks..I didn't think its really necessary for personal items that have little value ..