+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Applying for a travel document (permanent resident abroad)

MWEdwards

Jun 16, 2015
My PR card is expiring on July 15 this year, but for medical care reasons I urgently need to travel to the U.S. from Canada, leaving Canada for northern California in mid July.

I already have a paid roundtrip air ticket leaving from and returning to Canada, and I have just applied for a new PR card with a request for urgent processing--proof of travel enclosed. But the Call Centre agents said that processing can take four to six weeks, so I might not receive the new PR card in time. He said I should consider applying for a travel document once I am in the U.S.

Having researched the requirements for this application, I still have a few questions about applying for a travel document:

1. IMM 5627, the document checklist, states (under #7) that I must provide evidence of my permanent resident status in Canada, such as the following:

• a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or, if the document was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the
circumstances of the loss,
• an expired permanent resident card or, if your card was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the circumstances of the loss,
• employment documents,
• financial documents,
• Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment forms,
• evidence of receipt of benefits from Canadian government programs,
• rental agreements,
• club memberships, etc.

My question is: How many such documents must I include? Is an expired PR card enough, or do I need several other documents, too?

2. How long does it usually take to obtain a travel document from the Los Angeles VAC via courier service? (I will not be physically present in L.A.)

3. Is it ever possible to return to Canada simply with a U.S. passport alone, or not?

If anyone can shed light on these questions, I'd be very grateful. Many thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can return to Canada on the strength of your American passport as if you were a visitor. Do not inform the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you without the PR card.

MWEdwards

Jun 16, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
You can return to Canada on the strength of your American passport as if you were a visitor. Do not inform the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you without the PR card.
Thanks for your reply, canuck_in_uk. But even if I don't tell the airline, I would have to write my Canadian home address on my declaration card and tell the immigration officer that I am a returning resident, right? Surely they will link my U.S. passport to my PR status when they scan it in their system.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MWEdwards said:
Thanks for your reply, canuck_in_uk. But even if I don't tell the airline, I would have to write my Canadian home address on my declaration card and tell the immigration officer that I am a returning resident, right? Surely they will link my U.S. passport to my PR status when they scan it in their system.
Yes, you must still present yourself to CBSA as a PR. There will be absolutely no issue with this, as a PR card is not required for entry into Canada.

MWEdwards

Jun 16, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, you must still present yourself to CBSA as a PR. There will be absolutely no issue with this, as a PR card is not required for entry into Canada.
Ah, really? Maybe I have misunderstood, then. I have been under the impression that I must present a valid PR card to enter Canada, or, if I don't have a valid PR card, I must instead present a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad). (Or, if travelling by private car over a land crossing, a Confirmation of Permanent Residence/Record of Landing.) I guess what I am wondering is: If one doesn't need a PR card for entry into Canada, what is the purpose is of the Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad), and why would the Call Centre agent say that I should obtain one?

Thanks again for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MWEdwards said:
Ah, really? Maybe I have misunderstood, then. I have been under the impression that I must present a valid PR card to enter Canada, or, if I don't have a valid PR card, I must instead present a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad). (Or, if travelling by private car over a land crossing, a Confirmation of Permanent Residence/Record of Landing.) I guess what I am wondering is: If one doesn't need a PR card for entry into Canada, what is the purpose is of the Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad), and why would the Call Centre agent say that I should obtain one?

Thanks again for your help!
The PR card/PRTD is not required by CBSA to be allowed entry into Canada.

Commercial carriers (planes, ferries, buses etc.) require a person to prove that they are allowed entry into Canada. If a carrier boards a person without the right to enter Canada, they are responsible for all costs associated with returning the person to the origin country AND may be subject to fines from the government of Canada.

For a visa-exempt person, their passport is sufficient proof.

For a non visa-exempt person, they need a TRV, PR card or PRTD.

The Call Centre is staffed by untrained idiots who know next to nothing and give form answers. Don't ever rely on them for reliable information.

Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

MWEdwards

Jun 16, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
The PR card/PRTD is not required by CBSA to be allowed entry into Canada.

Commercial carriers (planes, ferries, buses etc.) require a person to prove that they are allowed entry into Canada. If a carrier boards a person without the right to enter Canada, they are responsible for all costs associated with returning the person to the origin country AND may be subject to fines from the government of Canada.

For a visa-exempt person, their passport is sufficient proof.

For a non visa-exempt person, they need a TRV, PR card or PRTD.

The Call Centre is staffed by untrained idiots who know next to nothing and give form answers. Don't ever rely on them for reliable information.
Hi, canuck_in_uk,

If you are correct, I'll be very happy, obviously. And I hear you about the Call Centre--I've certainly received conflicting information from different agents there.

But I'm nervous, because on the government's official Citizenship and Immigration Canada website, they don't differentiate between visa-exempt and non-visa-exempt persons. They simply say that if you don't have your PR card, you must apply for a travel document if returning by commercial carrier:

"I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

We do not mail permanent resident (PR) cards to addresses outside Canada. Please choose the option below that describes your case.

If your card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you need to tell CIC.

You may also need a passport to re-enter Canada. Please see the Canadian Border Services Agency website for what documents you will need at the border.

If you plan to return in a commercial vehicle, like a plane or bus

If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle — such as a plane, train, boat or bus — you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada."

(This is the the Help Centre on their website, under "I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?")

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
If you requested urgent processing and enclosed the travel documents, more than likely you will receive the card in time. Don't always believe what CIC call centre tells you.

Did you write on the envelop "Requesting Urgent Processing"?? I think (could be wrong), you need to write that, which would indicate to them that you are requesting urgent processing and they will open the envelop

Ray

MWEdwards

Jun 16, 2015
Hi, raymasa,

Yes, I did write on the outside of the envelope "Urgent--proof of travel enclosed" (as instructed). Actually, I wrote it several times in different places on the Fedex envelope. But a review of these forums suggests that many people who apply for urgent processing hear nothing for weeks if not months, missing their travel dates. I can only hope for the best. But I also want to be fully prepared to leave Canada without a PR card--i.e., with everything I need to have in hand to apply for a travel document for my return, should that become necessary (and maybe it isn't since I am visa exempt with a U.S. passport).

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
MWEdwards said:
Hi, raymasa,

Yes, I did write on the outside of the envelope "Urgent--proof of travel enclosed" (as instructed). Actually, I wrote it several times in different places on the Fedex envelope. But a review of these forums suggests that many people who apply for urgent processing hear nothing for weeks if not months, missing their travel dates. I can only hope for the best. But I also want to be fully prepared to leave Canada without a PR card--i.e., with everything I need to have in hand to apply for a travel document for my return, should that become necessary (and maybe it isn't since I am visa exempt with a U.S. passport).
As others have mentioned, even if you don't get the card in time, your US passport would allow you to enter. I don't think there would be any issues, but if CBSA asks, you have documented proof that you submitted the renewal and requested urgent processing. I don't think you will have any issue re-entering

Ray

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MWEdwards said:
But I'm nervous, because on the government's official Citizenship and Immigration Canada website, they don't differentiate between visa-exempt and non-visa-exempt persons. They simply say that if you don't have your PR card, you must apply for a travel document if returning by commercial carrier:
Generic, as are all CIC answers. My partner and I had a trip booked just after our app was approved. I asked the CBSA officer at the landing about it and he said exactly what I told you. There are many, many people on this forum who have done this without issue.

ascouple

Jul 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
AOR Received.
02-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 04-29-2015
LANDED..........
03-05-2015
I am in a similar situation - fiancee is US citizen, landed as PR 1.5 months ago, we have a vacation booked for soon but the PR card hasn't arrived.

We also looked at the travel document route, but it wasn't going to be feasible because we are only there for 9 days. We called the CBSA yesterday and can corroborate canuck_in_uk's advice. The agent on the phone said that as long as the airline lets us on the plane, Canadian border officers at the airport will let you re-enter Canada as a PR without the card - provided you're from a visa-exempt country. They said that being from the US you should have no problems getting through.

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
Do you still need to apply for a travel document if you will be crossing border by road from the US?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hari412 said:
Do you still need to apply for a travel document if you will be crossing border by road from the US?
If you are crossing in a private car or on foot, no.

If you are crossing in a commercial carrier such as a bus, yes.

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
If you are crossing in a private car or on foot, no.

If you are crossing in a commercial carrier such as a bus, yes.
Thanks canuck_in_uk!