+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question to PMM

Coolcharm

Mar 25, 2009
Hi

Thanks for your time and help

I am Syrian living currently in the USA (student Visa). My application to Canada is in its final stages. I have some questions:

1) My visa to enter the US has expired but my I-20 is still current. This is completely OK from a US immigration point of view. I can live legally but if left the US, I have to obtain new student visa. Now the question is: if went to Canada for short landing visit and obtained PR status, can I re-enter the US with expired student visa and valid I-20 document?? In other words, would the officer waive the visa requirement given that I am Canadian PR and my I-20 is valid?

2) If the answer tothe question above is NO. Can I apply for new student visa in the US embassy in Canada or I need to go back to my country (Syria) to apply there?

3) Again if the answer for question 1 is NO. Can I still re-enter the US for short time. I mean I would not need to re-enter as a student but as a visitor. I am asking this question because by then I will have finished my course work and all I need is short visit (2-3 days) every month to meet my supervisor. Are Canadian PRs allowed to visit the US for short time?

4) Same as 2 above. If I need a visitor visa for short visits to the US, can I get one at the US embassy in Canada or even for visitor visa a PR needs to go back to his home country??

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Coolcharm said:
Hi

Thanks for your time and help

I am Syrian living currently in the USA (student Visa). My application to Canada is in its final stages. I have some questions:

1) My visa to enter the US has expired but my I-20 is still current. This is completely OK from a US immigration point of view. I can live legally but if left the US, I have to obtain new student visa. Now the question is: if went to Canada for short landing visit and obtained PR status, can I re-enter the US with expired student visa and valid I-20 document?? In other words, would the officer waive the visa requirement given that I am Canadian PR and my I-20 is valid?

2) If the answer tothe question above is NO. Can I apply for new student visa in the US embassy in Canada or I need to go back to my country (Syria) to apply there?

3) Again if the answer for question 1 is NO. Can I still re-enter the US for short time. I mean I would not need to re-enter as a student but as a visitor. I am asking this question because by then I will have finished my course work and all I need is short visit (2-3 days) every month to meet my supervisor. Are Canadian PRs allowed to visit the US for short time?

4) Same as 2 above. If I need a visitor visa for short visits to the US, can I get one at the US embassy in Canada or even for visitor visa a PR needs to go back to his home country??

Thanks
1. You would have to contact the US Consulate in Canada. I doubt very much that a recent PR is going to get a new visitor visa in Canada right after "landing" To visit the US you will need a US visitor visa.

PMM

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
1. No. You will need a valid F1 visa to reenter the US.

2. Yes you can apply from Canada. When you are a PR in Canada you are not considered a third country national when applying for a temporary visa to the US.

3. No, you need a visitor visa.

4. Same as 2.

Good luck,

V

I am not an expert.