+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Documents for PR renewal

NewAdventure

Feb 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I have a question concerning the documents to submit for PR renewal. There are a few documents that we need to provide such as:

1) 1 Primary identity document - Valid Passport
2) 2 Secondary identity documents - Record of Landing, Valid Provincial Driver's license, Valid college/university student card or Income tax assessment for the past 2 years
3) 1 Additional document of proof of residence in Canada for the past 5 years - Other income tax assessment within the past 5 years or post secondary Canadian institution transcript within the past 5 years

My question is about the third item (the 1 additional document) as listed above. I will be working overseas as a non tax resident for the next 3 years before returning to Canada to fulfill the 2 year residency obligation for PR renewal. While working overseas as a non tax resident for the next 3 years, I will not be filing taxes with Revenue Canada at all. Hence, I will not have any Canadian income tax assessment while I am away. I will only be filing taxes in Canada upon return during the 2 year stay and I will have tax assessment documents for the 2 years prior to my PR renewal (Thus, fulfilling item 2 above).

With that in mind, I would like to hear from you how I can provide the additional document (item 3) of Other Income Tax assessment within the past 5 years when I do not file any Canadian taxes in the 3 years while working outside Canada as a non tax resident.

I appreciate any advice given.

Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW, you can explore ways in the Revenue Canada website on how you can file tax returns as non resident of Canada. :D

NewAdventure

Feb 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Steaky,

Many thanks for your response. Could you elaborate further on what you have said? From what I know, by being a non tax Canadian resident when I work overseas, I will have to sever all ties in Canada prior to leaving. Hence, I cease filing Canadian income tax during my time overseas.

I will only need to file Canadian income tax while living overseas if I have revenue in Canada (which I don't).

I wonder what I could do to overcome this?