+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question : Early travel to Canada | Fall 2021 student

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hey @Naturgrl @Laguna55 @Konan1982 and @RamSatt

I think these are all great inputs. However, I am looking for references/examples to know what's presently permissible.

Technically, anytime from the date of stamp should be alright, going by the book. But some posts on internet are saying 21 days because of COVID. And the part about reasoning with the officer is tricky too. Hence there is no hardcoded protocol in place right now about this. If we can get any references, that would clear this up much better. e.g. I know someone who just landed in Canada for May intake, so safe to say a month in advance is okay.

@RamSatt: I appreciate your detailed inputs on this, however your tone sounds a little bossy and speedy there.

If you travel any earlier than that, the Visa Officer will suspect you're going there to work illegally. You cannot work, even part-time, before your program starts. It violates your study permit. Do you want to spend money and travel in Canada, sightseeing a few months ahead of your program?
=> I mentioned in the post that my brother lives there, by himself, and while I am not worried about the expenses, both of us could use some company during these isolated times.

There are COVID related lockdowns and restrictions all around. Where would you go? Additionally if you wanted to travel, you should've applied for a visitor visa instead. You are a student going there to study. So stick to that.
=> I know what I am doing, for the most part. The visa you get for study/work/travel is the same temporary resident visa, it's only the permit that differs. So friendly suggestion, please be friendlier when schooling a stranger on the internet, esp. when you don't know the full situation. Also, FYI lockdown has been moving to grey and red zone in GTA. Getting better in other parts too, and life cannot really stop, can it? Regardless, separating travel and study from your life in a country sounds so primitive to me, I can't even explain.

Don't violate the study permit rules. I'm sure the visa officer issued your study permit starting at a date close to your program start date, so how do you even plan on landing in Canada months ahead?
=>
I don't intend to violate. The study permit would be issued at the airport when I land, from what I know, starting at a date closer to the program start regardless. Great reminder though, and I'll definitely quarantine when I reach.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I appreciate all the inputs here. Cheers folks!

Actually, my question should have been more specific. I am aiming at June 15 - July 15. Not before that.
totally support you man, dont listen to these people especially Naturgulr her experience is next to nothing (she says you will work under table please kindly show me where and I will work under the table myself) so these people are clueless. If you got the visa just go within couple of months nothing is going to happen. Border service cant send you back as border service need to buy you the plane ticket then.. then will send you to quarantine so that you spend $600-700 ect thats all what it matters

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Going early will also require extra health insurance coverage at your own expense, normally it is provided from the time when the program starts.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019

When you arrive in Canada
A border services officer (BSO) will make the final decision on whether you’re eligible to enter Canada when you arrive. When the border services officer greets you, they consider

• your reason for travelling to Canada
  • your ability to comply with all the mandatory COVID-19 requirements, unless you’re exempt
  • your ability to comply with your approved DLI’s COVID-19 readiness plan
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • whether you’ve completed an immigration medical examination if required and the results are still valid
  • the timing of your arrival
    • You should give yourself enough time before school starts, to
    • If you arrive too early, you may be refused entry by the BSO.
Contact the Border Information Service before you travel if you have questions about travelling to Canada.”

from here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

this should clear things up. @Konan1982 you seem to have a propensity of doing things against the norm that can get people into trouble. so please verify your information before trying to give advice.

Reactions: wonderbly

syrianapplicant2001

Star Member
Mar 6, 2021
Hello y'all,

How soon can I travel to Canada? My classes start in Sep 2021, and I have my visa already. My brother lives there so I'm not worried about the expenses etc.

I read a few posts suggesting 21 days to 2 months before the classes start, but I want to be sure. What's the best approach?

Can you give your timeline? when did you apply?

Ak345

Mar 26, 2021
Hello y'all,

How soon can I travel to Canada? My classes start in Sep 2021, and I have my visa already. My brother lives there so I'm not worried about the expenses etc.

I read a few posts suggesting 21 days to 2 months before the classes start, but I want to be sure. What's the best approach?

Hi .. how you explained in your sop that u will come back to india... as ualready have strong ties in canada... same is the case with me as my brother is also on work permit there... please reply asap... Thanks in advance...

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
totally support you man, dont listen to these people especially Naturgulr her experience is next to nothing (she says you will work under table please kindly show me where and I will work under the table myself) so these people are clueless. If you got the visa just go within couple of months nothing is going to happen. Border service cant send you back as border service need to buy you the plane ticket then.. then will send you to quarantine so that you spend $600-700 ect thats all what it matters
Your advice is not based on any proof and you keep flip-flopping between different opinions. There has been a few experiences reported in this forum of people being prevented to board/or turned back at port of entry due to early timing. This has happened pre-COVID as well.

I'm also not sure why the personal attack on @Naturgrl - she's been very helpful on this site and she clearly has experiential knowledge.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
The rules clearly state "If you arrive too early, you may be refused entry by the BSO" so why risk it, the last thing anyone wants is to be refused entry. My induction is 16th Aug so booked flight 4th July - 6 weeks maximum.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012

A border services officer (BSO) will make the final decision on whether you’re eligible to enter Canada when you arrive. When the border services officer greets you, they consider

• your ability to comply with all the mandatory COVID-19 requirements, unless you’re exempt
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • whether you’ve completed an immigration medical examination if required and the results are still valid
Contact the Border Information Service before you travel if you have questions about travelling to Canada.”

from here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

this should clear things up. @Konan1982 you seem to have a propensity of doing things against the norm that can get people into trouble. so please verify your information before trying to give advice.

the source to get the information is the same for everyone so you guys say he is going to have trouble if he arrives early and I am saying he will not. If he travels in summer June-july he will have no problem.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Your advice is not based on any proof and you keep flip-flopping between different opinions. There has been a few experiences reported in this forum of people being prevented to board/or turned back at port of entry due to early timing. This has happened pre-COVID as well.

I'm also not sure why the personal attack on @Naturgrl - she's been very helpful on this site and she clearly has experiential knowledge.
well if you are not sure why then read the previous posts

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
topic starter
you can simply refer that you couldn't find any flights in August and you bought flight to Canada in July plus you need to do quarantine and prepare for school.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
the source to get the information is the same for everyone so you guys say he is going to have trouble if he arrives early and I am saying he will not. If he travels in summer June-july he will have no problem.
from my previous experience with you, i know that you’re stubborn as a mule.

so my suggestion to TS, you can either heed the advice of so many of us and book your flight nearer to your date of matriculation, in accordance with IRCC’s instructions, or you can listen to the mule who has no evidence to back up his claims and risk being sent back and forced to pay for your flight to Canada twice.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012

have you even read what you posted? enough time, school readiness and I agree if you arrive too early entry maybe denied. April May might be too early

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
from my previous experience with you, i know that you’re stubborn as a mule.

so my suggestion to TS, you can either heed the advice of so many of us and book your flight nearer to your date of matriculation, in accordance with IRCC’s instructions, or you can listen to the mule who has no evidence to back up his claims and risk being sent back and forced to pay for your flight to Canada twice.
listen who is mule? maybe it is you ..