+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question concerning 5-year Eligibility Period & Passports

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Hello All, Good Evening,

I am planning to apply for Canadian Citizenship and I have set myself a hard deadline of 1st Feb 2022 (at the very latest) to submit my application. To this point I had a couple of questions,

My current passport's validity started from 31/01/2017
My expired passport's start and end dates are: 08th Oct 2007 to 30th Jan 2017. Further, I do not have any entry/exit stamps of any country for 2017 on my expired passport. My expired passport has stamps and visas only till 2016.

I have colour copies of my current passport's pages, however, I wanted to know if it is necessary to also submit colour copies of my expired passport's pages?
I quote the following instructions as per the guide:
colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date. If you do not have these documents or there is missing time between the validity dates of the travel documents, provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form.
I am taking the 5 year eligibility period quite literally: If I submitted my application on the 1st of Feb 2022, then the immediate 5 years preceding would start from Jan 31st 2017, hence as per that logic, I shouldn't bother with the expired passport. However, is that really the case? Or should I just submit everything considering calendar year beginning of 2017 and onward?
Perhaps I am nitpicking too much and I'd rather just take photocopies of my expired passport as well and be done with it, but since my travel history will not have any entries based on my expired passport, I wonder whether I should be including it as part of my application? I am hesitant to provide any information that is not needed and which might irritate or confuse the official who reviews my application.

Please advise,
Thank you & have a nice day,
regards,
KP

Edit:
I also quote the following (Bold Font done by me):
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you:

• must be 18 years of age or older on the day you sign the application
  • must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
  • must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
  • may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
  • must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply)
  • must demonstrate you have knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply - this is assessed after you apply)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to your permanent resident status
  • can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds