+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Work permit extension (as closed WP) with CSQ

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Hello, all:

I know this question has been discussed here, however it is still very confusing (to many people I believe). So I would like to bring out my questions here and appreciate some help!

My situation:
I have a open post-graduation work permit which will expire in 3 months. I have my CSQ have submitted PR under QSW program (not AOR yet). I am working on a permanent position as a scientist. My employer has already applied for the employment number for me.

My questions:
For online application, we have to pass the questionnaire part :

For Which situation best describes your work situation?
There are several options however there are only two of them I think could fit my case as a CSQ (which is not really belonging to the category of provincial nominee certificate) holder: "I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder" or "none of the above". It seems I can only select the former as if I select the latter, the next question is asking for LMIA. Because having CSQ is LMIA-exempt, I can only select "no" to this question and then the system will tell me that I am not qualified to apply a work-permit. So I finally select "I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder"

And then the next question is "Do you have a Certificat de selection du Québec (CSQ) for an application for Permanent Residence under an immigration category that was submitted to an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Office or Case Processing Centre?" T
This looks good, so I select CSQ and I finally reach the application page. The system asks me to upload 7 documents: Offer of employment, CSQ, Passport, photo, Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required), Provincial Nominee Program Certificate, Letter of Support from Province or Territory.

My question is:
1, what I should do with Provincial Nominee Program Certificate and Letter of Support from Province or Territory? I only have CSQ, and I couldn't leave this two unuploaded, otherwise I could not go to the payment step.

2, For the offer of employment, both the HR and I were confused. As I started my current work from 2017, I have a employment contract signed by both me and my employer before I passed the 3-month probation period and a letter of employment indicating my current salary, full-time and permanent position and responsibility. Are these enough? Do I need a new employment offer? (which my employer find weird as I am already working here) I know my employer has to fill a form in Employer Portal, however she only gave me the employment number. In the application page, there is an optional document "IMM5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National LMIA-Exempt". This looks very much like the form my employer has to fill in Employer Portal but I don't know if she could generate a PDF form from Employer Portal.

3, What document I need for "Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required)", can I use my letter of employment, which indicates I obviously can meet the requirement?

Please let me know if any of the experienced guys here can give a answer. My HR is not familiar with these, so I would like to collect more sure information before I bother her again after many times.

Thank you so very much!

hgspsd8

Star Member
Nov 25, 2017
Hello, all:

I know this question has been discussed here, however it is still very confusing (to many people I believe). So I would like to bring out my questions here and appreciate some help!

My situation:
I have a open post-graduation work permit which will expire in 3 months. I have my CSQ have submitted PR under QSW program (not AOR yet). I am working on a permanent position as a scientist. My employer has already applied for the employment number for me.

My questions:
For online application, we have to pass the questionnaire part :

For Which situation best describes your work situation?
There are several options however there are only two of them I think could fit my case as a CSQ (which is not really belonging to the category of provincial nominee certificate) holder: "I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder" or "none of the above". It seems I can only select the former as if I select the latter, the next question is asking for LMIA. Because having CSQ is LMIA-exempt, I can only select "no" to this question and then the system will tell me that I am not qualified to apply a work-permit. So I finally select "I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder"

And then the next question is "Do you have a Certificat de selection du Québec (CSQ) for an application for Permanent Residence under an immigration category that was submitted to an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Office or Case Processing Centre?" T
This looks good, so I select CSQ and I finally reach the application page. The system asks me to upload 7 documents: Offer of employment, CSQ, Passport, photo, Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required), Provincial Nominee Program Certificate, Letter of Support from Province or Territory.

My question is:
1, what I should do with Provincial Nominee Program Certificate and Letter of Support from Province or Territory? I only have CSQ, and I couldn't leave this two unuploaded, otherwise I could not go to the payment step.

2, For the offer of employment, both the HR and I were confused. As I started my current work from 2017, I have a employment contract signed by both me and my employer before I passed the 3-month probation period and a letter of employment indicating my current salary, full-time and permanent position and responsibility. Are these enough? Do I need a new employment offer? (which my employer find weird as I am already working here) I know my employer has to fill a form in Employer Portal, however she only gave me the employment number. In the application page, there is an optional document "IMM5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National LMIA-Exempt". This looks very much like the form my employer has to fill in Employer Portal but I don't know if she could generate a PDF form from Employer Portal.

3, What document I need for "Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required)", can I use my letter of employment, which indicates I obviously can meet the requirement?

Please let me know if any of the experienced guys here can give a answer. My HR is not familiar with these, so I would like to collect more sure information before I bother her again after many times.

Thank you so very much!
Look at the content https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-quebec/after-csq.html

As a CSQ holder, you can apply for a work permit. Specific operational recommendations:

Fill in the IMM5710E form, select "Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment" for "What type of work permit are you applying for" in the "Expected Job Details in Canada" ,and fill in the the employment number for "Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMA) No. or Offer of Employment (LMIA Exempt) No.". Printing the completed form, then bring work offer and the original CSQ, and going to Canada border for apply for work permit. You need to pay 150CAD. Do not forget to bring your passport. good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjkab

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Look at the content https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-quebec/after-csq.html

As a CSQ holder, you can apply for a work permit. Specific operational recommendations:

Fill in the IMM5710E form, select "Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment" for "What type of work permit are you applying for" in the "Expected Job Details in Canada" ,and fill in the the employment number for "Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMA) No. or Offer of Employment (LMIA Exempt) No.". Printing the completed form, then bring work offer and the original CSQ, and going to Canada border for apply for work permit. You need to pay 150CAD. Do not forget to bring your passport. good luck.
Thanks! I am working on online application. which is better? Going to the boarder or online application?

hgspsd8

Star Member
Nov 25, 2017
Thanks! I am working on online application. which is better? Going to the boarder or online application?
Online applications is 32 days. If you apply on the Canadian border, you can get a work permit on the day.

Last edited:

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Online applications is 32 days. If you apply on the Canadian border, you can get a work permit on the day.
Thanks! I know that, but I was told that you probably only were issued for 12 month for extension. However I expect 16 months as they issued my post-graduation work permit till my passport expiration date which leads to only 32 months instead of 36 months. Do you have any idea that it will make difference?

egoetc

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
AOR Received.
09-06-2017
Med's Request
19-12-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2018
I didn't realize that you could go to the border and get an employer-specific (LMIA exempt) work permit right away.

However, I did exactly what you did back in October and completed the application online. I know that I had the same questions as you and I essentially uploaded documents where I wrote "Not applicable" (e.g. for the PNP) since we cannot submit the file until we upload everything, and I had no issue. I also got a 3-year LMIA exempt employer-specific work permit, not just 12 months (but that may be dependent on what your company answered when they submitted your application on their end in order for you to have gotten your job offer number in the first place).

I'll let you know specifically tomorrow (don't currently have the laptop I used to apply with my files saved) what I had uploaded for each section since I believe some of the documents, like "letter from your province", may have been a letter attached to the CSQ but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll write back here tomorrow morning, assuming you still want to apply online!

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
I didn't realize that you could go to the border and get an employer-specific (LMIA exempt) work permit right away.

However, I did exactly what you did back in October and completed the application online. I know that I had the same questions as you and I essentially uploaded documents where I wrote "Not applicable" (e.g. for the PNP) since we cannot submit the file until we upload everything, and I had no issue. I also got a 3-year LMIA exempt employer-specific work permit, not just 12 months (but that may be dependent on what your company answered when they submitted your application on their end in order for you to have gotten your job offer number in the first place).

I'll let you know specifically tomorrow (don't currently have the laptop I used to apply with my files saved) what I had uploaded for each section since I believe some of the documents, like "letter from your province", may have been a letter attached to the CSQ but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll write back here tomorrow morning, assuming you still want to apply online!
Thank you so very much for the response. I wish I could have read it earlier (send online yesterday evening). However, I would still appreciate you could double check your application. I could send a letter of explanation if I have to.

I am surprised you got a 3 year LMIA exempt work permit! (How long was your 1st work permit? do you have CSQ?). My employer didn't tell me the duration of my employment (it is a permanent job), but I assume they gave a end date when sending the LMIA-exempt offer to IRCC (this date is required). I just write 2 years instead. Not sure it's wise or not.

For the PNP, I upload CSQ instead (means I uploaded two CSQ) and the letter of CSQ for the "letter from your province". For other documents, I used my original employment contract for "offer of employment" and the letter of the company confirming I am a currently working there for supporting documents that I fulfilled the requirements of the job offer. I didn't have a LIMA-exempt offer of employment as required as an optional document. I assume this is between CIC and my company. Would like to know how you did for these?
Thanks !

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
To update, I got 13 months extentions for a closed work permit. However, it started two months earlier than the expiration date of my old open work permit. I also claimed for 4 months of open work permit that they owe me due to the expiration date of my old passport, however they didn't care.

Reactions: Mjkab

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
To update, I got 13 months extentions for a closed work permit. However, it started two months earlier than the expiration date of my old open work permit. I also claimed for 4 months of open work permit that they owe me due to the expiration date of my old passport, however they didn't care.
Hi I need help!
Which border did you go?
I am on the same situation but a bit different. I have a job offer but job offer did not mention any employment number! what I can do?

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016

Hi,
Thank you to share useful info.
I have a situation:
Have a job offer for an immediate urgent position to fill up. If my job offer does not mention employment number, could I still apply with a valid CSQ?

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Hi I need help!
Which border did you go?
I am on the same situation but a bit different. I have a job offer but job offer did not mention any employment number! what I can do?
I didn't go to the border. I used online application instead. In fact, apply by mail or go to the border may be better idea. You should ask your employer to apply for an LIMA employment number for you, if this is the case for u

A Physician Mom

Mar 25, 2018
Hi,
I’m right now in your situation, however, I couldn't find qualified job.
I have question , does general labour job ( permanent and full time ) works?
I have csq, applied for federal ( no AOR yet) !
My work permit will expire soon and I have tough time to get a job!
Please any Advice

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Hi,
I’m right now in your situation, however, I couldn't find qualified job.
I have question , does general labour job ( permanent and full time ) works?
I have csq, applied for federal ( no AOR yet) !
My work permit will expire soon and I have tough time to get a job!
Please any Advice
sorry not seeing this question. As long as your empolyer would like to fill the form and apply for lima-exempt employment number, it will be fine. Just try it, if it doesn't work, you still can apply for PR and wait in another country.

Jennso

Sep 17, 2018

Hi guys,

I'm in a similar situation I studied in Quebec and then got my CSQ through PEQ graduate, In the past I already had a PGWP in 2013 when I went to another school in Quebec but was not eligible for CSQ at that time. so I'm not able to get a PGWP right now. (I haven't filed for PR yet)

Right now I hold:

CSQ
Student Permit
Co-Op Work permit

I already have an employer willing to hire me and to register the offer in the employer portal, my questions are as follow:

1 .- Can I go to the border and process a closed work permit under LMIA exemption code A75 (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/quebec/labour-market-impact-assessment-exempt-work-permit-renewals-extensions-certain-quebec-selection-holders.html), since my primary status is student and not worker.

2.- What form should I fill is it the IMM5710E (Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker) or the IMM1295E (APPLICATION FOR WORK PERMIT MADE OUTSIDE OF CANADA) according to my lawyer is the IMM1295E that I should bring.

Thank you veru much for all the information

:)

Jenns Paetau