+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about visa to Spain with RTD

Ma2252

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
Hi there - if anyone has applied for a visa to Spain as a protected person with RTD, what did you have to attach in addition to IRB decision? Also, any tips are appreciated.

Cayman

Dec 12, 2021
information:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/toronto/en/ServiciosConsulares/Paginas/Consular/Visados-Schengen.aspx

Request appointment:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/toronto/en/ServiciosConsulares/Paginas/Cita-Schengen.aspx

Personally, I don’t recommend to apply through the spanish consulate, 6 months waiting period, and visa is not guaranteed. If you just want to visit Europe, go to Italy or Germany, those countries visa free with RTD. Or if you really need to go to Spain, maybe try to get a schengen visa from another country, maybe portugal, and then you can cross the border to spain.

Reactions: rachelm2000r

Ma2252

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
Thank you for your detailed reply. I appreciate it. Would it be a problem to cross from Portugal to Spain while only holding RTD?

information:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/toronto/en/ServiciosConsulares/Paginas/Consular/Visados-Schengen.aspx

Request appointment:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/toronto/en/ServiciosConsulares/Paginas/Cita-Schengen.aspx

Personally, I don’t recommend to apply through the spanish consulate, 6 months waiting period, and visa is not guaranteed. If you just want to visit Europe, go to Italy or Germany, those countries visa free with RTD. Or if you really need to go to Spain, maybe try to get a schengen visa from another country, maybe portugal, and then you can cross the border to spain.

Cayman

Dec 12, 2021
So the thing is, if you get a visa from any Schengen country, you can freely cross borders within the schengen area.
You can get a schengen visa from any EU country which is part of this agreement. The visa itself will be sticked inside to your Rtd. it doesnt matter if you have pr card or not. Actually its easier because when you come back to Canada, you dont need to present you pr card to cbsa officer (but you have to go through immigration every time you come back, which is usually a longer line).

I know its tough to get a schengen visa, thats why a lot of people wait until they become a citizen, or they may find other ways. Other ways means they travel to italy, and they can visit other EU countries from there. They do this because actually the land borders are open, and they wont stop you if you travel by car. But I dont recomennd, its risky, and maybe sometimes police can stop you, and you have to show ID’s or passport. And if you dont have the schengen visa, you may have to pay a fine. Dont risk it. Some people on this forum wrote they had a european road trip, without visa..

if you’re not in a hurry, definitely try to get an appointment, but it will be 6+ months.

Ma2252

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
I am so appreciative of your help here. I’m going for a conference and it is on July 1. So I might do the Schengen visa from a different country.
Thanks again
So the thing is, if you get a visa from any Schengen country, you can freely cross borders within the schengen area.
You can get a schengen visa from any EU country which is part of this agreement. The visa itself will be sticked inside to your Rtd. it doesnt matter if you have pr card or not. Actually its easier because when you come back to Canada, you dont need to present you pr card to cbsa officer (but you have to go through immigration every time you come back, which is usually a longer line).

I know its tough to get a schengen visa, thats why a lot of people wait until they become a citizen, or they may find other ways. Other ways means they travel to italy, and they can visit other EU countries from there. They do this because actually the land borders are open, and they wont stop you if you travel by car. But I dont recomennd, its risky, and maybe sometimes police can stop you, and you have to show ID’s or passport. And if you dont have the schengen visa, you may have to pay a fine. Dont risk it. Some people on this forum wrote they had a european road trip, without visa..

if you’re not in a hurry, definitely try to get an appointment, but it will be 6+ months.

Cayman

Dec 12, 2021
another thing, read carefully:

Please be advised that if you intend to travel in more than one country in the Schengen area, you must apply for a visa at the Consulate of the Schengen country where you intend to stay longest. If you intend to stay in each Schengen country for the same length of time, you must apply for the visa at the Consulate of the Schengen country to which you will travel first when entering the Schengen area.

last year, at the consulate of spain had an opportunity for an emergency appointment. Now they dont have that. But I think you should try your luck, and request a regular appointment, no consequences if you won't attend.

Reactions: Ma2252

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am so appreciative of your help here. I’m going for a conference and it is on July 1. So I might do the Schengen visa from a different country.
Thanks again
Given the number of asylum seekers trying to move around Europe there are more border checks than there used to be so it is not necessarily a border free region. There are often ID checks on trains and on land borders. You don’t wan to have a record of not being in compliance on your record so would apply for a visa for the country who is hosting your conference.

Reactions: Ma2252