+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Residency Obligation

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
I have been entering Canada using my CoPR but I am currently living in Michigan, US. I visit Canada with my wife over weekends to look at apartments to rent in Canada and also look around different neighborhoods before I finally move to Ontario. At the border, they always ask where do I currently live and my answer is Michigan, US. My question is since I have not permanently moved to Canada yet will days spent in Canada (going Saturday and coming back to Michigan on Sunday) count towards residency obligation?

What is the best way to get an official estimate of number of days spend in Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have been entering Canada using my CoPR but I am currently living in Michigan, US. I visit Canada with my wife over weekends to look at apartments to rent in Canada and also look around different neighborhoods before I finally move to Ontario. At the border, they always ask where do I currently live and my answer is Michigan, US. My question is since I have not permanently moved to Canada yet will days spent in Canada (going Saturday and coming back to Michigan on Sunday) count towards residency obligation?

What is the best way to get an official estimate of number of days spend in Canada?
Yes, any day or part-day you are physically present in Canada counts towards the residency obligation.

You will have to keep track of your own days in Canada. You may be able to get from the USA authorities, but overall best not to rely upon those.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

when did you became permanent resindent in Canada?
if you go saturday and return sunday, for canada is 2 days in Canada. if you enter on friday 11 pm, it means it counts the whole day.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

is your spouse also a PR? Is she also living in Michigan?

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
when did you became permanent resindent in Canada?
if you go saturday and return sunday, for canada is 2 days in Canada. if you enter on friday 11 pm, it means it counts the whole day.
I became PR back (soft landing) in 2020 just before COVID restriction came into affect at the US/Canada border. Although I could cross the border but meeting anyone like a real estate agent or getting any services became a huge problem through 2021. Due to personal reasons I couldn't make the move this summer. I am planning to move this month.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I became PR back (soft landing) in 2020 just before COVID restriction came into affect at the US/Canada border. Although I could cross the border but meeting anyone like a real estate agent or getting any services became a huge problem through 2021. Due to personal reasons I couldn't make the move this summer. I am planning to move this month.
The Canadian real estate market was hot through 2021, not sure why meeting a real estate agent was a huge problem.

Reactions: YVR123 and Ponga

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
bonne chance