+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about removal orders - Are you now, or have you ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)?

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
I'm currently working on my citizenship application and would be greatly appreciative for any thoughts on my situation relating to this question!

When I first came to Canada in 2014 I was on a one year visa. Near the end of my visa I applied for an extension as I had met my partner (now fiancé) and wanted to stay in Canada with her. After several months my visa extension was rejected, at which point my current visa had expired. In the rejection letter it stated the following:

Should you choose not to apply for restoration of your status, you will remain a person without legal Temporary Resident Status and as such will be required to leave Canada immediately. If you do not leave Canada voluntarily, enforcement action may be taken against you.

I left shortly after and no enforcement action was necessary!

When my partner eventually sponsored me for PR in 2017, and when I renewed my PR last year, I indicated 'yes' in response to the question about ever being asked to leave Canada and explained the situation above. It never caused me any issues.

Now that this question is coming up for the third time, I'm wondering if it's necessary (or correct) to be answering Yes to this question about removal orders? A quick Google suggested that the letter I received (response to an application for work permit) wasn't exactly a removal order. Particularly as that letter did present the option to apply for a restoration of my status in Canada.

At this stage I'd love to just answer no to this question if it's not really relevant. However, in the interest of being consistent (it is something I have declared on those two past applications) it's maybe best that I include it again?

Thanks in advance!

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I'm currently working on my citizenship application and would be greatly appreciative for any thoughts on my situation relating to this question!

When I first came to Canada in 2014 I was on a one year visa. Near the end of my visa I applied for an extension as I had met my partner (now fiancé) and wanted to stay in Canada with her. After several months my visa extension was rejected, at which point my current visa had expired. In the rejection letter it stated the following:

Should you choose not to apply for restoration of your status, you will remain a person without legal Temporary Resident Status and as such will be required to leave Canada immediately. If you do not leave Canada voluntarily, enforcement action may be taken against you.

When my partner eventually sponsored me for PR in 2017, and when I renewed my PR last year, I indicated 'yes' in response to the question about ever being asked to leave Canada and explained the situation above. It never caused me any issues.

Now that this question is coming up for the third time, I'm wondering if it's necessary (or correct) to be answering Yes to this question about removal orders? A quick Google suggested that the letter I received (response to an application for work permit) wasn't exactly a removal order. Particularly as that letter did present the option to apply for a restoration of my status in Canada.

At this stage I'd love to just answer no to this question if it's not really relevant. However, in the interest of being consistent (it is something I have declared on those two past applications) it's maybe best that I include it again?

Thanks in advance!
with a unique UCI for PR and citizenship, in the same database, I am guessing that different answers to the same historical question may not be a great idea. Best to be consistent. If the answer did not pose a problem for PR, unlikely it will be an issue again.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016

Thanks in advance!

You can answer in "No" this time.

If you are worried about any inconsistency, you can submit a note explaining that you were once rejected for your visa extension, but that you complied with the directive in the decision letter, and no removal orders were commenced against you ...

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
You can answer in "No" this time.

If you are worried about any inconsistency, you can submit a note explaining that you were once rejected for your visa extension, but that you complied with the directive in the decision letter, and no removal orders were commenced against you ...
Hi
I know its been a year with regards to this post. I got the same note. I apply for an extension of my work permit but was refused as i didnt have a LMO. And the note by the canadian official on the paper stated exactly this “you are a person in canada without temporary resident status and if you do not intend to apply for restoration you must leave canada immidiately. If you do not leave canada voluntarily, enforcement action will be taken against you. I did comply and did restored my status and got my work permit back. The last time i renew my pr card I did put NO on the question if i was ever under removal order. But this time at citizenship application it ask
“Are you now, or have ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada) how should i answer this again the last time i renew my pr card i put NO because i didnt have any removal orders on file rather a refusal of visa.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
with a unique UCI for PR and citizenship, in the same database, I am guessing that different answers to the same historical question may not be a great idea. Best to be consistent. If the answer did not pose a problem for PR, unlikely it will be an issue again.
Hi
I know its been a year with regards to this post. I got the same note. I apply for an extension of my work permit but was refused as i didnt have a LMO. And the note by the canadian official on the paper stated exactly this “you are a person in canada without temporary resident status and if you do not intend to apply for restoration you must leave canada immidiately. If you do not leave canada voluntarily, enforcement action will be taken against you. I did comply and did restored my status and got my work permit back. The last time i renew my pr card I did put NO on the question if i was ever under removal order. But this time at citizenship application it ask
“Are you now, or have ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada) how should i answer this again the last time i renew my pr card i put NO because i didnt have any removal orders on file rather a refusal of visa.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto

Thanks in advance!
So how did you resolve this issue?