+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about PR card expiry and Travel

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
Hi
My PR card is expiring this November. There is a strong chance that I will be visiting India in September/October and will be returning by October. Will I have any issues at the port of entry into Canada? Are there any minimum number of months I should be maintaining on the number of months left before PR card expiry, before I come back to Canada using my PR?

And having just cleared my citizenship test last month, I am now waiting for my oath letter for citizenship ceremony, and not really interested in renewing my PR card.

Thanks very much in advance for the inputs.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
Sorry, I just realized that this may not be the right category to post this topic, but it seems like I cannot move this thread to a different category myself (Settlement category?).

Anyways, any answers to this question is appreciated. Thanks again.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maruti81 said:
Hi
My PR card is expiring this November. There is a strong chance that I will be visiting India in September/October and will be returning by October. Will I have any issues at the port of entry into Canada? Are there any minimum number of months I should be maintaining on the number of months left before PR card expiry, before I come back to Canada using my PR?

And having just cleared my citizenship test last month, I am now waiting for my oath letter for citizenship ceremony, and not really interested in renewing my PR card.

Thanks very much in advance for the inputs.
no need to renew at this time, given your situation. do understand that on your oath day, the PR card will be taken away. so you will have to apply for passport if that happens before your travel.

do note that it is not recommended to leave country during citizenship process. it is against CIC policy.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
Thank you friend for your input.

You mentioned "do note that it is not recommended to leave country during citizenship process. it is against CIC policy.".

I did not know that! Does that mean I MUST wait till I receive my oath letter and the ceremony is over, and cannot visit India during this time? What is the procedure if I want to make an urgent visit to India during this time using my PR card?

If anyone has answers to these questions, please share or point me to official information.

Thank you very much.