+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about my potential situation PR/PNP/Divorce

ILUVCANADA1

Mar 27, 2017
I am from India, I am pursuing my PHD in Canada as an International student. My wife came to Canada with me as a dependent sponsor. My wife is currently in the process of applying for her Provincial Nominee status, which she just sent in a few months ago. My wife is currently working full time. How long is the average process with PNP after applying to get it and eventually applying for the federal status for PR status?? I hear its currently 3-4 years.

My wife and I are going through difficult times, and assuming we are unable to fix our issue and wanted to file for divorce/Seperation, I understand already we would need to inform immigration of any changes in both our process to get PR.

What would happen to my wife if she OR I decided to end our relationship while we are both in Canada? She is a sponsor/dependent with me, will she automatically be sent back to India? What are the typical outcomes of a sponsor during Divorce/Separation during a PNP status. I understand the process will end, Will she lose her work as she's full time?

What are the Typical outcomes?

Thank you so much. I am very confused about this.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
She is currently in Canada as your dependent so if your that relationship ended, she would have to go back.

She is applying for PNP in her own right. She doesn't need to be physically present in Canada to get a PNP unless her PNP depends on the job she is doing. If she has to be in Canada during the PNP, she will need the legal right to live there and that is by being with you. If she does not need to be physically present in Canada, she can go back and continue her application in her own right. In that case, you need to sort yourself out after you finish your studies.

ILUVCANADA1

Mar 27, 2017
xpressentry said:
She is currently in Canada as your dependent so if your that relationship ended, she would have to go back.

She is applying for PNP in her own right. She doesn't need to be physically present in Canada to get a PNP unless her PNP depends on the job she is doing. If she has to be in Canada during the PNP, she will need the legal right to live there and that is by being with you. If she does not need to be physically present in Canada, she can go back and continue her application in her own right. In that case, you need to sort yourself out after you finish your studies.
Thank you for the Reply.

She needs her full time work to get her PNP I believe. So she needs to be In Canada. If she wishes to continue with her PNP but we file for Divorce, will she be removed from PNP process? If may choose to live with one of her friends instead of me.

So if she needs her full time job it will stop her PNP process? as you said she will be sent back to India?

ILUVCANADA1

Mar 27, 2017
Does anyone have information to what happens to the sponsor/dependent (my wife) if we deciede to divorce? She requires to work full time for her PNP. Will her PNP process be cancelled? And she will have to leave? She is on a work permit until 2018 from my education.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ILUVCANADA1 said:
How long is the average process with PNP after applying to get it and eventually applying for the federal status for PR status?? I hear its currently 3-4 years.

What would happen to my wife if she OR I decided to end our relationship while we are both in Canada? She is a sponsor/dependent with me, will she automatically be sent back to India? What are the typical outcomes of a sponsor during Divorce/Separation during a PNP status. I understand the process will end, Will she lose her work as she's full time?
Don't know where you got 3-4 years from. Nomination time varies from province to province. The federal process takes about 6 months.

Nothing happens to her; she will not be sent back to India. Her work permit remains valid and she can continue working. She would need to remove you from her PNP application.

xpressentry said:
Incorrect. Her work permit is valid until it expires or is formally revoked by IRCC (which never happens).

ILUVCANADA1

Mar 27, 2017
I was told the entire process from start to end is approx 4 years from others for PNP and federal to get PR.

So my wifes PNP will not be cancelled even if she is required to work full time and she is getting her PNP through my education. Its like we are connected, its very confusing. I was getting mixed replies saying she will have to go back to India.

Thank you so much for the reply......im hoping someone can clarify.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ILUVCANADA1 said:
Can anyone confirm please
As I already stated, PNP doesn't take 4 years (go look at the PNP section of the forum) and her work permit remains valid.

What further information are you looking for?

ILUVCANADA1

Mar 27, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
As I already stated, PNP doesn't take 4 years (go look at the PNP section of the forum) and her work permit remains valid.

What further information are you looking for?
The information I'm looking for is more about her PNP process. I was told by others that her PNP process is instantly Voided of you file for separation during the process. She is required to work for both our PNP process to be valid I believed, that was the conditions.

My wife's work permit Is valid because of my schooling till 2019, so if we are no longer connected would her work permit be cancelled and she would need to re apply for PNP? She does not quality for PNP by her self. I was told her work permit is still valid even if her PNP is cancelled? Or would it be cancelled?

Thank you

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
ILUVCANADA1 said:
The information I'm looking for is more about her PNP process. I was told by others that her PNP process is instantly Voided of you file for separation during the process. She is required to work for both our PNP process to be valid I believed, that was the conditions.

My wife's work permit Is valid because of my schooling till 2019, so if we are no longer connected would her work permit be cancelled and she would need to re apply for PNP? She does not quality for PNP by her self. I was told her work permit is still valid even if her PNP is cancelled? Or would it be cancelled?

Thank you
Her work permit is dependent upon your marriage so if you two are separate, the work permit is void and she will need to go back home. Her PNP application is still being processed as usual but will need to inform the marital status change

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mf4361 said:
Her work permit is dependent upon your marriage so if you two are separate, the work permit is void and she will need to go back home. Her PNP application is still being processed as usual but will need to inform the marital status change
Wrong. A work permit is valid until it expires or is formally revoked by IRCC, which pretty much never happens.