+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about inland sponsorship [Urgent]

fung510513

Oct 24, 2012
My step-father, who is a Canadian citizen, is applying an inland sponsorship to sponsor my mom and me to immigrate to Canada. We have already received the first letter that says we meet the eligibility requirement to apply for permanent resident status. While I'm being sponsored to immigrate to Canada, I'm also having a 4 years study permit to stay in Canada. As an inland applicant also, may I leave Canada and go back to my home country while waiting for the second letter just like other international students? I mean just a months or two during this summer and my mom and my step-father will stay in Canada just in case to notify me to come back immediately if we receive the second letter.

The first letter requirement does not state that any applicant cannot leave the country:

Please note, your application for permanent residence could be refused if:
- you and your family members do not meet all statutory requirements of the Immigration and
Refugee Protection Act;
- you receive a letter asking for a reply within 30 days and you do not respond within that period;
- you fail to advise this office of any changes to your address. You may inform of changes by
writing to this office at the address shown at the top of this letter, by contacting the CIC Call Centre or
online at http://www.cic.gc.ca; or
- you are not self-supporting. Persons in receipt of social assistance or welfare benefits, either
directly or indirectly, are defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act as inadmissible
persons.

:-[

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although your letter does not state that you cannot leave Canada, you should be aware that it is strongly suggested that you do NOT leave Canada, as there is a chance that you will be denied re-entry. How much of a risk, depends on many factors, not the least of which is the mood of the actual Border Officer that greets you when you attempt to re-enter.

The rules for an Inland application are quite clear, in that you should remain in Canada for the duration of the process. If you leave and are denied re-entry, your PR application is thrown out!

Is it really worth the risk? Only you know the honest answer.

Here's one of many threads discussing this very topic:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t198384.0.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
Although your letter does not state that you cannot leave Canada, you should be aware that it is strongly suggested that you do NOT leave Canada, as there is a chance that you will be denied re-entry. How much of a risk, depends on many factors, not the least of which is the mood of the actual Border Officer that greets you when you attempt to re-enter.

The rules for an Inland application are quite clear, in that you should remain in Canada for the duration of the process. If you leave and are denied re-entry, your PR application is thrown out!

Is it really worth the risk? Only you know the honest answer.

Here's one of many threads discussing this very topic:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t198384.0.html
As the poster here is not the primary applicant, and is just a dependent, I don't think it matters if they were rejected entry back into Canada as they would still continue to be a dependent no matter where they were living.

With a valid student visa, the chance of being refused re-entry is very small anyways (but of course never guaranteed).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what happens if the OP is denied re-entry. How will s/he land, if s/he is unable to attend the Inland landing interview?

If s/he is not with their mother...would the mother be allowed to land alone, or would her own PR also be at risk?

Not trying to play devil's advocate, per se...just curious.

fung510513

Oct 24, 2012
Rob_TO said:
As the poster here is not the primary applicant, and is just a dependent, I don't think it matters if they were rejected entry back into Canada as they would still continue to be a dependent no matter where they were living.

With a valid student visa, the chance of being refused re-entry is very small anyways (but of course never guaranteed).
yeah, so as just a dependent, I can leave Canada and re-entry with my study permit right?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
fung510513 said:
yeah, so as just a dependent, I can leave Canada and re-entry with my study permit right?
Yes, as a dependant, you do not have to be in Canada at all during the processing of the application of the Principal Applicant. if you are not visa-exempt, you will be provided with an IM-1 visa to "land" along with your COPR.