+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about dependent children abroad?

Yuth

Aug 9, 2007
Hi All,

I applied for permanent resident through in Canada class sponsorship. I have a daughter from my previous marriage who is now living with my ex wife aboard. About a month after I submitted my application, the CIC sent a letter to my ex wife asking to complete some 10 pages form. Now my ex is furious and refused to complete the form. I am also puzzled since we have been divorced for five years (the divorce certificate was submitted along with my application) and my daughter will not immigrate here, I don’t know why CIC asked them to complete such a long form. I though my daughter just need to get the medical examination only (she is 7 years old). What should I do if my ex wife refused to complete the form?

Thank you.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Yuth

I've read several other postings where people have been in the same situation.

It seems CIC takes the view that should anything ever happen to your ex, it is possible that the child would be placed with the remaining biological parent (you in this case) so they want to be sure that steps are taken now so that it would be possible. It's also ensuring the rights of your daughter - she may be only 7 now and has no say where she lives but what if she wants to spend time with you later, say when she's 16?

It depends on your relationship with your ex, maybe she will complete the forms if you explain it to her that way (it's for the future benefit of her daughter).

I'll try to find the other postings and see what options there may be if your ex still refuses.

Hope that helps for now.