+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about customs declaration as a returning PR

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I recently went out of Canada on a work-related trip(>7 days). I'm to come back in mid-April. I went a little crazy and shopped excessive clothes for my spouse. Reading the threads on what to declare/not-declare I wanted to confirm if what I know is accurate or not:
1. If the total value of all personal use items(clothes) combined is >$800 CAD - I have to declare them.
2. Let's say if I'm bringing in ~$1,500 CAD worth of clothes(all for personal use) - I'll have to pay customs of $1500-$800=$750
3. I'll have to fill the declaration form and list all of these items that are needed to be declared - I have receipts/digital invoices to show the value of items

Is that right?

Additional questions:
1. do I need to declare my own personal items too? Items like my own clothes, computer, etc? I've declared them when I did my landing as a PR.
2. I am planning to buy personal use items like blankets that are worth ~$50-100 - do I need to declare them as well?

Thanks in advance!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I recently went out of Canada on a work-related trip(>7 days). I'm to come back in mid-April. I went a little crazy and shopped excessive clothes for my spouse. Reading the threads on what to declare/not-declare I wanted to confirm if what I know is accurate or not:
1. If the total value of all personal use items(clothes) combined is >$800 CAD - I have to declare them.
2. Let's say if I'm bringing in ~$1,500 CAD worth of clothes(all for personal use) - I'll have to pay customs of $1500-$800=$750
3. I'll have to fill the declaration form and list all of these items that are needed to be declared - I have receipts/digital invoices to show the value of items

Is that right?

Additional questions:
1. do I need to declare my own personal items too? Items like my own clothes, computer, etc? I've declared them when I did my landing as a PR.
2. I am planning to buy personal use items like blankets that are worth ~$50-100 - do I need to declare them as well?

Thanks in advance!
Declare the total values of the newly acquired items and be prepared with the receipts/digital invoices for custom.
From personal experience, they may or may not ask you to pay tax/duty of those items. And it's up to them which items they will put the duty/tax on. Just pay the amount when told. (btw you declared the total amount when it's over the exempt limit. not the subtracted amount)
You do not need to redeclare items that you've owned and already declared at landing. But I though you would have already gotten a declaration card before you leave Canada with them. (I did with my camera and laptop)

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Declare the total values of the newly acquired items and be prepared with the receipts/digital invoices for custom.
From personal experience, they may or may not ask you to pay tax/duty of those items. And it's up to them which items they will put the duty/tax on. Just pay the amount when told. (btw you declared the total amount when it's over the exempt limit. not the subtracted amount)
You do not need to redeclare items that you've owned and already declared at landing. But I though you would have already gotten a declaration card before you leave Canada with them. (I did with my camera and laptop)
thanks! I didn't get a declaration card before I left. With that being said, I fortunately am under the limit of $800 so far. I assume if I keep it that way, I should be fine?

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks! I didn't get a declaration card before I left. With that being said, I fortunately am under the limit of $800 so far. I assume if I keep it that way, I should be fine?
Generally fine. They can choose to go through your stuff and check amounts etc., but by most accounts this is not that common.