+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about applying for CCB - male or female parent

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi All,
Background: I arrived in Canada (Jan 2022) as PR before both my wife and child (born outside Canada) came to Canada (Nov 2022) as visitors. Eventually they both became PRs in Aug 2023. Both have valid/ active PR cards but my PR card has expired and I will apply for PR card renewal next month once I am back in Residency Obligation. My spouse is female caregiver but has never filed taxes in Canada and does not have my CRA account. I have my CRA account.

Question: I have called up CRA couple of times and have received slightly different answers. Question is should my wife apply for CCB and then we would be eligible to get CCB since they became PRs (Aug 2023 till date) or should I apply for CCB (with a note from wife regarding primary caregiver) and then we might be eligible for CCB since Nov/ Dec 2022 till date? We haven't moved out of the country since Nov 2022.

Thanks

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi All,
Background: I arrived in Canada (Jan 2022) as PR before both my wife and child (born outside Canada) came to Canada (Nov 2022) as visitors. Eventually they both became PRs in Aug 2023. Both have valid/ active PR cards but my PR card has expired and I will apply for PR card renewal next month once I am back in Residency Obligation. My spouse is female caregiver but has never filed taxes in Canada and does not have my CRA account. I have my CRA account.

Question: I have called up CRA couple of times and have received slightly different answers. Question is should my wife apply for CCB and then we would be eligible to get CCB since they became PRs (Aug 2023 till date) or should I apply for CCB (with a note from wife regarding primary caregiver) and then we might be eligible for CCB since Nov/ Dec 2022 till date? We haven't moved out of the country since Nov 2022.

Thanks
Appreciate any inputs.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
Female parent can apply by mail. CRA assumes by default that the female parent is responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. Not an issue if she is a newcomer and has not yet filed taxes... assuming of course that she was not required to file.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Female parent can apply by mail. CRA assumes by default that the female parent is responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. Not an issue if she is a newcomer and has not yet filed taxes... assuming of course that she was not required to file.
In our situation, will mother get CCB from Nov/ Dec 2022 when they arrived in Canada or only from Aug 2023 when they both became PRs

Thanks