Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Hi folks
According to new rules
Before

No requirement to file Canadian income taxes to be eligible for a grant of citizenship
After

Requires adult applicants to file Canadian income taxes, if required under the Income Tax Act, to be eligible for citizenship (in effect June 11, 2015)

My question is that my wife is not working but she files her tax yearly. Will she be eligible for citizenship or not?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
canada1234 said:
Hi folks
According to new rules
Before

No requirement to file Canadian income taxes to be eligible for a grant of citizenship
After

Requires adult applicants to file Canadian income taxes, if required under the Income Tax Act, to be eligible for citizenship (in effect June 11, 2015)

My question is that my wife is not working but she is files taxes every year. Does she eligible for citizenship?
As long as she has complied with her tax obligations, she is not ineligible.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
As long as she has complied with her tax obligations, she is not ineligible.
She need not work to be eligible. You have to file zero tax returns on her behalf. You can back file zero returns or if you owe taxes then you can back file for any number of years.

Jun 18, 2015
canada1234 said:
Hi folks
According to new rules
Before

After

My question is that my wife is not working but she files her tax yearly. Will she be eligible for citizenship or not?
Well in the new rules you just have to like stay 6 months before applying citizenship but according to charter of rights you should be fine afterwards with free mobility rights