+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding PR Card renewal (Got PRTD on H&C grounds)

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
So a year ago you were planning to travel in two weeks - what happened?

Your odds are only getting worse. Assuming your PR card has now expired, you would probably have better chances at a land border crossing than with the prtd process, but only a guess.
I'm still actively hunting for jobs in Canada. Without job it's very difficult to sustain oneself in this economy. I also had to spend considerable money on medical procedures so I don't have much savings really. My current job in USA dosen't pay all that much to be able to save considerable money and I'm also on a visa so it's hard to find better jobs too. My plan is to move to Canada with a job offer in hand. Will it help my case at the land border to have a job offer in hand vs no job?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm still actively hunting for jobs in Canada. Without job it's very difficult to sustain oneself in this economy. I also had to spend considerable money on medical procedures so I don't have much savings really. My current job in USA dosen't pay all that much to be able to save considerable money and I'm also on a visa so it's hard to find better jobs too. My plan is to move to Canada with a job offer in hand. Will it help my case at the land border to have a job offer in hand vs no job?
Honestly I do not know. I would say that showing up substantially later to Canada because you have been looking for a job is a poor trade-off from an immigration perspective. Or put more simply: if you're justifying delaying return to Canada on basis that having a job will help you at the border - probably wrong. Being more out of compliance is a bigger factor, having a job a minor one. Probably - one can only guess.

Of course, only you can decide - from a monetary perspective may not be realistic. I'm not lecturing.

Now if it were truly a question of eg one month longer abroad to secure a job - sure, that might be a worthwhile trade-off.

BUT: it's one year later than a year ago. Doesn't seem you're getting much from delaying, at least from the immigration perspective.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Manish,

Can I DM you? I want to make a similar request in future for HC PRTD. I couldn't move earlier due to Covid, and also had to undergo a dental surgery which I couln't have afforded in Canada. I can enter Canada through land border from USA.
How many days have you spent in Canada since you landed in 2018? Covid and dental surgery will only account for a portion of the 5 years. You may have been able to use Covid as a reason not to move until after 2021 but after that it gets much more difficult.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Manish,

Can I DM you? I want to make a similar request in future for HC PRTD. I couldn't move earlier due to Covid, and also had to undergo a dental surgery which I couln't have afforded in Canada. I can enter Canada through land border from USA.
You can enter Canada at a land PoE without a valid PR card, but if CBSA discovers that you are not in compliance (Residency Obligation) the officer could write a 44(1) report, which could lead to your PR status being in serious jeopardy. You would still be allowed to enter Canada to appeal.

Jesse123

Jul 3, 2023
Hi Manish,

Hello, May I know what kind of dental surgery you want? I had dental surgery to remove my teeth. It was during COVID-19. I did it from a dental centre as per my friend's recommendation. The cost of surgery was affordable at the dental centre at that time. You can find the best and most affordable dental centre in Canada.

Dec 19, 2022
Hi I m in also same situation as I'm in India since 6 years my pr card got expired in 2022 due to persona situation. m trying to get b2 visa..already rejected one time..secind interview is in aug

can anyone please advice how to proceed further

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I m in also same situation as I'm in India since 6 years my pr card got expired in 2022 due to persona situation. m trying to get b2 visa..already rejected one time..secind interview is in aug

can anyone please advice how to proceed further
Whether you get a US visa will have a major impact on your choices. Even if you get a US visa and can enter the US there are no guarantees you won’t get reported at the Canadian border. If you aren’t reported you will struggle to get a health card in most provinces until you have a valid PR card. That may take 2-3 years so would suggest taking out private insurance. Hopefully you have a SIN# but it may have been put on hold. If you don’t get reported you will have to try to avoid a contact with IRCC for 2 years and then apply for a PR card. If your US visa gets denied again your only choice is to apply for PRTad based on H&C and provide your evidence for why you haven’t met your RO.

ibrahimabulabannnn

Nov 6, 2023
Hi

I got my Permanent Residency Travel Document (PRTD) on the basis of humanitarian and compassionate grounds, RC-1 category. Using my PRTD I travelled back to Canada and applied for my PR Card renewal 2.5 months back because as per my understanding people who get PRTD on the basis of H&C grounds could apply for PR Card immediately upon arrival in Canada without waiting for the completion of 730 days in the last 5 years.

I applied for my PR Card renewal using the UPS Courier and got confirmation from the courier company that my application has been received by IRCC, my application was delivered to IRCC during the time of strike and now since 2.5 months I have not heard back anything from IRCC. Also, the processing of my application has not been started yet.

My question: Is it a good idea to send an online application as well? I do not want to be in a situation where I keep on waiting for my PR Card and later on get the information that my paper application was never received by IRCC.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Manish Khanna
did you get your pr? if you did, how long did it take?

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014
did you get your pr? if you did, how long did it take?
Yes I got it, it took me approximately 135 days. Basically the processing times for PR Card gets updated weekly on the IRCC website, you could send them a webform if the processing time for you has exceeded the timeline displayed on the IRCC website.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I got it, it took me approximately 135 days. Basically the processing times for PR Card gets updated weekly on the IRCC website, you could send them a webform if the processing time for you has exceeded the timeline displayed on the IRCC website.
Unless you have far exceeded posted estimated average processing time (like 6+ months) nothing will happen if you contact IRCC. You will just be told to be patient.