+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries before arriving at Canada

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
Hello Sir,

I am Mohammad Mahir Uddin Samavi from Bangladesh. I want to complete my post secondary studies in Canada and my main target is to settle down there. As far I researched, after completion of my post secondary program(2 years), I will be eligible to work for 3 years to gain Canadian work experinece under the post graduate work permit. I want to get admitted to a community college and my desirable program is Information Technology. I want to do two years diploma course under an affordable and well known community college. But I have some queries that is not clear yet and here are the following:

1. Which province is cheaper to live in: winnipeg(manitoba), calgary(alberta) or windsor(ontario)?

2. In which city the processing of PR is fastest after completion of 2 years diploma and 1 year full time work under the PGWP: winnipeg, calgary and windsor?

3. Which city provides the highest minimum wage for an international student: winnipeg, calgary and windosr?

4. Which city is coldest: winnipeg, calgary or windsor?

5. In which city availability of part time job is more for international students: winnipeg, calgary and windsor?

6. Which city deduct the maximum tax from part time work for international students: winnipeg, calgary or windsor?

7. Which province/city has best colleges with the last semister providing with paid internship and job placements opportunities: Manitoba, Alberta or Ontario?

All questions are based on 2018's changes of situations.

I would request you to provide me with all the informations above. Thank you all in advance.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Hello Sir,

I am Mohammad Mahir Uddin Samavi from Bangladesh. I want to complete my post secondary studies in Canada and my main target is to settle down there. As far I researched, after completion of my post secondary program(2 years), I will be eligible to work for 3 years to gain Canadian work experinece under the post graduate work permit. I want to get admitted to a community college and my desirable program is Information Technology. I want to do two years diploma course under an affordable and well known community college. But I have some queries that is not clear yet and here are the following:

1. Which province is cheaper to live in: winnipeg(manitoba), calgary(alberta) or windsor(ontario)?

2. In which city the processing of PR is fastest after completion of 2 years diploma and 1 year full time work under the PGWP: winnipeg, calgary and windsor?

3. Which city provides the highest minimum wage for an international student: winnipeg, calgary and windosr?

4. Which city is coldest: winnipeg, calgary or windsor?

5. In which city availability of part time job is more for international students: winnipeg, calgary and windsor?

6. Which city deduct the maximum tax from part time work for international students: winnipeg, calgary or windsor?

7. Which province/city has best colleges with the last semister providing with paid internship and job placements opportunities: Manitoba, Alberta or Ontario?

All questions are based on 2018's changes of situations.

I would request you to provide me with all the informations above. Thank you all in advance.
1- When it comes to provinces Alberta-Manitoba-Ontario would be the order. In Alberta taxes are way lower, and Manitoba has low taxes as well. However, Calgary is perhaps a little expensive city to live in. Idk about Winnipeg, Windsor is pretty cheap since it's a student city.

2- Manitoba and Alberta are good for getting PR faster. I found out that living in Ontario is more rewarding though.

3-Alberta

4- Calgary is REALLY cold. And Winnipeg is called winterpeg for a reason. Meanwhile, Windsor has a very good climate (for Canada). I have a friend living in Calgary who says that winter is cold but people don't go out much anyways.

5- Calgary and Winnipeg. The Windsor region has a higher unemployment rate.

6- I don't know, sorry

7- Ontario-Alberta-Manitoba in that order. Ontario has most of the Canadian industry, so getting internships is pretty easy. Alberta is pretty good as well, and Manitoba doesn't have as many but I guess it's not impossible, besides they need workers.

You can study anywhere in Canada, once you have a pgwp you can switch provinces. PR is easier to get in Manitoba (even a waiter can get PR under pnp). In Alberta it's easy too. And Ontario has a lot of opportunities as well, but PNP has more requirements.

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
1- When it comes to provinces Alberta-Manitoba-Ontario would be the order. In Alberta taxes are way lower, and Manitoba has low taxes as well. However, Calgary is perhaps a little expensive city to live in. Idk about Winnipeg, Windsor is pretty cheap since it's a student city.

2- Manitoba and Alberta are good for getting PR faster. I found out that living in Ontario is more rewarding though.

3-Alberta

4- Calgary is REALLY cold. And Winnipeg is called winterpeg for a reason. Meanwhile, Windsor has a very good climate (for Canada). I have a friend living in Calgary who says that winter is cold but people don't go out much anyways.

5- Calgary and Winnipeg. The Windsor region has a higher unemployment rate.

6- I don't know, sorry

7- Ontario-Alberta-Manitoba in that order. Ontario has most of the Canadian industry, so getting internships is pretty easy. Alberta is pretty good as well, and Manitoba doesn't have as many but I guess it's not impossible, besides they need workers.

You can study anywhere in Canada, once you have a pgwp you can switch provinces. PR is easier to get in Manitoba (even a waiter can get PR under pnp). In Alberta it's easy too. And Ontario has a lot of opportunities as well, but PNP has more requirements.
Will you please explain the 5th point? As a student from Asia, part time job is an important requirement for me. Windsor was my preferrable choice from the very beginning but as you said the unemployment rate is higher, I am worried now. Could you please tell ne reason behind this unemployment rate?

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Will you please explain the 5th point? As a student from Asia, part time job is an important requirement for me. Windsor was my preferrable choice from the very beginning but as you said the unemployment rate is higher, I am worried now. Could you please tell ne reason behind this unemployment rate?
I don't know for sure, but a huge proportion of this unemployment rate comes from blue-collar workers who used to work in the factories in Windsor-Detroit and lost their jobs. It's not like there's a lot of employment opportunities for students besides retail, etc.

If what you REALLY want is a part-time job that allows you to save money, go to Calgary or Winnipeg. Don't worry about PR yet. If you'd rather have a warmer climate, go to Windsor. I'm sure you'll find a part-time job if you look for it. Oh, and you should check the minimum wage in every province before making a decision.

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
Actually I already checked it. The minimum wages are:
Alberta=13.65CAD/hour
Manitoba, Winnipeg= 11CAD/hour
Ontario(Windsor)= 11:60CAD/hour.
Besides the pay rate, the lowest tax deduction is in Windsor and the max is in Winnipeg. And, since Alberta is expensive, I was confused between Windsor and Winnipeg. Actually, I know the unemployment is higher but as you said, if I search for part-time jobs, I could find it, right?