+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Provincial Nominee- Can I live in another Province after landing

dinkba

Apr 2, 2010
All,

I am a Quebec Provincial Nominee who obtained a Federal Skilled worker visa. I went to Quebec in December 2008 to complete my landing process and returned to the US. We got all the documents, except the Health insurance card.

Since I am provincial nominee of Quebec:
- Am I required to go and live in Quebec before I can move to another province? If so, for how long?
- or can I go to establish myself in another province

I would like to live in Ontario instead of Quebec, that is why I am asking.

Thank you for your help

Dd

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Once you are a PR, you can move anywhere in Canada.

Stngr

Dec 12, 2010
saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2015
Nomination.....
March 23rd 2016
AOR Received.
April 13th 2016
Passport Req..
July 16th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR at August 5th 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 1st 2016
I've heard something about beeing deported as soon as you re-enter Canada if you wont live in Quebec
how true is that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not true. A PR has the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. There are immigration programs that make you sign a statement saying that you intend to live in that province and if it was clear that you had lied about that as in landed in that province and left the next day, they could possibly accuse you of misrepresentation if they wanted to but they haven't been doing that.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
It's not true. A PR has the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. There are immigration programs that make you sign a statement saying that you intend to live in that province and if it was clear that you had lied about that as in landed in that province and left the next day, they could possibly accuse you of misrepresentation if they wanted to but they haven't been doing that.
It would appear that CIC is starting to take action.

1. Op 256 For Quebec Entrepreneurs http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob256.asp
2. Op 251 Examination for PNP http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob251.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's news all right but I can't say I am surprised. There are so many people who have used a PNP to get to Canada when they never intended to live in that province. However, seems that they are restricting this to QC entrepreneurs who sign a more binding contract for requirements and for other PNP applicants, it seems that it's basically those who land in another province and are naive enough to admit that they don't intend / never intended to live in the province that nominated them.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
That's news all right but I can't say I am surprised. There are so many people who have used a PNP to get to Canada when they never intended to live in that province. However, seems that they are restricting this to QC entrepreneurs who sign a more binding contract for requirements and for other PNP applicants, it seems that it's basically those who land in another province and are naive enough to admit that they don't intend / never intended to live in the province that nominated them.
I wouldn't be surprised to start see CBSA start reporting those PNP applicants who claim there are destined to x province and don't settle there, being reported for misrepresentation.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

I wouldn't be surprised to start see CBSA start reporting those PNP applicants who claim there are destined to x province and don't settle there, being reported for misrepresentation.
Me either.

http://www.smeurrens.com/2010/11/pnp-participants-denied-entry-at-the-border/

Stngr

Dec 12, 2010
saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2015
Nomination.....
March 23rd 2016
AOR Received.
April 13th 2016
Passport Req..
July 16th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR at August 5th 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 1st 2016
OK, so when can you consider yourself free to move to other province? after you get PR card, or citizenship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Currently they are only looking at people who are landing with no intentions of living in their PNP province. Currently they are not going after people who land in their PNP province and leave after 1 day or a week or after they get their PR card. Of course they might start going after those people too in the future. If you really want to leave, at least make it look like you spent some time looking for a job in your PNP province. I don't think it would be a big deal if you had stayed for a couple of months and could honestly say that you could not find one and had to leave to get better opportunities elsewhere. The longer you stay, the less likely that they will go after you for leaving. If you stay until you have your citizenship, you would be 100% safe.

Stngr

Dec 12, 2010
saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2015
Nomination.....
March 23rd 2016
AOR Received.
April 13th 2016
Passport Req..
July 16th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR at August 5th 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 1st 2016
Thx Leon. that is what I'm planning to do - If certain province (Quebec) will belive in me I'll do my best to stay there, but if I wont make it after few months I'm gonna move somewhere else.

Hoback

Apr 27, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
U024
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-08-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent upfront
Nomination.....
5-09-2015
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with file
Med's Request
Sent upfront
Med's Done....
Sent upfront
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
In Canada since 22-08-2013
I have recently been offered a career opportunity in Toronto, ON. Am I able to leave the province of Québec (landed QSW immigrant) without any adverse consequences regarding future citizenship application? I've been trying to find any definite information pertaining to a legal obligation to stay in Québec but every time I came empty handed.