abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed with my PR in Quebec in February 2011 and have lived here since then. My husband has been in Quebec for the last 2 years already and working for his own small business. In January 2012 we are expecting a baby. ;D

I will pay taxes to Quebec for the first time for 2011 (to be filed in April 2012). I have a job in the US that I work for remotely. They offer me 8 weeks of paid maternity leave. I am trying to figure out if I can receive QPIP benefits after those 8 weeks to stay home with my baby.

I've called QPIP twice and they tell me that they can't give me any information about my eligibility until I file for benefits, which I'm not eligible to do until October. Obviously, I want to know before then whether I will need to arrange for childcare, etc. We need to get our finances sorted out well before then and make sure that we are prepared for our new family member.

Does anyone know about my eligibility? I'm concerned about both my status as a recent immigrant and my status as an out-of-province worker residing in Quebec.

Any advice would be very appreciated!!