+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Quebec] - Lost Job after sponsoring my parents

zen111

Mar 31, 2014
Hi All,

I live in Quebec and I sponsored my parents in 2017. They became permanent residents in 2019 and they will be eligible to apply for Citizenship in April 2021

Unfortunately, i lost my job this month. I have some questions and hope that if you can share your thoughts or your experiences if you are in a similar situation

1. Does this affect on my parents as mentioned on the Quebec website ? If yes, what will happen to my parents ?

"If you are sponsoring your father, mother, grandfather or grandmother, a dependent child who has a child, or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must demonstrate your financial capacity, i.e., that you dispose of sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking (see financial standards)."

2. My plan is to take the Employment Insurance and going back to school in 2022 ? I don't know if my parents PR will be provoked. My parents and I are not planning to take any welfare or financial support from Quebec as My parents are working and i have enough funds to go to school next year.

Thanks a lot for your help

Z.