+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec applicant under FSW-PhD Stream - intention to reside outside of Quebec

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Many Quebec applicants under FSW-PhD class sent me messages on preparing the proof(s) of intention to live outside of Quebec. If you are in the same boat, please continue to read.

My name is Tandy, a Quebec applicant under FSW-PhD class​. After searching many webpages and the forum for over two weeks, I found that a solid proof is hard to get, especially for international students. So far (by June 30, 2014), 2 PhD students from McGill U., 1 student from Concordia U., and 1 student from U. of Montreal were known rejected, since their proofs did not satisfy the immigration officer. We must be very careful with the proofs we provide. An immigration officer may use them to against you.

According to my knowledge and personal experience, following proofs are considered solid:

(1). Family tie: Wife is working outside of Quebec, and/or Children are studying outside of Quebec;
(2). A job/postdoc offer from a company/university outside of Quebec;
(3). Real estate outside of Quebec;
(4*). A lease contract indicates that you are currently living outside of Quebec / tax slips from a province other than Quebec;
(5*). Other properties: e.g., a car registered outside of Quebec.

* 4 and 5 are not proven working on their own, use them as supporting proofs.

What were included in my explanatory letter that convinced the immigration officer? Explanations backed up with proofs.

(1). I will be leaving for a postdoc position after graduation.
PROOF: A conditional postdoc job offer from a university in Ontario.
(2). I come to Montreal for study only.
PROOF: Printouts of my 5 job invitations from my LinkedIn for the past 10 months, showing that I have the skills for a job in Canada, but I am concentrating on my study. I highlighted two of them (one from Quebec and from Ontario) with correspondences. Within the reply for the Quebec job back in Sept. 2013, I explicitly stated that I am currently focusing on my study and will move to Ontario after graduation.
(3). I am planning my future living in Ontario.
PROOF: The documents to my PEO (Professional Engineers of Ontario) application have been saved on Google Drive. Timestamps of the files are in 2013. They are based on Google Sever Time. Nobody can fabricate it.

I got RPRF and Medical requests 3 days later after i sent my letter to CPC-Ottawa.

Here is the sample letter I created for your reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vhmICLKE4HQ1k5ZzVXTVVrTkE/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck to all Quebec applicants.

P.P.S.: Many thanks to the previous Quebec applicants who shared their experiences.

Tandy

moshiurmmr

Jul 20, 2014
Hello Tandysony,

Thanks for your post, it's the most comprehensive post on the 'Intention to live outside Quebec' issue I've come across so far, great work!

I've received a letter from CIC 10 days ago asking me to show proof of my intention to live outside Quebec. Being an international student, it's very difficult for me to come up with any solid proof. I'm planning to mention the following in my reply to the CIC:

1. My lack of French skill is a hindrance in getting a job in QC. As a proof, I want to show the email exchanges with a company in QC that initially selected me for a job but finally it didn't go forward after learning that I don't have any French skill and they mentioned it in the final email. But there's one problem, the time of these email exchanges are close to my immigration application submission time, so I'm bit confused about submitting it.
2. As I'm supposed to finish my phd by December of this year, I'm in the process of having an apartment lease in Toronto because I want to move to Toronto to search job after submitting my thesis. I would send the copy of the lease document to the CIC.
3. I want to also send the copies/email exchanges of my job applications to different companies in Ontario and my job applicant profiles in different companies that show that I'm looking for job in Ontario.
4. Do you think a letter from my supervisor that states his knowledge of my intention to leave QC after graduation will be helpful?

I don't have much time to reply to the CIC. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you once again !

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Hi moshiurmmr, I am not sure if what you have included could satisfied CIC or not. But I will provide my thoughts:

1. Providing the email exchanges for the jobs in Quebec is somewhat RISKY. They prove your French level in certain degree, HOWEVER, they also show your intention, at least your previous intention, to reside in Quebec. You have been looking for jobs in Quebec, right? Immigration Officer may use them to against you. For the time stamps of those emails, they should be OK as long as they are b4 you received the request. I would suggest to provide only the email exchanges of jobs outside of Quebec.

2. Lease documents should be great as proofs.

3. Answered in 1.

4. It will help only if your supervisor clearly states in the letter that, you have been talking to him many times for years. If you are providing this letter, DONOT provide any email for Quebec jobs mention in 1. Otherwise, they are conflicting with each other (intention to leave Quebec & job hunting in Quebec??), raising suspiciousness.

May my thoughts help you a bit. Please keep in mind, the immigration officer makes the final decision. You need to verify your proofs in his/her shoes.

Good luck,

moshiurmmr said:
Hello Tandysony,

Thanks for your post, it's the most comprehensive post on the 'Intention to live outside Quebec' issue I've come across so far, great work!

I've received a letter from CIC 10 days ago asking me to show proof of my intention to live outside Quebec. Being an international student, it's very difficult for me to come up with any solid proof. I'm planning to mention the following in my reply to the CIC:

1. My lack of French skill is a hindrance in getting a job in QC. As a proof, I want to show the email exchanges with a company in QC that initially selected me for a job but finally it didn't go forward after learning that I don't have any French skill and they mentioned it in the final email. But there's one problem, the time of these email exchanges are close to my immigration application submission time, so I'm bit confused about submitting it.
2. As I'm supposed to finish my phd by December of this year, I'm in the process of having an apartment lease in Toronto because I want to move to Toronto to search job after submitting my thesis. I would send the copy of the lease document to the CIC.
3. I want to also send the copies/email exchanges of my job applications to different companies in Ontario and my job applicant profiles in different companies that show that I'm looking for job in Ontario.
4. Do you think a letter from my supervisor that states his knowledge of my intention to leave QC after graduation will be helpful?

I don't have much time to reply to the CIC. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you once again !

moshiurmmr

Jul 20, 2014
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, it's very helpful. I'll finalize my answer by a week or so. Lets see what they say!

George15

Jul 15, 2014
Great post Tandysony, the best post so far about international students applying from Quebec.

I am international student at McGill University and I have managed to get a post doc offer but it is conditional that I successfully finish my Phd and the salary would arranged according to the available funds. I am going to apply for immigration in the coming days,

1) Do you think I should enclose the letter in my application from the beginning or wait till they ask for it?
2) The offer letter, should be the original or a scanned copy would do?

Thank you very much,

prodigy_us

Sep 4, 2014
Hi All,

I have question, I am a 3rd year PhD student in Quebec and I have total scholarship of worth CAD 30k per year.
I am applying under the PHD Category. DO I need to provide the evidence of settlement funds?

I read people who are already in Canada don't need to show the Settlement funds?

I appreciate your reply.

Ati694

Dec 17, 2014
Hello All,
I recently got the same message from CIC
As per Regulation 75(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, the Federal Skilled Worker Class is prescribed as a class of persons who may become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to economically establish themselves and who intend to reside in a province other than the Province of Quebec. Although you indicated on your application form that you intend to reside in Edmonton, Alberta, you currently live in Montreal, Quebec. I am concerned that you do not intend to live in a province other than the Province of Quebec.
Because my husband lives in Edmonton they accept which I gonna leave Quebec however after a while and inviting me for doing medical test and paying RPRF the send me another email including
As you have noticed, we have sent you a request to undergo our medical examination as well as the request to pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF). However, please be informed that finalization of your application will be postponed until you move outside the province of Quebec. Once you change your place of residence, please provide us with a proof of your new address.
While I have still 8months to finish my phd and I have to be in Quebec.
Does anybody have any suggestion or face with this conditions?
I really appreciate your help.

Rahul221921

Jul 25, 2014
Hi All,

It is very sad that my PR application also got refused due to the quebec issue .Given are the issues and I also need immediate help from all.

Reason1 -- My wife is doing Phd in quebec ( 2nd year of phd).
Reason2 -- My job is in quebec

Though in our application we have provided them the detailed intentions i.e.

Intention 1 -- My blood relations are in Toronto
Intention 2 -- Due to study only we are here, otherwise we would have moved out.

Keeping considerations of all the reasons and intentions , cic has refused my application stated that our intentions has not satisfied them so they are refusing our PR.

Now can someone suggest me
1. what is the next positive step should I take ?
2. Should I go for a Judicial review?
3. If yes( pt.2) what steps should i start with?

Kindly your due attention will really help me and I will be really obliged to you.