+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qorax: Citizenship Related Query

Mancilla

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2012
Hello Qorax, One of my close is having an interesting query, please could you help him out.

We have been in Canada for the qualifying time and have applied for citizenship. We expect to be called for the test anytime now. However, our son has gone travelling in Europe and is in the UK at the moment. If we are called for the test and ceremony, does anyone know if our son can do the citizenship test whilst he is in the UK or if he needs to return to Canada to do it?

Also, if he stays outside of Canada for more than 6 months and effectively resides in the UK whilst waiting for his Canadian citizenship would that be a problem and possibly affect his citizenship application?

It would be far easier if he could do the test and attend the ceremony at an Embassy in the UK rather than returning but i dont know if this is possible?
Anyone know the best course of action or advice, much appreciated.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Mancilla said:
Hello Qorax, One of my close is having an interesting query, please could you help him out.

We have been in Canada for the qualifying time and have applied for citizenship. We expect to be called for the test anytime now. However, our son has gone travelling in Europe and is in the UK at the moment. If we are called for the test and ceremony, does anyone know if our son can do the citizenship test whilst he is in the UK or if he needs to return to Canada to do it?

Also, if he stays outside of Canada for more than 6 months and effectively resides in the UK whilst waiting for his Canadian citizenship would that be a problem and possibly affect his citizenship application?

It would be far easier if he could do the test and attend the ceremony at an Embassy in the UK rather than returning but i dont know if this is possible?
Anyone know the best course of action or advice, much appreciated.
The Citizenship Test / Process

Landed Immigrants [PRs] between the ages of 18 and 54 may peruse their Citizenship process, for which must have adequate knowledge of English or French AND also be aware / learn about voting procedures, Canada's history, symbols, democratic institutions, geography, and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.

The Citizenship process consists of three parts:
1. The Application: U apply for it as u become eligible, which is a 3yr's stay in the imdt previous 4yrs, to CPC-Sydney, NS.
2. The Citizenship Test: U have a wait time [usually 12-18 months], then u receive a notice to attend it at a Citizenship Office.
3. The Citizenship Oath: There's again a wait time [usually 3-6 months], then u get a notice to attend the Citizenship Ceremony.

Where are Test & Ceremonies held?
The Test is usually held at a CIC office, while the Ceremonies may be held at an appropriate location in the community or at the local Citizenship and Immigration office. Selecting the location of a citizenship ceremony is a key element of the success of the event. Consultation with citizenship staff is necessary prior to confirming the location of the ceremony. The Presiding Officer of a swearing-in ceremony may be a Citizenship Judge, or a member of the Order of Canada, as well as certain recipients of the Order of Military Merit and the Royal Victorian Order

Are these locations in-Canada or it could be abroad?
The location of the citizenship Test & Oath, predominantly, will be in Canada unless the Govt decides to hold specific special events in Canadian missions abroad. But that's rarely resorted to and the applicant's, usually, have no say on the matter.

What if I cannot attend the citizenship test I am scheduled for?
Notify the citizenship office immediately and another citizenship test will be scheduled as soon as possible. If you do not appear for the test and do not notify the citizenship office, you will be scheduled for an interview with a citizenship judge.

You will receive two notices to appear for an interview:
-The 1st notice will be sent to you by regular mail advising of the date and time for an interview.
-If you do not appear for the interview on the time and date, a 2nd and Final Notice will be sent to you by registered mail.
-This 2nd notice will give you a new time and date for an interview to occur at least 7 days later.
-If you do not appear at this 2nd interview, your application will be considered Abandoned and your file will be Closed.
-You will then have to fill out another application form and pay the fee to go through the entire process Once More.

How long will it be before I am notified to write the citizenship test?
You can check the status of your application online. You can also check the status of your application by contacting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre. You should begin to study for the citizenship test when you receive the study guide Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship You will get this guide in the mail once your application is accepted for processing. You will receive a letter telling you when and where to go for a test. If you move to a new address, you must inform us. You can update your address online, or you can contact the Call Centre.

What if I am unable to attend the ceremony?
Contact the citizenship office immediately. You will be rescheduled for another ceremony as soon as possible. If you do not come to the ceremony and do not contact the citizenship office within 60 days, your application will be considered abandoned and your file will be closed. You cannot take the oath outside Canada.

Remember the 'Eligibility'
The citizenship & maintenance of PR are two different things. For maintaining our PR [status] we need to reside in-Canada for a period of 2yrs - in every 5yrs [rolling cycle]. However, for citizenship we need to reside in-Canada for a period of 3yrs - in the 'last' 4yrs. This 'last 4yrs.' imply that the day u file your citizenship application - u must have 1095 days of 'physical presence' in Canada in the imdt preceeding 4yrs. Once the apps have been filed [as u have met the eligibility] - u r free to travel - reside abroad - but return in time for the Test & the Oath, on the date & time notified to u.

Reference:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/index.asp

Qorax

ICanStay

Mar 20, 2012
I also have a similar question:

Could I leave Canada after taking the citizenship test and return to Canada when I get the mail to appear for the oath ceremony?

I am asking this question with much concern because both the examiner and the CIC staff on the toll-free number confirmed that if a citizenship applicant wishes to leave the Canada after the test, he/she must inform CIC by phone (if the trip out of Canada is less than 2 month) and in writing including the reason therefor (if the trip out of Canada is longer than 2 months) to the local office that handles the applicant's case/file.

Moreover, if the trip is longer than 2 years, the CIC staff confirmed over the phone that CIC would then either hold the applicant's file till he/she comes back to Canada to reactivate it or cancel the application with the advice for re-application!