+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD required? how long applying from nicaragua

poppy88

Jul 24, 2013
So i lost mr pr card about a month ago
applied for a new one

but, im flying to nicaragua next week and was hoping to get a prtd for my return to canada, i leave on the 10th and return on the 26th, do i
a) need one can i just return as a visitor?
b) how long does this roughly take, as I was unaware you need to send off your passport

Any other options i may have?

I've been living in canada since feb 2012, july 1st 2014 i gained PR status

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a) Where is your passport from? If you are visa exempt, the airline may allow you to board as a visitor.

b) PR TD applications can take several weeks or some months depending on the visa office. The visa office taking PR TD applications for Nicaragua is Guatemala, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/guatemala.asp so you can try emailing them and asking about their processing time.

poppy88

Jul 24, 2013
I've emailed both but there is a 3 day delay/they won't answer emails where the answer is on the website.

My passport is UK but I dont want to risk being offered that, as I'm guessing they'll ask me at the border why i'm here and see that i've been in canada for the past 4 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poppy88 said:
I've emailed both but there is a 3 day delay/they won't answer emails where the answer is on the website.

My passport is UK but I dont want to risk being offered that, as I'm guessing they'll ask me at the border why i'm here and see that i've been in canada for the past 4 years.
When you board the flight back, you just show your UK passport but when you arrive in Canada, you can take a copy of your COPR with you to prove that you are a PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can board the plan without a PR card and an eTA, then a PR TD is not needed. You can not get an eTA because you are a PR and although it's strictly not required until this fall, the airline may have their own opinion on that.