+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Delays - Feeling Helpless

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
So I had to cancel my flight ticket 2nd time since High Commission at Delhi could not process my TD in 4 weeks!!!
I had even submitted a cover letter explaining that I have a full time job in Toronto, and provided them a confirmed return ticket. Submitted last 5 years of tax returns, reference letters from employer, employment history, recent pay slips, copy of PR card etc etc. I tried to show them that I had a pretty solid history living in Canada, and I had only been a PR for less than a year so no RO problems.
Given the gravity of urgency with regards to my employment, they dint care a bit!
So I guess my question is, since they don't want to provide any info at all and could theoretically take infinite amount of time to process a TD, is there any thing I could do on my side until they decide my career and life?
Is this system seriously so lame that no one can be held responsible on their side. They potentially may have destroyed so many careers with the way they have been functioning.

PS - I dont want to ask for my passport back at this point to travel via US so this option is out.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Other than trying to contact them by phone, email or in person to stress urgency of your situation or to make sure they didn't simply lose your app, there is really nothing you can do.

Perhaps you can try contacting your local MP in Canada to explain the situation, although I have no idea if MPs would get involved in PR TD apps.

Other VACs can process PR TDs in days if requested, I'm surprised some like in Delhi seem incapable of doing so as well. Definitely a system in need of some repairs.

Last edited:

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
I am pretty sure they did not lose my app because I had a lady called me from High Commission on January 8, asking to register a FIR for my lost PR card and send them a copy. I even told her during the call that its urgent since I am full time employed, and she told me that they will process my app in 2 days if I send them a copy of FIR at the same day - which I did.

Its been 3 weeks since that call happened and nothing so far. I have been calling VFS helpline but they are less than useless with a standard answer that they dont know. I have been trying to call High Commission on the number I had received the call, and sent them numerous follow up emails - nothing, no response!!!

Its almost like a lame joke.

Reactions: zardoz

roq

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
So I had to cancel my flight ticket 2nd time since High Commission at Delhi could not process my TD in 4 weeks!!!
I had even submitted a cover letter explaining that I have a full time job in Toronto, and provided them a confirmed return ticket. Submitted last 5 years of tax returns, reference letters from employer, employment history, recent pay slips, copy of PR card etc etc. I tried to show them that I had a pretty solid history living in Canada, and I had only been a PR for less than a year so no RO problems.
Given the gravity of urgency with regards to my employment, they dint care a bit!
So I guess my question is, since they don't want to provide any info at all and could theoretically take infinite amount of time to process a TD, is there any thing I could do on my side until they decide my career and life?
Is this system seriously so lame that no one can be held responsible on their side. They potentially may have destroyed so many careers with the way they have been functioning.

PS - I dont want to ask for my passport back at this point to travel via US so this option is out.
It's really unfortunate. They should prioritise genuine PRTD applications (PRs with employment over PRs with just soft landing). Even I have similar background as you. Fortunately, I got my PRTD in 3 working days from VFS/Canadian Consulate in Bangalore, when applied on Dec 28, 2017.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
@roq: You are one lucky person! Here, I am just totally helpless and counting the days. I have started tweeting to high commission and some few others who are in position to help, however, haven't received a response yet.

I hope someday karma gets those irresponsible fat asses too. This is what happens when such incompetent miscreants get into the position of such responsibility that could affect careers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Might be due to the fact that you are dealing with a situation where your documents were stolen. Lots of problems with fake document trade in many countries. Not saying that you are involved bit it may involve police, etc

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Well, looks like the other person had managed to get it in 4 days (in the same country).in different center though. So it has to do with the efficiency of the people working there. This is the first time I am dealing with something that works in so much secrecy, that's probably because they would otherwise be exposed for their incompetence or corruption or I don't know what it might be.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Well, looks like the other person had managed to get it in 4 days (in the same country).in different center though. So it has to do with the efficiency of the people working there. This is the first time I am dealing with something that works in so much secrecy, that's probably because they would otherwise be exposed for their incompetence or corruption or I don't know what it might be.
Not likely.

What is more likely:

Might be due to the fact that you are dealing with a situation where your documents were stolen. Lots of problems with fake document trade in many countries. Not saying that you are involved bit it may involve police, etc
I doubt OP is persuaded, but for anyone else following this topic or otherwise interested in these issues, yeah safe-keeping PR card and passport and such while traveling should always be a big priority.

Losing travel documents and/or other important documents while traveling has been a paranoia of mine for around a half century or so, since I started traveling internationally as an adult. There are very good reasons why there is so much emphasis on securing one's important documents.

While it is impossible to guess what questions might be asked or considered, how it is that one loses a PR card but does not lose their passport at the same time might be one. Who does not keep their PR card with their passport? Or why? Not sure these are questions actually asked but it is easy to guess they might be.

For someone who loses their documents or has them stolen, unfortunately how it goes is going to vary considerably. While obvious indicators of credibility loom large, there is additionally a wide range of variables which can have an impact on how smoothly the process will go in the effort to replace documents or obtain substitute travel documents. For anyone it will be a significant inconvenience. For some it can be a lengthy, more trying inconvenience or even be so difficult as to be a serious hardship. Hang onto those D' things.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
^This doesn't really help me regarding how do I push this endless process somehow.
Also, if you are wondering how could someone lose a card but not passport, its pretty simple coz the pr card doesn't come attached to passport, and can easily fit in a wallet which is more often a primary target for thieves. I certainly hope that high commission is not stuck with such questions and therefore delaying it.

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
I am so sorry about your situation.

My PRTD took about three weeks (excluding mail time) and I lived in the same sense of uncertainty every day, not knowing when to change my flight to and when I can return home.

A few personal suggestions:

1. Follow-up and try not to give up! It sounds like you don't need my advice on this department and it is unfortunate that you are receiving non-answer responses but you should continue trying. I called my VFS and then the embassy about once (and sometimes three times) a day throughout the three weeks as well as emailed them. It did not expedite my application but it did keep me well aware of the processing stages and where my application was at (mine had to be sent to a VFS and then send to the Embassy of Canada, a two-stage process).

2. When following up, try not to come off as pestering or annoying (even if you may feel frustrated), always be courteous and kind. These call agents are people and they respond better to respect and compassion. The benefit of calling more is that you may get different agents and get lucky with one who is more willing to help. (I actually became almost-friends with my call person in the local VFS as he took my call every day).

3. Try to include supporting materials when you contact the embassy, if plain email inquiry doesn't solicit a response. The inclusion of any additional materials that support the urgency of your case or your residency claims can help (Ex: I was asked for additional materials and I send in about ten documents, ranging from the main ones, like school records and financial statements to trivial ones like gym membership contracts). These documents not only strengthen your case but force the agent on the receiving end to at least acknowledge and pass on your email and its contents (while another email asking for updates can be easily ignored). It may or may not help in soliciting a response but under desperate measures, any tactic is worthwhile. This also can proactively solve any issues that may be due to insufficient materials (I have been asked for additional materials in my PRTD app).

4. Try to request in person pick up of your passport in advance, if possible. This can save you anywhere from 1 - 5 days of mailing time, depending on the country.

5. If the embassy allows visa appointments registrations, try those. Go see them in person if nothing is working but do so with an appointment, you will not be allowed to enter without one.

6. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst: Inform and update your employer in Canada, do not book any more flights until you have the passport, etc. You will know what's best for your case but do prepare for a longer stay than you'd hoped for.

6. Remember that it will eventually work out! Try not to worry yourself too much about what you cannot control and do the best that you can in this situation.

Hopefully, this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

waiting prtd

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
hi
^This doesn't really help me regarding how do I push this endless process somehow.
Also, if you are wondering how could someone lose a card but not passport, its pretty simple coz the pr card doesn't come attached to passport, and can easily fit in a wallet which is more often a primary target for thieves. I certainly hope that high commission is not stuck with such questions and therefore delaying it.
did you manage to get PRTD ?
please update thanks