+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

prtd approval

Sep 4, 2018
my daughter prtd was approved in july 2020 online h&c ground removed as minor . she was told to wait for passport stamping, when vacs opened in india in nov 20, we sent emails for passport stamping we got no response . due to lockdowns unemployment and vaccinations etc she could not plan her return to canada. in the meanwhile she finished online fellowship from canada . also her dad got seriously ill and had to undergo lung transplant . he passed away in march 22 we again sent mail to ircc . should she apply for prtd again, will she be approved kindly guide , canuck 78, dipenbill.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my daughter prtd was approved in july 2020 online h&c ground removed as minor . she was told to wait for passport stamping, when vacs opened in india in nov 20, we sent emails for passport stamping we got no response . due to lockdowns unemployment and vaccinations etc she could not plan her return to canada. in the meanwhile she finished online fellowship from canada . also her dad got seriously ill and had to undergo lung transplant . he passed away in march 22 we again sent mail to ircc . should she apply for prtd again, will she be approved kindly guide , canuck 78, dipenbill.
Instead of waiting for PRTD, why not get a US visa and explain your daugter's situation to Canadian border services at land borders?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume there was an expiry date on the PRTD which likely has passed. Is there an expiry date? If yes, you have no other option than to apply for a new PRTD. Does she have a US visa?

Just wanted to clarify about the PR card renewal? Did she apply for PR card renewal and PRTD? You ormally must apply for A PR card renewal from inside Canada? Did specify that she applied from outside Canada and did she apply for PR card renewal under H&C? Did she apply after PRTD approval? Did she include a Canadian residential address in her application?

Last edited:

IlonaTovmas

Oct 8, 2022
Assume there was an expiry date on the PRTD which likely has passed. Is there an expiry date? If yes, you have no other option than to apply for a new PRTD. Does she have a US visa?

Just wanted to clarify about the PR card renewal? Did she apply for PR card renewal and PRTD? You ormally must apply for A PR card renewal from inside Canada? Did specify that she applied from outside Canada and did she apply for PR card renewal under H&C? Did she apply after PRTD approval? Did she include a Canadian residential address in her application?
Instead of waiting for PRTD, why not get a US visa and explain your daugter's situation to Canadian border services at land borders?
Hello, can you tell me pls if my PR card has expired on 21.09.2022 and now I am outside and received a letter from Immigration to come in person to pick a PR Card, I have US Visa can I fly to US and cross the border by land, is a letter from immigration enough to proof them I am a PR and will they let me to cross the border with my expired card? I have also valid driver license and medical card

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, can you tell me pls if my PR card has expired on 21.09.2022 and now I am outside and received a letter from Immigration to come in person to pick a PR Card, I have US Visa can I fly to US and cross the border by land, is a letter from immigration enough to proof them I am a PR and will they let me to cross the border with my expired card? I have also valid driver license and medical card
Showing your expired PR card should be enough.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As previously mentionEd expired PR is fine. Since you don’t have a valid PR card you can be asked to show that you meet RO so you’re not reported for failing to meet RO. You should also bring proof that you have been living with your Canadian spouse abroad.

IlonaTovmas

Oct 8, 2022
As previously mentionEd expired PR is fine. Since you don’t have a valid PR card you can be asked to show that you meet RO so you’re not reported for failing to meet RO. You should also bring proof that you have been living with your Canadian spouse abroad.
Will you pls give some instructions how to proof, what kind of documents do I need to bring with me ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is RO?
Residency Obligation; what is required for a PR to maintain/keep their PR status.

In Canada for at least 730 days within each rolling 5 year period. Days abroad accompanying a Canadian spouse are usually counted but it depends on a few key factors.

IlonaTovmas

Oct 8, 2022
Residency Obligation; what is required for a PR to maintain/keep their PR status.

In Canada for at least 730 days within each rolling 5 year period. Days abroad accompanying a Canadian spouse are usually counted but it depends on a few key factors.
My case is the second, what factors?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My case is the second, what factors?
If you were living in Canada with your Canadian citizen spouse prior to the family moving abroad, and since then you have been living with your spouse abroad, there should be no need to worry about being allowed credit toward the Residency Obligation for the days you have been abroad with your spouse.

If the circumstances are otherwise . . .

If the circumstances are otherwise, and particularly if you have never actually been settled and living in Canada yourself, it would be a good idea for you and your spouse to be traveling together when you come to Canada via the U.S. While we have no idea how common it is, PRs relying on RO credit for days abroad accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse can be questioned about who-accompanied-whom, which is mostly about determining if the PR accompanied the citizen abroad rather than the citizen joining the PR abroad. Traveling together shows, on its face, you are at least accompanying one another. Beyond that it gets complicated, but again if you were living in Canada and moved abroad together, should be no need to worry about this.

IlonaTovmas

Oct 8, 2022
If you were living in Canada with your Canadian citizen spouse prior to the family moving abroad, and since then you have been living with your spouse abroad, there should be no need to worry about being allowed credit toward the Residency Obligation for the days you have been abroad with your spouse.

If the circumstances are otherwise . . .

If the circumstances are otherwise, and particularly if you have never actually been settled and living in Canada yourself, it would be a good idea for you and your spouse to be traveling together when you come to Canada via the U.S. While we have no idea how common it is, PRs relying on RO credit for days abroad accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse can be questioned about who-accompanied-whom, which is mostly about determining if the PR accompanied the citizen abroad rather than the citizen joining the PR abroad. Traveling together shows, on its face, you are at least accompanying one another. Beyond that it gets complicated, but again if you were living in Canada and moved abroad together, should be no need to worry about this.
We were living together and moved abroad together with our kids(also Canadian citizens), Now I will be back to Canada alone, I have applied for the document proofing that we live together abroad and will bring it with me. In Canada we have the same address on taxes,driver license etc..is that enough to proof ?