+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRs with Nexus

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Maybe doesn’t add value but wondering for those who are PR and have Nexus, if you have any issues with regularly crossing border (daily or weekly). I am PR accompanying Canadian citizen abroad, recently received extended PRTD, and hope to start travelling into Canada more regularly or even commuting across border.

Last edited:

missmypartner

Sep 20, 2019
United States
Category........
FAM
Maybe doesn’t add value but wondering for those who are PR and have Nexus, if you have any issues with regularly crossing border (daily or weekly). I am PR accompanying Canadian citizen abroad, recently received extended PRTD, and hope to start travelling into Canada more regularly or even commuting across border.
Im currently in the PR process and hoping to have an approval soon. I also applied for a nexus card as I cross the border frequently, but I hear the application time for nexus can be longer than 18 months. I cross weekly and its a crap shoot.....sometimes its super fast and sometimes i've wait an hour. It also depends on if the crossing has a designated lane. There are three crossing here and two have dedicated nexus lanes and then there is a special crossing just for nexus holders. The ports of entry that have designated nexus lanes don't always open them. But I still think having nexus is worth it as when the lanes are open, I see those cars zip through. But it all depends on the day and the time of day you cross.

Reactions: ليث

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
I had no issues crossing the border with my Nexus. I have been asked if I'll be moving back, etc. Also have had the US officer question my ability to be in US & Canada. But legally, you're allowed to keep your Canadian status as long as you live abroad with a Canadian PR. I told him that and he looked it up and said ok and left it at that. lol

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Im currently in the PR process and hoping to have an approval soon. I also applied for a nexus card as I cross the border frequently, but I hear the application time for nexus can be longer than 18 months. I cross weekly and its a crap shoot.....sometimes its super fast and sometimes i've wait an hour. It also depends on if the crossing has a designated lane. There are three crossing here and two have dedicated nexus lanes and then there is a special crossing just for nexus holders. The ports of entry that have designated nexus lanes don't always open them. But I still think having nexus is worth it as when the lanes are open, I see those cars zip through. But it all depends on the day and the time of day you cross.
I think Nexus apps are moving faster. I applied at end ofJune and was approved this week. No interview required, though I had nexus years ago so maybe that helped.

H06

Sep 26, 2017
Surrey BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
15 March 2021 (Paper Application)
Doc's Request.
24-02-2022 Schedule A ( Dependant)
AOR Received.
24-02-2022
Med's Request
03-03-2022 Medical Passes (old medicals)
I think Nexus apps are moving faster. I applied at end ofJune and was approved this week. No interview required, though I had nexus years ago so maybe that helped.
Yes ! Having a card earlier seems to be the reason behind the quick turnaround time. I applied in April and six months almost without any movement.