+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person can buy house with mortgage?

Griffindor

Jan 20, 2022
If I am not mistaken, protected persons can get the same loans and mortgages as Canadian citizens. Better to ask a Mortgage Broker, and they will tell you all the details. You will indeed not find 100% reliable information here. Maybe it depends on the company because not all companies have the same rules, which surprised me. When I wanted to take out a mortgage, I consulted with different banks and companies, and each has its own rules and offers. So be careful and choose the best company. For example, I was looking for an excellent offer to take out a mortgage with a low monthly rate, and Mortgage Advice York proposed the most suitable one. So don't limit yourself to just one company or one bank.

Reactions: Me348

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I am not mistaken, protected persons can get the same loans and mortgages as Canadian citizens. Better to ask a Mortgage Broker, and they will tell you all the details. You will indeed not find 100% reliable information here. Maybe it depends on the company because not all companies have the same rules, which surprised me. When I wanted to take out a mortgage, I consulted with different banks and companies, and each has its own rules and offers. So be careful and choose the best company. For example, I was looking for an excellent offer to take out a mortgage with a low monthly rate, and Mortgage Advice York proposed the most suitable one. So don't limit yourself to just one company or one bank.
Until you get PR you still don’t have longterm status in Canada so getting a mortgage will be more difficult just like anyone else with a limited time as a temporary resident in Canada.

Reactions: Norijal and 116sg17

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
But that link you posted , is if you want a mortgage in York, like the York in the UK aka United Kingdom. You know , across the pond ? Could be other countries have different rules when one is applying for a mortgage.

Reactions: Norijal

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
and the link is in the UK. No one said protected persona can not get same loans and mortgage as Canadians, but risk assessment will be different based on the status, and you'll likely be asked to put more deposit than if you could wait until you become a PR

Reactions: Norijal

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Your down payment was 5% while you were a protected refugee? Could you please share contact information of the realtor?

@MONABKA, Which province do you live? I live in Quebec and my realtor also lives and licensed in Quebec. The most important thing to do is to speak to both banks and brokers. Both of them will provide the necessary information you need and you’ll be able to pick a suitable option. There’s no rule that says a protected person can’t buy a house in Canada. As a matter of fact, a protected person can get same loans and grants as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL TAX BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A LANDED IMMIGRANT. Please check www.canada.ca under mortgage section for more information.

MONABKA

Apr 20, 2022
@MONABKA, Which province do you live? I live in Quebec and my realtor also lives and licensed in Quebec. The most important thing to do is to speak to both banks and brokers. Both of them will provide the necessary information you need and you’ll be able to pick a suitable option. There’s no rule that says a protected person can’t buy a house in Canada. As a matter of fact, a protected person can get same loans and grants as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL TAX BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A LANDED IMMIGRANT. Please check www.canada.ca under mortgage section for more information.
Can you please send me where exactly "A protected person can get same loans and grants as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL TAX BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A LANDED IMMIGRANT " is written in the website?

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
I totally disagree with your analogy. I was a protected person when I applied for mortgage. I got offers from TD Bank, CIBC and National bank with my 5% deposit payment. Banks in Canada does not discriminate against any one. You are eligible for loans if you are a protected person, permanent resident or Canadian citizen. Most importantly, you must be credit worthy and proof to the bank/lender that you are capable of your repayment. Please do your research well.

Last edited:
Reactions: zak86

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
I totally disagree with your analogy. I was a protected person when I applied for mortgage. I got offers from TD Bank, CIBC and National bank with my 5% deposit payment. Banks in Canada does not discriminate against any one. You are eligible for loans if you are a protected person, permanent resident or Canadian citizen. Most importantly, you must be credit worthy and proof to the bank/lender that you are capable of your repayment. Please do your research well.
did you get the mortgage with a Notice of decision? was it from bank or lender B?