+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…

ISM_14

Jan 27, 2018
Hi all, What are the best documents to provide for this?

From the options provided in the Appendix A - I seem to be unsure of all of them and would love your inputs on whether the following would suffice:

- Employment record or pay stubs > Can I submit the last 2.5 years worth of pay stubs? I don't have them for all 5ish years but I can produce the last 2.5 years' worth (would that suffice?)
- Notice of assessment > I haven't done my taxes for 2023 but don't want to wait to do it before I apply > I kind of need the PR card soonish > can I submit 2019-22?
- Bank statement > I can produce all statements but given that we only get monthly statements from the bank login - it feels like a nightmare
- Lease agreements > I don't have all of the agreements from my previous tenancies (Some were signed in person and got lost in transit) - besides, how would one validate when I vacated the apartment?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.. some help on this would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I've spent less than 600 days out of Canada during the last 4 yes / 10 months. (most of it was because I made a soft landing).

P.S. P.S - Speaking of soft landing - those of you who made a soft landing, how did you explain it in your 'reason for time spent outside of Canada'?

Many thanks again

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, What are the best documents to provide for this?

From the options provided in the Appendix A - I seem to be unsure of all of them and would love your inputs on whether the following would suffice:

- Employment record or pay stubs > Can I submit the last 2.5 years worth of pay stubs? I don't have them for all 5ish years but I can produce the last 2.5 years' worth (would that suffice?)
Maybe I'm overthinking this.. some help on this would be most appreciated.
You are overthinking it. The answer to basically all of your questions is as for the paystubs: they do NOT ask for several years of paystubs, just TWO pieces of evidence.

That can be two paystubs, two etc, of whatever else. They do NOT have to cover the whole period. Mix and match is probably the way to go. Although it probably also doesn't matter.

You are providing EVIDENCE of some residency in Canada, not PROOF that you spent 730 dyas plus in Canada.

(This is covered in basically every other thread on the topic here, as well)

ISM_14

Jan 27, 2018
You are overthinking it. The answer to basically all of your questions is as for the paystubs: they do NOT ask for several years of paystubs, just TWO pieces of evidence.

That can be two paystubs, two etc, of whatever else. They do NOT have to cover the whole period. Mix and match is probably the way to go. Although it probably also doesn't matter.

You are providing EVIDENCE of some residency in Canada, not PROOF that you spent 730 dyas plus in Canada.

(This is covered in basically every other thread on the topic here, as well)
ah that's a relief to know. Thank you.

I guess what threw me off was the 'notice of assessment' option as it mentions:
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
I figured if they want 5 years of notice of assessments perhaps they want 5 years of everything.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
ah that's a relief to know. Thank you.

I guess what threw me off was the 'notice of assessment' option as it mentions:
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
I figured if they want 5 years of notice of assessments perhaps they want 5 years of everything.
Yes, that is confusing. This change of asking for evidence (for which they use the word proof, which, yes, is one meaning, but one that implies a lot more complete records) is recent. I think they simply forgot to edit that one line about NOAs to take out the five years when it's not really required.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping to send this out today.
Good luck, let others know how it works out, this new requirment has a lot of people anxious.

In practice, it appears - so far - that other factors like having a clear travel record is far more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISM_14

ISM_14

Jan 27, 2018
Reporting back - got my new PR card in less than two weeks. Interesting detail though - received it in an open envelope that looks deliberately opened. Don’t know what to make of it.

• Wow
Reactions: YVR123