+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Separation issue

AlexMorris

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all,

I sent my PR application in mid February. Under marital status section I choose legally separated and I chose Divorce as they way the marriage ended.
My ex-wife is PR owner ( or citizen) and we separated since Dec 2018 with not in good terms.

Today I received a letter requesting proof of separation, However I didn't apply for divorce yet and the letter wants this proof in a week. What should I do now? Can I provide proofs that we are living separately and use it as a proof? Or whats the process time for divorce if I apply for it immediately.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I sent my PR application in mid February. Under marital status section I choose legally separated and I chose Divorce as they way the marriage ended.
My ex-wife is PR owner ( or citizen) and we separated since Dec 2018 with not in good terms.

Today I received a letter requesting proof of separation, However I didn't apply for divorce yet and the letter wants this proof in a week. What should I do now? Can I provide proofs that we are living separately and use it as a proof? Or whats the process time for divorce if I apply for it immediately.

Thank you.
You can request an extension to submit documents.

Do you have any proof of your ex's PR status?

You should provide whatever you can and yes, you should apply for divorce and submit proof of that.

AlexMorris

Dec 7, 2018
You can request an extension to submit documents.

Do you have any proof of your ex's PR status?

You should provide whatever you can and yes, you should apply for divorce and submit proof of that.
Yes I can prove that she was on PR at the time we were living together.
Do you think a letter of explanation where I show my own home contract and prove that we are living separately is enough?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you think a letter of explanation where I show my own home contract and prove that we are living separately is enough?
I can't say if it will be enough. Show what ever proof you have, along with proof of her PR status.

Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If you have proof that she is a PR (e.g. scan of her PR card), then the whole question is moot, since PRs cannot be part of an application in the first place.

Letter of explanation plus proof of her PR status should be enough, IN THIS CASE. If she were not a PR, then you would need to do more to advance the legal divorce...