+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of PR status ?

amr95

Jul 31, 2012
Hello everyone

I'm in a very complicated situation and I'd appreciate any input/opinions on this

I landed in Canada back in 2010 with my mother (my father died in 2002) but I soon went back after my mother couldn't find a job

I didn't enter Canada until this year (2014) and luckily I was not reported at the airport for not meeting the obligation and enrolled in a
Canadian university

However given that my PR card expires next year, my university wants me to submit a valid one so that I can be charged the domestic
fees for next year. I obviously cannot apply for renewal because I haven't met the 2 year requirement

Is there anyway I could prove my PR status without a valid card ? I'll probably be charged the International fees if I don't

I was thinking of applying under H/C grounds (minor removed) but a qualified immigration attorney strongly advised me against and
said that even though I was removed by mother, I could still lose the appeal.

Any input ? I feel like I'm in a limbo because I cannot provide a study visa but I can't provide a valid PR card either. I feel that I might not be able to continue my studies because I cannot provide a legal document.

memo123

Mar 6, 2012
Hi..have you tried to use the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence)??...the one that you get before you do your landing//

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR card is one way to prove your status in Canada but is definitely not the only way. You may submit the Confirmation of Permanent Resident form you received when you landed. If you cannot find it then apply for a replacement. If school asks for your PR card then tell them you dont have it, there is no obligation for permanent residents to carry it or have one from the first place. Every permanent resident should however have the landing records (i.e. confirmation of permanent residence) at all time. You will need that to apply for citizenship too.

I personally wouldnt try to renew the card if residency obligations havent been met, too risky.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
If nothing works, then pay the International student fee and later you can claim that you are charged wrongly at the time of admission (once you have new one after RO met).

At what time exactly your PR card would expire, I mean in what month of 2015. You cannot renew six month before the expiry date. Secondly University or any one other institute shouldn't ask you for renewed PR card as long as you have Valid PR card even a day more after the application submitted, can you share which Canadian University is this?