Feb 2, 2016
Passport Req..
Permanent residency fee- requested March 23-
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2016
LANDED..........
April 28, 2016
Hi All,

I am on implied status right now. I had to apply for an extension on my BWOP because CIC is taking over a year to process my PR application. So my employer asked me to provide proof that I applied for my extension and that I am on implied status. They told me they needed a letter from CIC, but when I phone CIC they said they do not do that and that my employer should be okay with proof of postage and receipts.

Do you guys have any experience in this? Thanks!

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
immigrantbee said:
Hi All,

I am on implied status right now. I had to apply for an extension on my BWOP because CIC is taking over a year to process my PR application. So my employer asked me to provide proof that I applied for my extension and that I am on implied status. They told me they needed a letter from CIC, but when I phone CIC they said they do not do that and that my employer should be okay with proof of postage and receipts.

Here is an email I sent to my employer last year regarding BOWP and implied status. The links may have changed, and your dates will be different, but feel free to use this format.

As discussed, here is some more information about my bridging visa and work situation. I realize this will probably get a little confusing, so if you need any extra clarification, please let me know!

As you know, my current work visa expires on Dec xx, 2015. I applied for permanent residency through Canadian Experience Class (CEC) on Sept 22, 2014 and received my positive eligibility assessment on Feb 2, 2015. The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website for processing times (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp) shows a processing time of 14 months from that date, meaning I would hopefully receive my PR status around June 2016.

To deal with the increased processing times of permanent residency applications (they used to be 1-2 months, now 14), CIC introduced a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). The link for that permit is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp. In essence, the permit is designed to "bridge" from the expiration of a current permit to the finalization of a permanent residency application. One of the main stipulations for a BOWP is that you can only apply once you have less than 4 months remaining on your current work permit. I applied online for my BOWP on August xx, 2015 (application number Wxxxxxxxxx). The current processing time for a BOWP (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp) is 110 days as of Nov 13, 2015. This puts my BOWP approval somewhere around Dec 18, 2015.

If my BOWP is not approved before the end of my current work visa on Dec xx, 2015, I will enter implied status. This website has some more information about implied status - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp but I'll copy and paste the important information here:

A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.
If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, R186(u) and R189 (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

So, for me to continue working under implied status, I MUST remain in Canada until I receive my BOWP, which I will be doing.

So, in summary (and to answer your questions), I have attached a screenshot of the names of documents submitted for my bridging permit, and will send through my actual application once I have access to it. If I do not receive my bridging permit by Dec xx, 2015 when my current permit expires, I will enter implied status and be able to continue working under the same conditions until my bridging permit is approved as long as I remain in Canada.

Reactions: frankroz

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
If you applied online, print out all information available... the page which has the application date on it, the letters, etc.

immigrantbee

May 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014/ Received 18-09-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Done upfront
Med's Done....
Feb 2, 2016
Passport Req..
Permanent residency fee- requested March 23-
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2016
LANDED..........
April 28, 2016
Thanks for the letter.

My application is paper based, so I can't go online to provide proof. I can provide proof of postage and receipts though.

Kellyvalentine123

Mar 26, 2016
I Need to provide proof for implied status as well. I sent through Canada post as normal mail and did not get a tracking number. I do have a copy of the fee receipt. Will that work alone?

Cabra

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport 08-03-2016
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
File Transfer...
RPRF 03-03-2016
Med's Request
03-02-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-04-2016 (Received at CIC on April 06th)
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016 (Received passports back on April 22nd)
LANDED..........
25-04-2016
Kellyvalentine123 said:
I Need to provide proof for implied status as well. I sent through Canada post as normal mail and did not get a tracking number. I do have a copy of the fee receipt. Will that work alone?
I don't think that will work alone. Did you get AOR from CIC? I think that's what you should provide to your employer if you applied on paper.

Kellyvalentine123

Mar 26, 2016
I have not received AOR neither by email, mail or online on cic. I have been checking my application status on mycic with my fee reciept # and comes up as if im not in the system. I sent it 3/20/2016 so im sure they have received it . does it take them awhile to AOR ?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I think your employer is trying to be hard on you! Listen the same situation happened to me back in 2013 and all I did was to convince the HR to bare a few minutes and call CIC. So she did and asked about implied status and asked them all the questions they had about my situation. CIC explained to her what implied status is and how it works. My employer trusted me on it. Bare in mind that I showed the HR the post receipt of the package I sent for extending my WP just to make her more comfortable and so she knows I have sent an application form in, to be eligible for implied status.

Unfortunately you can't do much now since you don't have an AOR or any proof, and it seems to me that you have explained the situation thoroughly to your employer already. But you have my-style-of-approach left up your sleeve, I suggest that you make them call CIC if possible so they get more clarification. Make them ask all the questions they have, to make sure there is no blurred lines.

Best of luck mate, just stay put, you'll get through eventually. Stay patient.

Reactions: Mittsy

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Kellyvalentine123 said:
I have not received AOR neither by email, mail or online on cic. I have been checking my application status on mycic with my fee reciept # and comes up as if im not in the system. I sent it 3/20/2016 so im sure they have received it . does it take them awhile to AOR ?
You should be getting your AOR any week now. Stay put.

szczezuja

Jul 30, 2016
Hello,

I want to submit my application for visa extension by paper, however I will be applying the day before my visa expires. For visa extension does the Canadian Government look at when application was receive or by the postage stamp notifying the date it was send?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

szczezuja said:
Hello,

I want to submit my application for visa extension by paper, however I will be applying the day before my visa expires. For visa extension does the Canadian Government look at when application was receive or by the postage stamp notifying the date it was send?

1. Goes by the date received.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
szczezuja said:
Hello,

I wouldn't do that if I were you! I will send it couple of days before. Keep a copy of the post receipt, date and time. As long as it was sent before expiration of your visa you are good to go.

And NO it doesn't go by the date received. @PMM

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
immigrantbee said:
Hi All,

You will have to show your employer this information from the IRCC website, which states that IRCC does NOT provide confirmation of implied status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=189&top=17

Mittsy

Aug 15, 2018
I think your employer is trying to be hard on you! Listen the same situation happened to me back in 2013 and all I did was to convince the HR to bare a few minutes and call CIC. So she did and asked about implied status and asked them all the questions they had about my situation. CIC explained to her what implied status is and how it works. My employer trusted me on it. Bare in mind that I showed the HR the post receipt of the package I sent for extending my WP just to make her more comfortable and so she knows I have sent an application form in, to be eligible for implied status.

Unfortunately you can't do much now since you don't have an AOR or any proof, and it seems to me that you have explained the situation thoroughly to your employer already. But you have my-style-of-approach left up your sleeve, I suggest that you make them call CIC if possible so they get more clarification. Make them ask all the questions they have, to make sure there is no blurred lines.

Best of luck mate, just stay put, you'll get through eventually. Stay patient.
Hii

What about the SIN NO?

Mittsy

Aug 15, 2018
under the implied status while your pr application is under progress,what to do with expired SIN?

can i continue to work?