+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds - Joint account with father

karthiksankar

Jun 22, 2017
Hi,

For my POF, can I present the statements from a joint account with my father? He is not part of the application

Karthik

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Yes!! From my own experience, you can.
how? I'm pretty sure the only way to use a joint account is whether it's by a couple!!

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Not only that, the joint account for spouses depends on whether the spouse is accompanying. Doesn't make sense they'd accept a joint account with a father who's not immigrating. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Not only that, the joint account for spouses depends on whether the spouse is accompanying. Doesn't make sense they'd accept a joint account with a father who's not immigrating. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
If your joint account has another family member on it, such as a father or mother, based on an article I saw written by legalfalcon, and also based on Jay1987's own experience, there's a POSSIBILITY that IRCC will accept it (and that's an 'if' because I suspect it's dependent on whichever Immigration Officer is reviewing your file) if you include an affidavit from the other family member stating that you have full permission to use all of the funds in the account for settlement purposes. I did this and got it notarized. But since it's such an uncertainty, I made sure I had other funds that meet the threshold, just in case...

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Probably, I wouldn't take the risk. In OP's case I'd open a new bank account, transfer the money, get a gift deed.

If your joint account has another family member on it, such as a father or mother, based on an article I saw written by legalfalcon, and also based on Jay1987's own experience, there's a POSSIBILITY that IRCC will accept it (and that's an 'if' because I suspect it's dependent on whichever Immigration Officer is reviewing your file) if you include an affidavit from the other family member stating that you have full permission to use all of the funds in the account for settlement purposes. I did this and got it notarized. But since it's such an uncertainty, I made sure I had other funds that meet the threshold, just in case...

Gooner93

Nov 14, 2018
Hi,
I have submitted a joint account myself but my bank letter does mention that %50 of it is mine which is enough according to CIC's chart. Do you think it is still unacceptable? Do I need to submit a letter from my mother saying 50% of the money is mine and that she will not claim it as hers ever?!
Thanks

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
The simplest solution is an affidavit by the other holder confirming that you have full access to all the funds in the account and are free to withdraw and use them as settlement funds for your movement to Canada.

A human officer will read it, see that the other account holder is your father, read the affidavit and then pass the file along marking it as acceptable POF.

Gooner93

Nov 14, 2018
The simplest solution is an affidavit by the other holder confirming that you have full access to all the funds in the account and are free to withdraw and use them as settlement funds for your movement to Canada.

A human officer will read it, see that the other account holder is your father, read the affidavit and then pass the file along marking it as acceptable POF.
Thank you for your response.
I do not need access to the whole money. My own share of the money (%50) is enough to cover the costs. And my bank statement does show that 50% of the money is mine. The thing that I am unsure of is if they do not accept the whole idea of joint account with someone other than your spouse no matter what the bank statement shows.
Thanks again

Gooner93

Nov 14, 2018
Hello to all the people who have the same problem when reading this!
I received my ppr today and the shared account of mine with the description above was not an issue fortunately.
So good luck to you all.