+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds for SOWP

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Hi,

I needed some advice on the requirement for proof of funds for a SOWP. I have been on my PGWP for the past 1 year and have been working at the same company since. I just got married and would like to apply SOWP for my wife. I have about $13000 CAD in the bank maintained for the last 6 months, but the only issue is that my wife does not have sufficient savings in her bank account in our home country. Would my funds be sufficient to apply? I can also attach my paystubs and my employment letter stating my annual salary of $51,000 CAD.

My wife has strong ties to her home country as she's a government officer with a stable job and can take a leave from her job until my PGWP expires.

Any suggestions are welcome! My wife having a sound bank statement/bank balance is not an option at the moment and will only delay the process further.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I needed some advice on the requirement for proof of funds for a SOWP. I have been on my PGWP for the past 1 year and have been working at the same company since. I just got married and would like to apply SOWP for my wife. I have about $13000 CAD in the bank maintained for the last 6 months, but the only issue is that my wife does not have sufficient savings in her bank account in our home country. Would my funds be sufficient to apply? I can also attach my paystubs and my employment letter stating my annual salary of $51,000 CAD.

My wife has strong ties to her home country as she's a government officer with a stable job and can take a leave from her job until my PGWP expires.

Any suggestions are welcome! My wife having a sound bank statement/bank balance is not an option at the moment and will only delay the process further.
Is this an arranged marriage? How much times have you spent in person during your relationship dating or after you’re married? It can be difficult to get an SOWP very soon after marriage especially if you have spent minimal time together in person or you don’t have a long relationship history because doing things as a couple alone marriage is not accepted.

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Is this an arranged marriage? How much times have you spent in person during your relationship dating or after you’re married? It can be difficult to get an SOWP very soon after marriage especially if you have spent minimal time together in person or you don’t have a long relationship history because doing things as a couple alone marriage is not accepted.
Thanks for your response.

It wasn’t an arranged marriage, no. We had a long distance relationship for over a year and have all kinds of communication proof. Spent over a month in person after getting officially married before I had to fly back to Canada. We were quite public about our relationship even before getting married and have social media posts dating back to 2022.

In this case, would the funds be sufficient? Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response.

It wasn’t an arranged marriage, no. We had a long distance relationship for over a year and have all kinds of communication proof. Spent over a month in person after getting officially married before I had to fly back to Canada. We were quite public about our relationship even before getting married and have social media posts dating back to 2022.

In this case, would the funds be sufficient? Thank you.
Impossible to stay if you’ll be able to get an SOWP. It sounds like you are applying for an SOWP soon after marriage and your relationship was primarily long distance which can lead to refusals on the first SOWP attempt. Did you have multiple in person visits before getting married or did you enter a long distance relationship while already in Canada and you got married during your first meeting as a couple? All you can do is attempt to apply. Processing times are relatively long so if you have another in person visit I would send in a webform with proof. When does your PGWP expire?

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Impossible to stay if you’ll be able to get an SOWP. It sounds like you are applying for an SOWP soon after marriage and your relationship was primarily long distance which can lead to refusals on the first SOWP attempt. Did you have multiple in person visits before getting married or did you enter a long distance relationship while already in Canada and you got married during your first meeting as a couple? All you can do is attempt to apply. Processing times are relatively long so if you have another in person visit I would send in a webform with proof. When does your PGWP expire?
My PGWP expires November next year. And yes, it was a long-distance relationship but we have known each other for quite a few years now and I can prove that. Plus my spouse also changed her surname to mine, not sure if that helps in terms of proving the genuineness of it. Our social media presence as a couple was also quite strong before our marriage. I cannot do another in person visit right now because I am also trying to work towards my permanent residence as that is also a focus.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PGWP expires November next year. And yes, it was a long-distance relationship but we have known each other for quite a few years now and I can prove that. Plus my spouse also changed her surname to mine, not sure if that helps in terms of proving the genuineness of it. Our social media presence as a couple was also quite strong before our marriage. I cannot do another in person visit right now because I am also trying to work towards my permanent residence as that is also a focus.
Changing your name does not affect anything. Being friends before dating also doesn’t have an impact on SOWP approval. In the end it comes down to the visa officer and if they feel like you have enough relationship proof to qualify for SOWP. Some get approved after a single visit and marriage and others get denied on their first attempt and have to apply again.

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Changing your name does not affect anything. Being friends before dating also doesn’t have an impact on SOWP approval. In the end it comes down to the visa officer and if they feel like you have enough relationship proof to qualify for SOWP. Some get approved after a single visit and marriage and others get denied on their first attempt and have to apply again.
Hoping for the best! Could you also answer my initial question about the proof of funds? Do you feel it would be sufficient?