+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof Of Canadian Citizenship From Birth

Odlum

Feb 1, 2024
Hi There,
I was born in the U.S. to two Canadian parents back in 1963. My parents returned to Canada one year later. I have a Canadian Registration of Birth Abroad certificate dated 1964. Many years later, I used this to obtain a Canadian Citizen Certificate; so I'm definitely a Canadian Citizen. The question I have is whether I'm a Canadian as of the date of my Birth, or the date of my Registration of Birth Abroad. As a dual citizen, this issue has serious implications for determining if I am a "Covered Expatriate" under the U.S. IRS rules. A related question is what documents I might need to prove my Canadian citizenship at birth to a non-Canadian entity such as the IRS? Is the Registration of Birth Abroad enough, or should I gather supporting documents such as my parents birth certificates showing they were born in Canada?

Many thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi There,
I was born in the U.S. to two Canadian parents back in 1963. My parents returned to Canada one year later. I have a Canadian Registration of Birth Abroad certificate dated 1964. Many years later, I used this to obtain a Canadian Citizen Certificate; so I'm definitely a Canadian Citizen. The question I have is whether I'm a Canadian as of the date of my Birth, or the date of my Registration of Birth Abroad. As a dual citizen, this issue has serious implications for determining if I am a "Covered Expatriate" under the U.S. IRS rules. A related question is what documents I might need to prove my Canadian citizenship at birth to a non-Canadian entity such as the IRS? Is the Registration of Birth Abroad enough, or should I gather supporting documents such as my parents birth certificates showing they were born in Canada?

Many thanks.
Would be asking an immigration lawyer.