+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of application

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
Hi all,

My wife is here in Canada and she has a valid work permit that expires in March. I am applying to sponsor her here in Canada. We will be applying for an extention but I understand we will or should show proof that we have submitted the sponsorship application etc. What do we use as proof that we have submitted the sponsor application etc?

thanks

dudebr

Star Member
May 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Receipt from CIC and Receipt with the tracking number from the company you used to send your application(Canada Post ?..)

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
dudebr said:
Receipt from CIC and Receipt with the tracking number from the company you used to send your application(Canada Post ?..)
Receipt from CIC? They send you a receipt when you submit an application?

Tuggie

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 6, 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Welcome to the forum.

Does your wife currently have an open work permit (can work for anyone anywhere in Canada) or a restricted work permit (must work for only one employer at a specific location)?

The reason I ask is because I have a restricted work permit and I didn't know to include the application for an open work permit with the PR application. I have found out since that it will speed it along if you submit it at the same time. Otherwise, you have to wait the 9 months until the first stage approval is received.

It also matters whether you are filing inland or out of Canada. Inland is very slow, so you may be better off filing out of Canada.

You may have already thought through all of these issues. I am only bringing them up because I didn't know about them at the time I filed and am now waiting a much longer time for everything than I would have had to wait if I would have known.

I hope it all works out for you.

Sincerely,
Tuggie

kiwikris

Oct 23, 2010
Ottawa, On
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville and Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
25-10-10
Med's Done....
18-09-2009
LANDED..........
08 Sep 2011
You don't get a recepit from CIC.

If you apply Inland you will have to send in an OWP with her PR as Tuggie advises. If her work permit expired before 1st stage approval she would be on "implied status" she would still be able to work but would not be covered by OHIP(Ontario only-not sure about other provinces). Depending on which country she is from it is most likely faster to apply outland and maybe just be out of work for a short time......eg people applying through the UK are getting PR in 4 months.

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
Tuggie my wife currently has an open work permit however it expires March 7 of 2011. So from what I understand if we apply for the PR and submit an application for an open work permit at the same time, and even if her open work permit expires, she would still be apble to work under "implied status" until we pass stage 1 and they issue a new permit?
We live in Manitoba and she is from Mexico. As I look at the time lines it is taking 9 months for stage 1 approval if we apply inland but 38 days for stage 1 approval if we apply out of Canada. So it would seem easier to apply from outside Canada even though she is here. Correct?

* Just was reading the posts under the topic "Mexico" and now I am not so sure we should apply out of Canada

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
Ok I was just down at the local CIC office and they confirmed she could still work even if her work permit expires due to the implied status. However her SIN number will expire at the end of her work permit and now we have to figure out how Service Canada can extend her SIN. Has anyone else gone through this?

kemeshia

Star Member
Feb 11, 2009
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You can still use the sin card until you get the new work permit, then they will renew it, after all it is the same number you are going to get back. I did this and there was no problem.

Tuggie

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 6, 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Hi Rob,

I have no idea about the total timeline for processing countries other than the USA (where I am from) and Canada (inland).

Two things to consider:

1. Check into health coverage for your wife. If you send in the OWP extension application with your spousal PR application, it is supposed to be approved at first stage approval. If I were to have to go on implied status (rather than getting an extension in time), I would no longer be covered by OHIP, the provincial health insurance in Ontario. Given that, the quicker first stage approval happens the better for your wife because she would then get the OWP extension and could extend her provincial health care coverage.

2. If you apply outside of Canada, I am not sure but I think you have to travel to the other country for any required interviews. Other than that, it seems like outland applications receive higher priority treatment.

Definitely think through everything and all of your options before you proceed because your choices can dramatically affect how long it will take to process the application and also could affect your wife's Canadian provincial health care coverage.

All the best,
Tuggie

Tuggie

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 6, 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Rob,

Check out the following thread in the Family Class Sponsorship forum:

Thread for Applications Sent in JUNE 2010

There is a recent post about experiences applying through Mexico. You could probably ask them some questions and get some good advice.

All the best,
Tuggie

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
Thanks again. Alot of good advice on this forum. I just wish CIC would be more personable and give proper advice.

R

robrod

Some of them do!... read about BlackBerry's Nanaimo local office super officer she has!. Or EyeoftheOcean's one she also has at her local office.

kiwikris

Oct 23, 2010
Ottawa, On
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville and Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
25-10-10
Med's Done....
18-09-2009
LANDED..........
08 Sep 2011
This is Inland process only. If you apply outland I don't think you can continue working....Your SIN stays the same and you just go in and renew it when you receive your OWP and it will be the same number anyway that starts with a 9. You would be on impled status so to be able to continue working the SIN is still active. It is not until you get PR that the number changes.
Either way you apply(in or out)
Good Luck! :)