+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Program Stacking - Help me interpret this right - (1+1) = 3 yr PGWP

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
Question regarding (1+1) yr program = 3 yr PGWP.

So I have completed a 1 yr PGWP eligible program (started Fall 2020) fully outside Canada on an approved study permit application (but never traveled to Canada).

Applied for a second study permit application for another 1 yr course (for Fall 2021) and waiting for PPR/final decision (timeline in signature). Now, worst case scenario, I don't get a decision in time OR my application gets refused and I have to defer to next year, then will this 1 year gap cause a problem in PGWP? (my college does not allow deferrals to any intake other than Fall)

I was trying to do my own research and found this https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

Length of the program:

The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.

Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.

Length of the PGWP that can be issued:

The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.

If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for a combination of a DVS with an AVS in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years (provided that the DVS program in Quebec is at least 900 hours in length).
So, as per my interpretation, the 1 year gap should not cause any problem in PGWP in case I complete the second program in 2023 instead of 2022. Any one else has second thoughts on this or may be I am missing something? It seems like a rare case because most people stack their programs without any gap of more than 3-4 months and they do get 3 yr PGWP. Any comments are welcome.

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021